Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 09:57 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike,

Is there a chance that you are using tight tolerance spherical bearings which may not be compatible with perhaps looser tolerances that Lexus expected in their OEM spherical bushings? I'm thinking that if Lexus bores had a relatively wide tolerance range, you may be over-constrained in trying to use a tight tolerance spherical bearing without it being either too tight or too loose in some vehicles. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-13, 10:38 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

the spherical bearings are precision but we can make adjustments so that regardless of tolerance we do not compress the bearing too much. Its the stackup between our cup and the bearing. We just need to add a relief, more machining time.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-16-13, 10:56 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Understood. I was just wondering if the Lexus OEM bores had loose tolerances - we see how some folks (like me) had no trouble pressing the factory bushings in and out, while others needed an act of congress to get them in and out. As I recall, spherical bearing OD's need a fairly precise bore to be pressed into, so that may be the source of the problem here.
Old 03-16-13, 01:13 PM
FIGS
The Maker

it is the difference between using a grease packed bearing vs a spherical bearing with a teflon liner which is less tolerant of compression forces. More of a tolerance stackup issue with two machined parts vs a single as well.
I will get the design modified and send out replacements for anyone having the issue.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 03-16-13, 03:54 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by FIGS
a spherical bearing with a teflon liner which is less tolerant of compression forces. More of a tolerance stackup issue with two machined parts vs a single as well..
That was my point, and may explain why you are having to rework these for some folks.
Old 03-18-13, 08:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

I am looking into some tolerance issues between our cup and the OD of the bearing. Seems like some have been going in tight as we assemble them and other slide right in. The ones that slide right in are work fine, but the others are too tight to start and then get tighter once pressed in. I have a way to eliminate this we just need to rework the cups. I will keep you all posted.
Mike

it is the difference between using a grease packed bearing vs a spherical bearing with a teflon liner which is less tolerant of compression forces. More of a tolerance stackup issue with two machined parts vs a single as well.
I will get the design modified and send out replacements for anyone having the issue.
possible to get replacements Mike before i install so that way when im on the rack if i run into this, i can switch the cups with no down time and if i dont need them, send them back?
Old 03-18-13, 06:53 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by sakataj
possible to get replacements Mike before i install so that way when im on the rack if i run into this, i can switch the cups with no down time and if i dont need them, send them back?
yes absolutely Brian. Will shoot you a PM.
So I ran through 10 cups today on the lathe and it looks like the ID tolerance was greater than OD and I had 4 that removed about 0.005 off the ID and 5-6 that ranged in just scrapping the zinc coating to not touching at all. We will go through our remaining stock and clean up things on the bearing interface so that it is easy to press in and the bearing will move freely. I verified the fitment in our test knuckle again and movement was as it should be. The initial tested cups must have just been in the low range of tolerance so we will keep things closer on final inspection. The larger variable is the zinc plating which looks like it was built up on the inner diameter in addition to machining tolerances. I would rather be on the small side and back fill with 620 retaining compound then on the tight side and cause squeaking. In any case I think this will be a good solution to verify everyone that we ship from here on out.

Mike
Old 03-25-13, 11:15 PM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a question about this part [FIGS]. I just ordered these and the part I needed was this.

IS3002GGS-KNUCK-FIGSSPH

This is a photo of another members part they received from this thread.

I believe it is the same part. The one I have looks significantly different and I wanted to know if it is an improvement over the original part before I start taking stuff apart again. This is the one I received.

Name:  8081BBBE-618C-4E6B-B97B-088B7063C50C-8060-000007BA2CC19A00_zps39c47ef2.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  D3170AFA-205F-42BB-A07C-7405BDA3ABD6-8060-000007BA30A90662_zps866f528d.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  67.6 KB

Old and New side by side. This is what your Axle Carrier Bushing will look like after extreme wear and your wheel will go negative on the camber and if you go over a bump hard enough you will destroy your wheel bearing. Also being replaced so this is an important part lol

Name:  B4944A69-0AB5-4AC5-BD81-939908539DF3-8060-000007BA33E73BF6_zps5762fc3d.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  56.3 KB

So is my part the same as others that have received or Mike do I have the wrong part?
Old 03-26-13, 08:51 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by DLA-USA
I had a question about this part [FIGS]. I just ordered these and the part I needed was this.

IS3002GGS-KNUCK-FIGSSPH

This is a photo of another members part they received from this thread.

I believe it is the same part. The one I have looks significantly different and I wanted to know if it is an improvement over the original part before I start taking stuff apart again. This is the one I received.

