Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big Problem Need Some Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 04:29 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Big Problem Need Some Help Please!

I have a question for the masses that have lowered there car. Has anyone ever experienced any steering trouble after doing so? After I lowered my car I've been experiencing a sometimes hard to turn right when i'm at a stand still never when i'm in motion. Left works great, but when turning it to the right it feels like your parked to close to the curb and your wheel has no room to move but of course i'm nowhere near a curb any ideas?
Old 10-12-11, 04:44 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the suspension to check for binding or anything out of the norm.
Old 10-12-11, 05:16 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

check your tierods inner and outter.
Old 10-12-11, 06:11 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SChema
You need to have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the suspension to check for binding or anything out of the norm.
OK will do thanks.

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
check your tierods inner and outter.
They appear to have no play .but i'll try another method of checking them. Thanks to you also sir
Just to add, I also did my rack bushings at the same time i lowered my car if this info has any relevance.
Old 10-13-11, 07:49 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Everything checks out, so I'm wondering if the angle in which the tie rods were at stock height, as opposed to where they are now has anything to do with the binding feed back I get when turning to the left? Its just really weird because it was fine until almost a week after I slammed (lowered) the car. And why only turning to the right? Tie rods have a pretty wide range of motion, so I'm stumped you guys I hope its not the rack itself. I'm thinking if it was the rack it would do it steering both ways right?
Old 10-13-11, 10:06 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're having issues because 99% of people that do alignments don't reset the inner tie rods to be symmetrical length wise.
Old 10-13-11, 10:11 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TechGreek
You're having issues because 99% of people that do alignments don't reset the inner tie rods to be symmetrical length wise.
Just going to copy and paste TechGreeks post 3 times lol
Old 10-13-11, 12:59 PM
1jzchris
Pole Position

its also possible that your rack is going bad.
Old 10-13-11, 05:59 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Finally an ah-ha moment thats makes perfect sense! My only question is why didnt it do it right away? Why the delay? Thanks for the info and i'l have that looked into.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Just going to copy and paste TechGreeks post 3 times lol
Hey man thanks!
Hey man thanks!
Hey man thanks!.....Ha ha ha

Originally Posted by 1jzchris
its also possible that your rack is going bad.
You could definitely be on to something, as long as the other things turn out to be a no go, but thanks for chiming in on the matter.
Old 10-13-11, 06:16 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Go back up there and scream you can't be a DK if you can't drift right because they aren't symmetrical and your steering lock is off!!!!!
Old 10-13-11, 09:41 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

You guys are hilarious!
Old 10-14-11, 03:42 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is another very serious possibility. You need to check both lower ball joints. Now that your lower, the ball joints are @ different angle & if the boots have been busted for a while then they might be trying to pop the ball joint out of the socket. This happened to me. I heard the driver side squeeling. So I lubed it with some motorcycle chain lube & the sound went away. Knowing that I needed to change out the control arm cause you cant get just the ball joint. I kinda forgot about it, cause the noise went away. Well a few days before the major disaster my steering would get real tight turning to the right. About 1/4 the way before full lock to the right. I thought the rack was going out. 2 days later, lucky i had just pulled out of my driveway & was going slow, the lower ball joint came out & the car fell on the tire. If I had been going MACH5 like I usually drive, it would have been a major accident. So please check the lower ball joints in the front.
Old 10-14-11, 06:10 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
Here is another very serious possibility. You need to check both lower ball joints. Now that your lower, the ball joints are @ different angle & if the boots have been busted for a while then they might be trying to pop the ball joint out of the socket. This happened to me. I heard the driver side squeeling. So I lubed it with some motorcycle chain lube & the sound went away. Knowing that I needed to change out the control arm cause you cant get just the ball joint. I kinda forgot about it, cause the noise went away. Well a few days before the major disaster my steering would get real tight turning to the right. About 1/4 the way before full lock to the right. I thought the rack was going out. 2 days later, lucky i had just pulled out of my driveway & was going slow, the lower ball joint came out & the car fell on the tire. If I had been going MACH5 like I usually drive, it would have been a major accident. So please check the lower ball joints in the front.
Holy crap! you pretty much have scared the mess out of me I sure hope that's not the case, but it sure sounds just like my problem and I've been driving pretty fast lately like 80 even 90 at times. i'll try to load and unload the joint and see what happens. Thank you soo much Scooter man i'll call you tomorrow!

Last edited by socal72; 10-14-11 at 06:21 PM.