Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which coilovers are good for improving handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11, 10:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I would swap back to OEM sway bars before going down to 10/8 kg/mm.
Old 11-12-11, 09:59 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I would swap back to OEM sway bars before going down to 10/8 kg/mm.
Why would that be the best step? I don't have a problem with corners, mainly don't like highway cruising more than anything else. From what I understand, all sway bars do is evenly compress sides of the car during cornering, which I like.
Old 11-13-11, 08:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Not necessarily saying it's the best setup. It's just a lot cheaper/easier to remove the sways than to change out the springs and have to do an alignment again. If you find that the ride is still too stiff for you, then swap the springs.

In theory, sway bars only come into effect when cornering, but that's more of a reality on a smooth track than on the highway. On the highway, you have uneven roads and as soon as one side is compressed more than the other, the sway bars will contribute to ride quality.

Sway bars add to the total stiffness of the suspension. Do note that if you go with 10/8 kg/mm springs, you will gain slightly more body roll because your total effective spring rate is reduced, even with the sway bars.
Old 11-13-11, 12:07 PM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Not necessarily saying it's the best setup. It's just a lot cheaper/easier to remove the sways than to change out the springs and have to do an alignment again. If you find that the ride is still too stiff for you, then swap the springs.

In theory, sway bars only come into effect when cornering, but that's more of a reality on a smooth track than on the highway. On the highway, you have uneven roads and as soon as one side is compressed more than the other, the sway bars will contribute to ride quality.

Sway bars add to the total stiffness of the suspension. Do note that if you go with 10/8 kg/mm springs, you will gain slightly more body roll because your total effective spring rate is reduced, even with the sway bars.
Thank you for answering my question before i even posted.

How solid/stiff would you think my car would be if I bought Cusco sways? Im currently running function and form coilovers, 14kg front and 12kg, and the sways are 30mm front and 19mm rear.
Old 11-13-11, 12:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

What do you mean by stuff/solid? I don't think anyone can answer that with ease.

It's a shame companies are selling the sway bars by the diameter because it's a very meaningless spec. Is the material normalized steel? Chromoly perhaps? What's the wall thickness? Either way, the figure you want to look at is the spring rate but very few companies provide this for sway bars.

What is your goal with the sway bars? Keep in mind that you generally need stickier tires if you plan on upping the spring rate. Too many people are throwing on sway bars because 'it feels good' but neglect to understand the limits of their cars. Trust me... my other car use to have all these suspension parts on it. It felt good going around the corner because it didn't lean as much, but boy was it a handful at the limit. It's softer now, but it's also quicker than ever before. Sure it it has some body roll, but I'm willing to sacrifice some if it meant my car wasn't going to end up in the ditch.

Sway bars have their places. They're great for adding roll stiffness without affecting the rate of front/rear weight transfer during acceleration and braking on the straights. Everything you do to your car will sacrifice something so pick your poison .
Old 11-14-11, 08:27 AM
gdinero
Rookie

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I agree that a sway bar swap would be much cheaper and easier... maybe i'll try that after all. Thanks.
Old 05-22-12, 01:23 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Just a "6 months later" update... two new comments. First, I replaced my old Sumitomo HTR Z III with Michelin Super Sports, and I feel like I have a whole new car. The Michelin's are almost 2x as expensive, but the improvement is extraordinary. The whole car is a rockstar now. (note no clue about rain improvement yet) Unless I have extreme financial hardship, I won't be going back.

Second, I recently had a base V6 camaro as a rental for a week. After getting my car back, I really appreciated how fun it is. It's like a small little go-cart in comparison. I think sometimes we don't know how we good have things... :-) I still have the BCR coilovers on the car and the upgraded sway bars.

The BCRs are starting to squeak a bit tho. the end. -G