Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering B/C Of 19s BUT DON'T Want All The "Bounce" & "Harsh"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 02:16 PM
KJS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering B/C Of 19s BUT DON'T Want All The "Bounce" & "Harsh"

ordering some 19s real soon and from the pics I've come across so far its going to be a 4X4 with the stock suspension. I have coilovers on my GTi and then race springs and struts on the 328Ci. So Im familiar with how much the ride quality can change from different set-ups.

For the IS I am only looking to get rid of the gap and keep the ride quality as close to stock as I possibly can! This car will never see a track or be street raced, I could care less about roll, dampening, cornering, weighting, camber kits, etc etc etc. I have the others for that, the IS is simply the driving car. I just want to get rid of most, if not all of the gap while keeping the ride quality as close to stock as I possibly can!

What is my best option for this? Some suggestions with details (brand, series, etc.) would be appreciated! Thanks alot
Old 10-02-02, 04:33 PM
PAPASMURF
Lexus Test Driver

Why not try the Sportivo Suspension kit? I have it on mine and still have the factory ride feel. When I get my 19's it will be a good drop with no gap.

Last edited by PAPASMURF; 10-02-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-02-02, 04:58 PM
KJS
Rookie

Originally posted by PAPASMURF
Why not try the Sportivo Suspension kit? I have it on mine and still have the factory ride feel. When I get my 19's it will be a good drop with no gap.

you have any pics you can post or email me? Im assuming your running the stock 17s with it right now?

Any other suggestions that are not a much as this? Is it not a good idea to just do a spring set on the IS? Im not to familiar with the OEM set-up, are the struts able to handle just springs?

Since Im just looking to get rid of the gap and not worried about sway bars etc. Handling is not an issue, comfort and gap is key on this one!

Thanks again
Old 10-02-02, 07:45 PM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey KJS,

I can echo what PAPA said, the TRD Sportivo is a great street set-up, might as well do it right, kit contains:

TRD shocks(4)
TRD lowering springs(4) 1.2 drop
TRD street sways,front and rear.

This adds up to a nice handling, driving IS.

L-Tuned does offer just the lowering springs that you can use with your stock shocks, I personally do not like the idea of loowering a car and leaving the stock valved shocks on.

Or you can go for some Tein coil-overs, there's a few different levels...CS (comfort series) Flex series............

I didn't notice where your from, but if your anywhere around Los Angeles I can set you up with install as well, right PAPA
Old 10-02-02, 07:55 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree...you at least want to have springs AND performance shocks to match..stock shocks are not designed for the progressive spring rate from lowering springs..

on a side note: supratrd/steve, just curious, is there any specific reason that the aristo trd suspenion sportivo set is not "officially" offered? or, at least i rarely seen them...what kind of prices are we looking at for the GS pkg?( and is the white sways stiffer or softer than the blue trd sways?

thanks

Old 10-02-02, 08:09 PM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Will,

What's up, long time..............by the way, if you didn't get your wheels yet see this man, GS4Will is one of the best!!

The Aristo TRD Sportivo kit is available-$1209.00, with the L-Tuned shocks and springs out and the wait time it was easier offering components, The white TRD Sportivo street sways are not as stiff as the blue race sways...... 31.8 front, 16.0 rear..............Will, you want
Old 10-02-02, 08:10 PM
KJS
Rookie

Originally posted by SUPRATRD
Hey KJS,

I can echo what PAPA said, the TRD Sportivo is a great street set-up, might as well do it right, kit contains:

TRD shocks(4)
TRD lowering springs(4) 1.2 drop
TRD street sways,front and rear.

This adds up to a nice handling, driving IS.

L-Tuned does offer just the lowering springs that you can use with your stock shocks, I personally do not like the idea of loowering a car and leaving the stock valved shocks on.

Or you can go for some Tein coil-overs, there's a few different levels...CS (comfort series) Flex series............

I didn't notice where your from, but if your anywhere around Los Angeles I can set you up with install as well, right PAPA
great thanks! canyou PM me your best prices on the TRD set up and the comfort series coilovers? Im ready to buy if the price is :eek:

Thanks!
Old 10-02-02, 08:14 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nonono....steve is the man on all your toyota/lexus/trd/toms..hope i did no miss anything...the stuff you carry seemed to grow every week/month..hehehe
Old 10-03-02, 01:53 PM
KJS
Rookie

quick one...you guys that are making these suggestions, can you please post some side shots of your IS so I can see how much these will lower! would hate to spend $1k+ on parts and then a couple hundred on labor to only be disappointed when I picked it up b/c the drop was nothing noticeable and still have a decent gap! I would like the wheels to just be above the wells when all is done, like 1/2 inch to 3/4 I guess.
Old 10-04-02, 05:33 PM
ToyoBeastly
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

from experiance with lowered cars, only having springs goes for a pretty crappy ride........to do it right, get the aftermarket goodies for it too......just my $.02
Old 10-07-02, 12:00 PM
atldave
Driver School Candidate

I think you'll want something lower than the TRD springs for no gap.

Tein springs with Bilstein shocks will close the gap nicely and give you an almost stock ride.

I have 19's now with stock 4x4 springs but tomorrow night I'm installing Tein's. I post a pic then.

Last edited by atldave; 10-07-02 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 12:05 PM
PAPASMURF
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SUPRATRD
Hey KJS,

SupraTRD... No doubt partner! .

KJS...I will try to take some shots soon and post them for ya! Yes I dropped it on the stock 17's, And even on them it looks real tight. The car flows better when you look at it and I have gotten nothing but compliments from people when they see it.
Old 10-07-02, 01:31 PM
KJS
Rookie

Originally posted by atldave
I think you'll want something lower than the TRD springs for no gap.

Tein springs with Bilstein shocks will close the gap nicely and give you an almost stock ride.

I have 19's now with stock 4x4 springs but tomorrow night I'm installing Tein's. I post a pic then.

great, please post them! getting rid of most of the gap is key for me! if the TRD set-up is still going leave an ich or more gap I need to look at something else.

TEIN CS coils maybe?
Old 10-07-02, 02:44 PM
atldave
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by KJS

great, please post them! getting rid of most of the gap is key for me! if the TRD set-up is still going leave an ich or more gap I need to look at something else.

TEIN CS coils maybe?
Sure, the CS coils are great. If you have the money, get those so you can dial in the perfect height. They just cost about twice what you would pay for Tein HT springs and a set of Bilstein's.

I'm just trying to save a few bucks.
Old 10-07-02, 02:59 PM
KJS
Rookie

I hear yah! I don't know what to do at this point! to many options with not enough people having them. Or at least not enough people here willing to post about them. this is pretty much the height / gap Im after..

If I could get my IS to sit even like that (or even juuuuuuust a bit higher) while still having a stock quality ride / comfort I would be one