Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front End/Rear End/AND Brake Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 12:26 AM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front End/Rear End/AND Brake Q's

Hi all,

I have several problems, all of them have been discussed to some degree, but not necessarily with an answer so I'll hope my problems are slightly different and easily fixed.

I'll start with what I think will be the easiest....

1. Brakes: The way I park my car, I start it and reverse to get out and I hear an initial "pop" that I don't believe I hear again when I put it into drive...I saw a post in which it says check moter/trans mounts and I have already had motor mounts done. However, my car does lurch forward more than I think is normal when I put it into park(even on flat surfaces). Not sure if that's related or another issue entirely. I also just had them done and they don't grind, but seem to make more noise than before...is that them just breaking in? How can I check the pads fit correctly and aren't moving?

2. Rear Suspension: My mechanic says "all" my rear end bushings are shot. I believe him because anytime I apply the gas when not already on it the rear end clunks terribly. However, I'm not sure how many bushings are present in the rear and how much it would be to fix this problem?? Could it be only the carrier bushings since it's when I'm accelerating, how would I be able to check the different ones? Either way, I was hoping someone could provide a roundabout quote for the work or if there is a DIY out there that I could look at and most likely decide is too advanced for me lol.

3. Front End: Like a lot of people here I have sunk quite a bit of money replacing front end parts and still have clunks that drive my CRAZY. The mechanic has already replaced upper lower CA's, ball joins and tie rods, struts and more **** than I can even remember. My guess is it's bushing-esque related(I've seen a post about sway link connectors, etc.), but have no idea how to try to troubleshoot the problem myself to narrow down what it could be.....can a mechanic even do that cause it seems the moron I'm using just replaced everything and didn't fix anything. The clunking is generally at lower speeds...there is also a small amount of bottoming out feeling, but that is intermittent(he says struts are fine....). The clunking is either just not heard or possibly not there at higher speeds, but the bottoming out feeling still happens SOMETIMES...other times it feels great. The steering wheel vibrates now at higher speeds which it never did before and I can also feel vibrations in the peddle which is new also....leading me to believe w/e it is is getting worse.

I'm about to go to another mechanic that has been recommended to me and see what he has to say, but was hoping from some insight here first. I realize how hard it is to diagnose something over the internet....perhaps this is also an attempt at venting frustration at the $$$ this sh*@ is costing me!

I need to get a whole tuneup(water pump, timing belt, etc)..How much are those these days? Need to do the rear end as it's getting worse, the front seems to be getting noisier also.

BONUSE QUESTION #4 : Don't ask me why, but for some reason after all this BS with the suspension I'm thinking about how much nicer the car would look lowered with less wheel gap. What's the most economical way to drop the car about 1.5"? I'm not sure I need coilovers, don't really need to adjust....just want a small drop and stockish ride(sportier around turns wouldn't hurt...). I was looking at lowering springs + shocks, but do I need all the camber crap if I'm just on stock wheels...Do I need new struts?? I clearly know nothing about aftermarket stuff...before all the fixing I didn't even know this much which is sad lol. If it's not too much trouble, an entire setup link or part list would be tremendous.

ClubLexus 4 Life!!!! Thanks for taking the time to read this...and even more thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 09-22-11, 12:34 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like you need new bushings for front and rear. Toyota's suspension are soft so bushings tend to absorb and crack overtime. Toyota's suspension really sucks IMO. Answer to number 1 is you need a brake kit. That pop is normal, wont do you much harm.