Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need New Brakes, Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 11:26 PM
jzafra88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New Brakes, Advice Please

So I need new rotors and pads. I know the dealership will overcharge. Aftermarket will probably be cheaper and better quality. Any advice? Brands?

As for pads, ceramic is the way to go?

Rotors, slotted? Drilled? Both?
Old 09-07-11, 11:50 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Best quality is usually OEM. The cheaper aftermarket parts aren't always the best. Of course there are aftermarket parts with better quality than OEM, but they are more expensive

If your not tracking it or anything, get some low dust pads off of Sewell and stick with OEM blank rotors (Sewell sells them too, or you can find comparables cheaper). Avoid drilled/slotted unless you really want them for show/track. My experiences with them are that slotted rotors eat pads faster and drilled rotors crack around the holes eventually. Either one, unless your tracking your car or something, your not really going to see any benefit.
Old 09-08-11, 12:09 AM
jzafra88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I was looking around the forum and saw blank Centric rotors. Would those match good with the low dust Sewell pads?
Old 09-08-11, 12:20 AM
jzafra88
Driver School Candidate

Are these the low dust pads on Sewell?

Old 09-08-11, 01:11 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your replacing the rears only? For the rear, i don't think they have a "low dust" pad because the rears barely make any dust as it is. It's the front brakes that dust a lot unless your using the low dust brake pads. I had centric replacement rotors on my old car, had no issues with them at all...but the OEM rotors are a good price on Sewell too. Funny thing is, when you search through 2007 is250 the rotors are there. When you search through 2009 is250 like you did in the picture, no rotors. I wasn't aware there was a difference...hmm...maybe someone else can chime in here.

Also, i noticed your pic doesn't show the CL discount. Create an account on Sewell and during registration put in that your clublexus username where it asks if your on any forums. Go back to the item and you'll see a discounted price just for being a CL member. For those same pads you have in the picture, the price should be $46.84 with the CL discount. Save nearly $20
Old 09-08-11, 05:59 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads all the way around on mine and I really like them. Great stopping power and almost no dust. 2 weeks on these pads I don't have as much dust as 1 day with the stock pads. I've only got about 500 miles on them so far, so time will tell.
Old 09-08-11, 06:17 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BamaIS
I just put Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads all the way around on mine and I really like them. Great stopping power and almost no dust. 2 weeks on these pads I don't have as much dust as 1 day with the stock pads. I've only got about 500 miles on them so far, so time will tell.
Your brake pads have nothing to do with your "stopping power"... any set of pads will stop the car in exactly the same distance as any other....anyone who tells you differently doesn't understand how brakes work. Different pads can do other things, but apart from service life, dust production, and the "feel" of the pad, they won't make any difference at all in normal driving performance.

As to dust- you must've had the original high-dust pads... the low dust ones don't produce hardly any at all.... 6 months of using them looks better than 6 hours of using the high-dust ones.

To the OP- Centric OEM blanks are fine... as noted the sewell price on the OEM rotors isn't bad either with the CL discount... and yes it's only the fronts that have a low-dust version since the rears don't need one.
Old 09-08-11, 06:32 AM
BamaIS
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Your brake pads have nothing to do with your "stopping power"... any set of pads will stop the car in exactly the same distance as any other....anyone who tells you differently doesn't understand how brakes work. Different pads can do other things, but apart from service life, dust production, and the "feel" of the pad, they won't make any difference at all in normal driving performance.

As to dust- you must've had the original high-dust pads... the low dust ones don't produce hardly any at all.... 6 months of using them looks better than 6 hours of using the high-dust ones.

To the OP- Centric OEM blanks are fine... as noted the sewell price on the OEM rotors isn't bad either with the CL discount... and yes it's only the fronts that have a low-dust version since the rears don't need one.
When I said "stopping power" I wasn't trying to say that it would stop shorter. In many cases when you change pads to a different material (say, from organic to ceramic) you can tell a difference in the normal braking duty.
Old 09-08-11, 07:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BamaIS
When I said "stopping power" I wasn't trying to say that it would stop shorter. In many cases when you change pads to a different material (say, from organic to ceramic) you can tell a difference in the normal braking duty.

Oh, sure, it can change the 'feel' of the brakes, but the car'll still stop in exactly the same distance...

the feel change is yet another advantage to the low-dust pads, they're much more linear, avoiding the on/off feeling the original high-dust ones gave.
Old 09-08-11, 02:14 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

I'm desperately looking for low dust brake pads. My front wheels are always lookin' like a dirty gunmetal compared to my rear wheels, lol.
Old 09-08-11, 02:20 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

sewell = ripoff, just get some ceramic from autozone dude! brakes are brakes man
Old 09-08-11, 07:41 PM
jzafra88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Your replacing the rears only? For the rear, i don't think they have a "low dust" pad because the rears barely make any dust as it is. It's the front brakes that dust a lot unless your using the low dust brake pads. I had centric replacement rotors on my old car, had no issues with them at all...but the OEM rotors are a good price on Sewell too. Funny thing is, when you search through 2007 is250 the rotors are there. When you search through 2009 is250 like you did in the picture, no rotors. I wasn't aware there was a difference...hmm...maybe someone else can chime in here.

Also, i noticed your pic doesn't show the CL discount. Create an account on Sewell and during registration put in that your clublexus username where it asks if your on any forums. Go back to the item and you'll see a discounted price just for being a CL member. For those same pads you have in the picture, the price should be $46.84 with the CL discount. Save nearly $20
Thanks for the tip on the CL discount! Didn't even know about that.

I'm looking to change the pads all around, dealership said I need new rotors as well for the rears.

Are these the low dust pads? Don't see any info if they're low dust or not

Old 09-08-11, 07:50 PM
jzafra88
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry but I dont even see just the rotors for 09 is250 on Sewell. All I see is the rotors for sale but with the calipers.
Old 09-09-11, 05:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

They changed the pads to the low dust ones from the factory mid-2009 model year, so Sewell is not listing the old/new pads for 2009+ models.

You likely got an early 2009 though with the high dust pads.

Look at front pads for a 2008 and you'll see the choice of regular or low-dust listed though.

(dunno why they're not listing rotors, far as I know those parts didn't change at all from pre 09 models)
Old 09-10-11, 01:18 PM
TOMMYPHAM
Pole Position

anyone here know about replace brake pads please help me : do i need buy the full kit ( shim kit , fitting kit ) when i replace new front pads or i just need new pads and still use my old shim + fitting kit on my caliper .

Last edited by TOMMYPHAM; 09-11-11 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Need New Brakes, Advice Please