Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Strut Tower bar for SC's I made another one...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 05:18 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear Strut Tower bar for SC's I made another one...

Updated photos on page 3

Its been awhile since I made my last one. This time I improved my design, by using my CAD program at home. Ive been taking classes to get into the engineering field, & try to start a new career. I had a litte issue with my last design. The bar was hitting the vent line on top the tank. Well I took care of that & was able to make my base's nicer & make my angle's & measurements all uniform. I want to add one more thing to it, by adding alittle more support to the bends. Making a plate to weld to the underside of the bends will sure up the strength to the bar.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 11-03-11 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-16-11, 05:26 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be nice to be a fabricator. Makes you wonder why no one makes them.
Old 10-16-11, 08:30 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of the challenge of getting a bar in there below the stock subwoofer.

Bar looks good, should PC it and throw a sticker/vinyl on there and sell them via vendor status on CL.
Old 10-16-11, 09:52 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Question, are the angles of the bar welded or bended? No offense, but this really looks waaaay better than the last one, I mean it looks like it can absorb more tension.
Old 10-16-11, 09:55 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Question, are the angles of the bar welded or bended? No offense, but this really looks waaaay better than the last one, I mean it looks like it can absorb more tension.
I heated it up & bent it on my jig. Thanks for the props.
Old 10-16-11, 10:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

way to go on the cad program. which program are you using? nicely donethumbup:
Old 10-16-11, 10:48 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jadu
way to go on the cad program. which program are you using? nicely donethumbup:
I have Auto CAD 2011 student version @ home for 3yrs. Im taking Solid Works right now. This week is my last week of the basic course. Ill have to wait till spring to take the advanced course. After that Im gonna take a CNC class too.
Old 10-17-11, 02:00 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechGreek
Because of the challenge of getting a bar in there below the stock subwoofer.

Bar looks good, should PC it and throw a sticker/vinyl on there and sell them via vendor status on CL.
Cost too much to be a vendor on here, when you only have 1 product to offer, with little demand.
Old 10-17-11, 02:29 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just post it on eBay then a link on your sig!

I've taken Autocadd when I was in highschool until college. Very easy and amazing to use!

Let me just add, I think the towers from the base are a bit thin from the looks of the pics? Correct me if I'm wrong. And also, might need to get that aluminum powder coated just to make sure it doesn't create static from it pushing and pulling from the tension and also from the magnet of the subwoofer, just to make sure, we wouldn't want that to happen beside that gas tank... tsk,, tsk, tsk... But other than that it really looks like it can make a difference..

Last edited by OG Dada; 10-17-11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 03:11 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Just post it on eBay then a link on your sig!

I've taken Autocadd when I was in highschool until college. Very easy and amazing to use!

Let me just add, I think the towers from the base are a bit thin from the looks of the pics? Correct me if I'm wrong. And also, might need to get that aluminum powder coated just to make sure it doesn't create static from it pushing and pulling from the tension and also from the magnet of the subwoofer, just to make sure, we wouldn't want that to happen beside that gas tank... tsk,, tsk, tsk... But other than that it really looks like it can make a difference..
Its 3/16" T6, which is thicker than any other base's out there. Um not sure what static you are thinking is going to be created from a fixed object. This isnt a tug of war rope lol. There's also no spark in aluminum.
Old 10-17-11, 05:14 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Will it clear a sub?
Old 10-17-11, 06:06 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Will it clear a sub?
The one that I have clears my sub. This one is a little bit taller than mine, to make sure I had clearance on the vent line. It sits back so like right @ the edge of the sub hole. I guess it really depends on how far the sub housing sit below the hole. I have a Eclipse sub in my car which is quite a bit bigger than the stock , but has no problem.
Old 10-18-11, 10:39 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

It's cool and all but that bar serves no purpose in our cars.

If you think of an S13 hatch, or an FC RX7 how there's a big empty gap between rear strut towers, I think those cars would benefit from a rear strut bar a lot more than our cars.... because the main purpose of a strut bar is to stiffen up the chassis, but with our gas tank being right there directly connected to a firewall that's directly connected to our rear strut towers... that section of our cars is already stiff enough from the factory. therefor a rear strut is just extra weight. there's absolutely no way that your strut towers are going to flex enough for that bar to do any good. Also if you look in the trunk, about 3 1/2 - 4 inches down on the sides of our rear strut tower... there's a HUGE amount of reinforcement there. That whole section is already built really stiff.
Old 10-18-11, 01:23 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

good work keep it up

i think ive seen your post on "another" forum

our chassis is pretty stiff but always could have a little help
Old 10-18-11, 03:45 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DRFT103
It's cool and all but that bar serves no purpose in our cars.

If you think of an S13 hatch, or an FC RX7 how there's a big empty gap between rear strut towers, I think those cars would benefit from a rear strut bar a lot more than our cars.... because the main purpose of a strut bar is to stiffen up the chassis, but with our gas tank being right there directly connected to a firewall that's directly connected to our rear strut towers... that section of our cars is already stiff enough from the factory. therefor a rear strut is just extra weight. there's absolutely no way that your strut towers are going to flex enough for that bar to do any good. Also if you look in the trunk, about 3 1/2 - 4 inches down on the sides of our rear strut tower... there's a HUGE amount of reinforcement there. That whole section is already built really stiff.
I understand what you are saying, & I appreciate the comments. Im not saying that my RSB has as much effectiveness on our chassis as it would on a S13 or RX7, but it does have an effect. I know cause Ive had one in my car for a couple of yrs now. There are a few other member's on this forum that have one too. They all have noticed a difference in the chassie. Its kinda like " I dont like that food! Have you ever tried it? No..."

Quick Reply: Rear Strut Tower bar for SC's I made another one...