Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Black Caliper's Rock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 11:22 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find the hi-tem clear anywhere. I have checked three local places incl: Pep Boys, Kragen and Home Depot. Any ideas?
Old 11-02-02, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Synergy
I can't seem to find the hi-tem clear anywhere. I have checked three local places incl: Pep Boys, Kragen and Home Depot. Any ideas?
i went to the kragen on steven's creek and that's where i got mine? clear coat for duplicolor engine enamel?
Old 11-02-02, 01:24 AM
Synergy

good to know - I will go there this weekend....thanks rom!
Old 11-02-02, 03:55 AM
RMMGS4

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Synergy,
PM or call me if you want. My mailbox was full when you tried earlier today. I assume you wanted to know about the clear.

Since you and Rominl are following in my footsteps, take it from both of us. Follow the spray can directions to the letter or you will get wrinkling of the paint after about 1/2 hour. By the time you find this out, it will be too late.

Do no more than 3 or 4 light coats max and wait atleast 10-15 minutes between coats and take no longer than 1 hour to spray the last coat.

Let the paint dry atleast 2-3 hours before driving, but preferably don't do any driving with a lot of brake usage that will get the calipers hot for 24 hours.

It is very easy to apply the clear too thick and either drip and/or wrinkle if you spray too heavy. Also the heat from braking may also make the paint wrinkle if the paint is still fresh.

RMMGS4
Old 11-02-02, 08:56 PM
Synergy

Great info, thanks! I found the clear today and will add this to the project list

See ya
Old 11-03-02, 02:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Synergy
Great info, thanks! I found the clear today and will add this to the project list

See ya
cool! so you found it at the kragen i went? you will love it man, trust me. welcome to the black calipers club
Old 11-06-02, 05:29 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

synergy - I LOVE the black... only one problem... I was planning to do the black on my RX calipers because I hadn't seen any Lex w/ black calipers - so much for that! Oh well, GREAT work - very tasteful mod worthy of a Lexus.
Old 11-06-02, 07:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by CK1_RX3
synergy - I LOVE the black... only one problem... I was planning to do the black on my RX calipers because I hadn't seen any Lex w/ black calipers - so much for that! Oh well, GREAT work - very tasteful mod worthy of a Lexus.
wait couple more days and i PROMISE you will see more pics
Old 11-06-02, 07:51 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess Xmas came early rominl?
Old 11-07-02, 02:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Neo
I guess Xmas came early rominl?
haha, sorta, my xmas is always a floating holiday
Old 11-11-02, 10:50 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Confused...

Synergy,
I got some of that Rust-Oleum high-temp paint in black at Home Depot and I did a test on a piece of metal before applying to my calipers... Thank GOD because that stuff is completely matte black finish - no gloss to it at all... It was the only black high temp paint I saw though - did the stuff you used specifically say it was "gloss" black? You did use the high-temp stuff right?

Last edited by CK1_RX3; 11-11-02 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-11-02, 01:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Confused...

Synergy,
I got some of that Rust-Oleum high-temp paint in black at Home Depot and I did a test on a piece of metal before applying to my calipers... Thank GOD because that stuff is completely matte black finish - no gloss to it at all... It was the only black high temp paint I saw though - did the stuff you used specifically say it was "gloss" black? You did use the high-temp stuff right?
get the engine enamal from kragen. it has non-gloss, semi-gloss, and gloss. i got the gloss and it's REALLY gloss i have to say. and i even put clear coat on top of it so... weahter has been stupid these few days, but when i have time i will take some pics
Old 11-11-02, 02:57 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Confused...

Thanks rominl - I think kragen is an auto parts store, right? I think here in Wisconsin it's called Checker or Pep Boys or something like that - I'll look for the high gloss black engine enamel paint and check it out - probably going to use it to paint my cold air box for my intake too - it should hold up to the heat on that too right?
Thanks again!
Old 11-11-02, 03:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: Confused...

Thanks rominl - I think kragen is an auto parts store, right? I think here in Wisconsin it's called Checker or Pep Boys or something like that - I'll look for the high gloss black engine enamel paint and check it out - probably going to use it to paint my cold air box for my intake too - it should hold up to the heat on that too right?
Thanks again!
oh yeah, it's something like pep boys, etc... the exact brand name is duplicolor, and it's high temp engine enamel. i have it for my rear brake calipers for couple weeks already and they are holding up tight. and i am sure they work coz' during the past 2 weeks i have done some very insane braking (for testing, so you know it's hard).

something to look out for though. make sure you FOLLOW the instructions. paint THIN coats 15 mins apart, and do NOT paint anything after an hr. you will have to let it sit over night before you can drive the car the best, and you need at least 5 (i would say 7) days for everything to cue.

basically, it really stands up the heat after it's dried, but before that it's very sensitive
Old 11-11-02, 03:55 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Thanks rominl... that sounds reasonable about the curing time - it takes regular automotive paint like 90 days to fully cure under the clear coat - they don't even want you to wax it before that time.
I'll at least leave the car sit overnight before driving it after I paint the calipers...

Quick Reply: Black Caliper's Rock!