Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bc racing vs Megan racing coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 02:04 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vibrations almost seem to be random. But it does seem to be worse if you absolutely slam the car, and if the height is different front to rear. This will happen with nay coilover. As you are changing the geometry and angle of the axles.

Reasons why I would recommend going with the BCR coilovers, they don't cost much more and have better features. Like locking lower rings, beefier shock bodies, available rubber mounts, and better ride quality.
Old 09-14-11, 09:58 PM
lowis250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going bc = winning
Old 09-14-11, 11:01 PM
Snubbles
Lexus Test Driver

I have BCR Coils from CircuitMS and i like it.
Old 09-19-11, 04:25 AM
HMFIC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sffd103
what type of vibrations?
It appears for the AWD folks, lowering the car makes the car vibrate. basically it almost feels like the axles are out of balance or the wheels are out of balance. But it happens when you lower the car. I've had the same issue before i lowered mine but it just became more apparent after I did lower the car.

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Spacers for the axles?.
The theory is this. when you lower the car, the axles get angled to the point of it's unnatural balance. The axles have CV cups and the other part of the axle is like a tripod. it has 3 wheels. Well for the longest part of the axles life was spent NOT lowered and it creates a wear inside the CV cups. But when you lower the car, it pulls the tripod inside the cv cup out a little bit and the wheels are now riding on the edge of the worn portion. Imagine the car wheel riding on the edge of the side of the road where the asphalt meets the dirt and your constantly riding on the asphalt/dirt/asphalt/dirt back and forth.

S2000's are known for this same theory and they've created Spacers to put between the differential and axle to push the inner axle back into it's normal location inside the cv cups. It works for s2000's but so far not successful for the is250's. Although, they were tried only on the front axles and not the rear.

Originally Posted by itruns
Trying to follow this... what are you trying to fix? Vibrations when the car is lowered excessively? So if you go low with coils you will pickup excessive vibrations? Makes sense to me.. the lower you go typically the shorter the stroke the strut can rebound.. but asking to be sure
yes and no. Yes about the vibrations while being lowered, but not because of the short stroke on the strut. It's more pronounced within the axle.

I've noticed that my car is about a 2 finger gap up front and a single finger gap in the rear with the roadmagnet springs with their 2 inch drop. The vibration seems to come from the rear which is lower than the front.

I need to get coilovers because i will then be able to leave the front at the height it's at now but raise the rear about a half inch. Pretty sure that will fix it but not being as low.

OR. someone could just buy new cv cups and leave the car lowered and let the wear begin at a new point inside the cv cups lol.
Old 09-19-11, 04:38 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell you specifically about an IS, but I've driven a Cressida with stance, BC, and Megan. The Megan and stance felt very similar, stance having a more noticeable difference between adjustment. BC is what I ended up going with. They feel better all around, am completely happy. Customer service is quick and excellent, had to replace an entire corner due to a wreck and was a very easy ordeal. And I get em for a grand shipped fro the br version. You can too!
Old 09-19-11, 10:25 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you Danny Colavecchio!!

A VERY reliable source sent me this link: http://www.modernperformance.com/blo...egan-coilovers

Check out his page on Facebook too:http://www.facebook.com/SlammeredInc
Old 09-19-11, 10:44 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Nice Mike. Thanks for the info