Old and New side by side. This is what your Axle Carrier Bushing will look like after extreme wear and your wheel will go negative on the camber and if you go over a bump hard enough you will destroy your wheel bearing. Also being replaced so this is an important part lol

So is my part the same as others that have received or Mike do I have the wrong part?
There should have been some stainless spacers included, please check the package. If not let me know and we will send them out.

BTW the modifications the bearing sleaves have proven to work well and three customers now have confirmed that they function properly. We will continue this check moving forward. Aurora is backordered on the bearings at this point so we will be working to come up with alternate sources and some other options.
Mike
Mike
Old 03-26-13, 11:26 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't know this had an effect on the wheel bearings.
Old 03-26-13, 02:23 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

First, very interesting thread and it's great that we have a place like this to compare symptoms and identify solutions (although I have to say, when I was in the Mustang/BMW world, we spent most of our time getting our cars to accelerate faster, handle better, and stop in less distance. Here in the Lexus world, it seems like all we do is diagnose suspension clunks, lol )

This thread caught my eye because I have been trying to diagnose a rear noise in my 2001 GS430 w/ Megan LP coilovers. When I go over small bumps or "low amplitude" imperfections in the road at low speed, I hear this popcorn popping/ratting sound coming mostly from my passenger side rear. I thought it was coilover related (and it may be still) but watching the OPs video, it's worth a look at those carrier/knuckle bushings as well as the track-link bushings while I am in there.

I have couple questions/comments:

1.) I notice that Carson carries the polyurethane track-link bushings (ADUS-690). Does anyone sell a stock replacement of this bushing? I like to limit how much poly I use on a daily driver.
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=3322

2.) In order to diagnose the carrier/knuckle bearings as the culprit of my problem (as was for the OP), I guess I can jack up the car, grab the rear wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock, and give it a good shake while someone else is looking for play in that bearing.

3.) I'm interested to know how many miles you guys have on these (what are apparently China-made) carrier/knuckle bushings from New Zealand and Ireland that are being sold on ebay?

Originally Posted by fastryan
It literally feels and sounds like some body hitting the back seat with a baseball bat., if i go w.o.t. from a dead stop. no exaggeration, it sounds like i could break something if i tried. Almost sounds like a trans. mount??? it seems that every part made from rubber on this car, is disintegrating...EVERYTHING.
Originally Posted by fastryan
it feels like a baseball bat to my back seat, when leaving a stop light..any other ideas?
That *might* be related to the differential bushings but what you are describing is classic split motor/tranny mount symptoms. When my driver side motor mount was split, if I went WOT from a stop-light, I'd get a violent jerk/thud coming from the differential as the whipping motor transferred energy to the back of the drive-line. It was so counter-intuitive because I was convinced that the problem was from the rear of the car. Replacement motor mounts solved the problem.

Originally Posted by handogg
I was getting clunking at low speeds..
handogg, so did the replacement carrier/knuckle bearings solve your problem? Low speed pop/clunking is exactly what I am experiencing.

This thread is giving me some hope.

Thanks,

Luke

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-26-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 02:41 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luke,

Here's the link where I got my track link bushings. These were visually identical to the stock bushings, and work perfectly. Shipping seemed fast for something coming from overseas.
Old 03-26-13, 02:58 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
Luke,

Here's the link where I got my track link bushings. These were visually identical to the stock bushings, and work perfectly. Shipping seemed fast for something coming from overseas.
Excellent, thank you sir. Am I correct to assume that these bushings must be pressed in the same manner as the carrier/knuckle bushings?

And does this rhd vendor also carry the carrier/knuckle bushings or would I have to go through New Zealand or Ireland on ebay for those?
Old 03-26-13, 03:05 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Excellent, thank you sir. Am I correct to assume that these bushings must be pressed in the same manner as the carrier/knuckle bushings?

And does this rhd vendor also carry the carrier/knuckle bushings or would I have to go through New Zealand or Ireland on ebay for those?
Yes, pressed in the same way, allthough the brake rotor shield can get in the way. I THINK they carry the axle carrier bushing, but it's not a stock piece. They're calling it a rear axle pillow joint/bushing. Pics look identical to what FIGS sells. Price seems higher too.

To get the stock style axle bushings, the only place I know to get them is from that shop in NZ.
Old 03-26-13, 03:10 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex

I don't think the ireland guy sells them on ebay anymore. You might have to try nz or rhd. I bought my first set from the ireland guy. I messed up one while installing. Found another set in the 2gs classified. Used one and sold the other in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: DIY - Rear Axle Carrier (Knuckle) Bushing Replacement