Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need some help freshening up my suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 07:09 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some help freshening up my suspension!

So heres what I have now and tell me what you guys think:

95 5spd
Drew's Hyperco coilover setup
new Supra LCA
energy suspension front and rear sway poly bushings (prolly going to change out with some new sways soon)
Daizen Steering rack busings
stock end links

So I am looking to make the car just feel more solid and less squeaky overall. I had the car on a lift and had my mechanic go over everything just to check and see if theres something I didn't catch. Apparently he didn't find anything and said everything looked good. I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead and replace the UCA bushings and with the rear UCA and LCA bushings as well. Does this sound overkill? if not, which bushings would you go with. Jegs only have the front set (all I need are the uppers) and I didn't see anything available for the rears. I guess what I am looking for is a good list of things to replace which will help overall ride quality as this is my daily and streets here in LA aren't the best.

Much appreciated!

(BTW, I get a clunking sound which sounds like its coming from the steering rack on very bad surfaces. almost sounds like there is something loose. I tried tightening up the 17M bolts which didn't help)
Old 09-25-11, 11:18 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TORQUE TO SPEC - anything suspension related. Do not use the snug until tight plus a turn method. Anything other than torque to spec will cause issues, knocking/clunking and problems.

The end links for the front could be adjustable Supra end links that will improve handling and keep the sway bar unloaded. [http://www.powergridinc.com/swaybar_price.asp]

UCA is usually the last to go, but I replaced mine anyway, it was $60 total for the UCA set from Rock Auto at the time.

Anything polyurethane will increase NVH levels/db, but most is not severe enough to warrant staying stock rubber. It will also need periodic greasing over time.

Prothanes kit works great and is half the price of dazen's - and you don't have to wait to see if you may or may not get it.

For a complete refresh...

[2] LCA (+ Polyurethane, if wanted)
[2] UCA (+ Polyurethane, if wanted)
[2] Sway Bar End Links (+ Adjustable, if riding lowered)
[2] Sway Bar Mount Bushings
[2] Inner & Outer Tie Rods
[2] Wheel Bearings, Wheel Hubs, and Seals
[1] Steering Rack Bushing Set

Last edited by TechGreek; 09-25-11 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 02:16 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

afaik, no one really sells any front uca only kits for bushings. You could just buy the whole front prothane kit and use the lca ones to throw at people you don't like since you're getting new lca's anyway, or, you could take the extra step and replace the new rubber bushings with new poly bushings. It'd def firm up your ride.
prothane does sell rears, you would need to search 18-304-bl I think. Comes with 4 uca, 4 lca, 2 traction rods, 2 toe rods, and 2 traction rod (the one on the hub).

just dug up some old pics:
front set:

rear:

just know that in the rear set, they sent me 4 of the wrong bushings, so they sent me the correct ones after i took the pic.

Last edited by ArodDaLob; 09-26-11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 05:32 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id say if it isnt broken dont fix it, but thats just my philosophy. i would def check to make sure your subframe hardware is torqued. i checked mine and they were all off there is a thread in here about doing so and it is an easy thing to do
Old 09-26-11, 05:47 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Well I just ordered the front and rear prothane kit. I think im going to just redo the UCA to prothane and leave the lowers to the stock Supra bushings seeing as the supras are a step up from the SC's anyway.

Thanks Arod and Tech for your help.

After all this I am planning on a corner balance. What do you guys think about http://battleversion.com/ and their rear traction links and rear toe links? Overkill?
Old 09-26-11, 05:48 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, and im about to pick up a set of tanabe front and rear sways too to finish things off =D
Old 09-26-11, 09:57 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

if you're gona get new sway bars, you may want to look into beefing up the endlinks, as the toothpick endlinks will bend pretty easily. they'd be helfpul, but not exactly a necessity. at least, until they bend.

and as for battle version, the traction rods aren't needed, I only got them because I wanted my whole rear suspension completely solid. The traction rods were adjusted back to stock length anyway, so they played no role in adjusting alignment.

Since you're just looking for a refreshed dd, the toe rods will be needed only if the stock toe adjustment isn't enough to zero toe back after you adjust camber, which would only be needed if you lower the car enough. That, or the toe rods' ball joints are bad, which isn't too likely. The traction rods don't have ball joints so that shouldn't be a concern.

if you're wondering about bver for corner balancing, i wouldn't hesitate. He took extremely good care of my car when he was shortening my lca's, corner-balancing, and aligning my car, though he doesn't have the fancy computerized hunter-like alignment stuff
Old 09-28-11, 05:23 AM
atlsupdawg
Driver School Candidate

Just FYI, you can purchase the front and rear Supra UCA OEM bushings from Toyota (they'll fit). I believe they're around 20 bucks each & stiffer than the stock SC.
Old 09-30-11, 08:06 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Well I just got the front and rear Prothane set.....Sway bars on on their way and so are the adjustable endlinks....going to have a pretty busy weekend =D
Old 10-05-11, 09:12 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

Any update on the install or the over all fill of the car.
Old 10-07-11, 07:12 PM
BillySupra
Driver School Candidate

+1 for updated report
Old 10-25-11, 01:49 PM
boostd4
Driver

My front UCA's were making tons of squeaky noises from the bushings. I just put complete new UCA's on that I got from ebay... hell you get a free ball joint that way They were maybe $75/ea.
Old 10-30-11, 11:51 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

What brand adjustable end links did you go with?
Old 12-10-11, 12:42 PM
slydjunkie
Driver

are you going to tackle the subframe bushings as well or no?