Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help adjusting my new stance GR+ coilovers for my SC400!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-11, 11:45 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically, adding preload would raise it but I wouldn't recommend it for a couple reasons.
If you're really that worried, there's no way around getting down to work. And by "work," I mean taking out 1 bolt and possibly a nut for the sway bar. Just Unscrew the bottom mount, measure 1.5-2" on the threaded shock, put the collar/ring there, and screw it back on until you reach the collar. Measure the distance from the spring perches to the bottom mount collar and use that measurement as a guideline for the other side so you don't have to take off the other side's bottom mount.
It should only take like 1 hr, and you'll have the peace of mind + you'll be doing it right.
Old 08-29-11, 12:31 PM
91dx
Rookie

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
technically, adding preload would raise it but I wouldn't recommend it for a couple reasons.
If you're really that worried, there's no way around getting down to work. And by "work," I mean taking out 1 bolt and possibly a nut for the sway bar. Just Unscrew the bottom mount, measure 1.5-2" on the threaded shock, put the collar/ring there, and screw it back on until you reach the collar. Measure the distance from the spring perches to the bottom mount collar and use that measurement as a guideline for the other side so you don't have to take off the other side's bottom mount.
It should only take like 1 hr, and you'll have the peace of mind + you'll be doing it right.
Arg, I was afraid of that. Suppose I'll have to do the same for one of the rears. I don't think it'll be that easy for me. Those swaybar endlinks don't want to go anywhere for me. Unless you mean just unbolting the sway bar itself. Call me crazy, but I don't see this working unless I unbolt the uca again.

Last edited by 91dx; 08-29-11 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 02:02 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

are both sides of the car off the ground? if they are, there shouldnt' be any stress on the sway bar so just shake the sway bar up and down while pushing the endlink out and it should pop out.

and i'm gona call you crazy. there is no need at all to fiddle with the uca. Even if you end up having to uninstall the whole coilover, the coilover should be short enough to be taken out without having to touch anything else.
Old 08-29-11, 03:42 PM
91dx
Rookie

Originally Posted by ArodDaLob
are both sides of the car off the ground? if they are, there shouldnt' be any stress on the sway bar so just shake the sway bar up and down while pushing the endlink out and it should pop out
It should? I can't even unbolt the endlinks from the sway bar.
Old 08-29-11, 07:24 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes me less me around 20 minutes to adjust the rear, and around 30 minutes to adjust the front. It's easiest to work with either the front or the rear. Make sure to unbolt BOTH coilovers either from the top or the bottom, i find unbolting the bottom far easier. The rest of the suspension should drop enough to give you room to adjust the lower mounts.
Old 08-29-11, 08:45 PM
TomTooFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installation on my set took about 2 hours all together, including hight adjustment, but my dad owns a shop, so i had proper equipment