Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 05:03 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
i get that broken car sound when i go on rough roads

clnking nclanking
I think we are on the same page here. Others describing a clunk I think just need the brake hardware kit but the metallic clanking Im pretty sure is the floating piece of the caliper slapping around on the rotor.
Old 10-26-11, 05:52 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by breadbeat
I have this same problem and have spent many hours trying to diagnose it. I can tell you that it is 100% your brake calipers. Ill tell you why. The GS comes with 2 piece calipers. One piece connects to the knuckle via two large bolts ,and the second piece connects to the first piece via two pins that slide into the first piece. Over time the holes that the pins slide into become worn and allow excessive play between the two pieces of the caliper. So when you hit washboard pavement the second "floating"piece that contains the pads slaps back and forth against the rotor making the metallic clanking noise. And when you drag the brakes lightly you create pressure that forces the two pieces together therefore eliminating the sound. I have replaced pads and rotors as well as the brake hardware kit including shims and new pins and still have the same noise. Replace your calipers or upgrade to LS400 ONE piece brakes and your good.
Actually, the ls400 caliper is a two piece. Its held together with the same style bolts as the GS/IS etc. I get what you are saying though, its possible that could be the issue.

Op, i have the same noise on my gs. Its the pad hitting the retaining pins. Since im upgrading to the ls400 bbk i haven't taken the time to do anything about it. But try this trick and see if it works(it worked for me on my 2000 silverado). Get you some blue R.T.V silicone from an auto store, take the pads off the caliper, apply the silicone to the caliper piston, then to the back of pad itself(not the side that makes contact with the rotor). Put some on both pads then put it all back together and let it dry for like 2 hours. What will happen when the silicone dries, is it will make the pad stick to the caliper when you are not applying force. It also acts as a cushion between the pad and caliper. Like i said, i haven't done this on my gs but it worked for my truck. It held up for a good 4-5months before the noise came back. Once the pad gets thinner, then there is more space between the rotor and pad surface so eventually the silicone will let go.
Old 10-26-11, 07:12 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

You could try some brake quiet on the back of the pads or watch the video, down by the Carlson brake parts logo, from 2 guys garage as they suggest replacing the slides and attaching a part on the upper bolt to silence the noise.

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/
Old 10-26-11, 09:08 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

I just remembered something after I read the post above. If the caliper guide pins don't have enough grease, the clanking will accur. I had a civic that had the 4 wheel disk brakes and the rear caliper guide pins were dry. Once I filled them with new grease it stopped. I have had this issue with 3 different cars now, I'm pretty familiar with this issue and it usually takes some trial and error. Pm me if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-27-11, 07:36 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone all good suggestions.

So to update everyone. The tightening up of everything did not do ****. The bracket bolts were so tights, that I had to use my breaker bar to even budge them, just to see if there was any more room to go. Checked with my torque wrench, and they were beyond the mas 180ft-lbs of the wrench.

I am now going to move on to the next suggestion. I think I will try to take off the caliper again. I took it off yesterday, to check if I have those shims there. I do. I must have put them in a while ago. But I didn't do anything in the caliper because I wanted to do one suggestion at a time.

I am going to now take out those slide pins, clean them up, and re-grease them.

If that doesn't work. I am going to try the RTV trick. I still really feel that this seems to happen because of the pads themselves. But I hope I can get to the bottom of this systematically.

Oh and yes, when my pads heat up, they don't rattle. Its like the heat expands them and makes them fit tighter.
Old 10-27-11, 07:51 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, check the slide pins. One of them has a little bushing. If the bushing is worn or torn it can start making noise. Definitely something you should check.
Old 10-27-11, 10:19 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Thanks everyone all good suggestions.

So to update everyone. The tightening up of everything did not do ****. The bracket bolts were so tights, that I had to use my breaker bar to even budge them, just to see if there was any more room to go. Checked with my torque wrench, and they were beyond the mas 180ft-lbs of the wrench.

I am now going to move on to the next suggestion. I think I will try to take off the caliper again. I took it off yesterday, to check if I have those shims there. I do. I must have put them in a while ago. But I didn't do anything in the caliper because I wanted to do one suggestion at a time.

I am going to now take out those slide pins, clean them up, and re-grease them.

If that doesn't work. I am going to try the RTV trick. I still really feel that this seems to happen because of the pads themselves. But I hope I can get to the bottom of this systematically.

Oh and yes, when my pads heat up, they don't rattle. Its like the heat expands them and makes them fit tighter.
I hope you're not going to throw new calipers in there because that did absolutely nothing for me. I still have the clunks too but I needed new calipers.
Old 10-27-11, 10:27 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

No way. I am pretty sure if it comes down to that, I will just rebuild them. I don't think it will come down to that though. The RTV trick seems like it would work.
Old 10-27-11, 11:54 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Take a look at those slide pins though, I remember when my civic was doing that. It got so bad that when I filled the caliper bracket with grease it would still "clink". What happened was the holes had gotten larger from so much "clinking". So I had to buy new rear caliper brackets.

What you want to do is buy some packets of caliper grease, then of coarse pull the brakes off again. Pull the slide pins(2 per caliper) clean out the old grease with a can of brake cleaner, then repack the holes with grease. When repacking leave the rubber boot on the caliper and fill it with the grease. When you put the pins back on you may notice the pin won't go back in easily. You just have to muscle them back in to get all the air out of them. Once the pins go in all the way pull them back out and now put the caliper back on the bracket and then proceed to bolting the brakes back on the knucle. Test drive it, if it still clinks then try the rtv trick. Have you replaced the brake pad hardware?
Old 10-27-11, 02:04 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I think we are on the same page here. Others describing a clunk I think just need the brake hardware kit but the metallic clanking Im pretty sure is the floating piece of the caliper slapping around on the rotor.

i have TT brakes n when i had my silver car with the same setup i still got the same sound.. even without the dust shield. Now the brakes are on my red car and with the dust shield n the sound is still there :/..

what floating piece are you talkin about?
Old 10-27-11, 05:34 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vwynn
i have TT brakes n when i had my silver car with the same setup i still got the same sound.. even without the dust shield. Now the brakes are on my red car and with the dust shield n the sound is still there :/..

what floating piece are you talkin about?
I dont know if floating is the correct term but Im talking about the piece fo the caliper on the top that contains the pads. For example if you were doing a pad change you could remove one of the pins and flip up the top part of the caliper and install the new pads and then flip it back down and re-install the pin without removing the rotor or the other part of the caliper.

I can replicate this sound by striking the tire with my fist or a hammer. So if I hold the caliper tightly with one hand and hit it the sound stops. So logicly I think it is the caliper. But if you say you have the TT brakes and still have the noise then I dont know what to think.......
Old 10-27-11, 06:24 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Ok so there is this section of road near my house that has those rumble strips in the center of the lane. The noise is extremely loud when I drive over them. Is this what we are all talking about???
Old 10-27-11, 06:41 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so there is this section of road near my house that has those rumble strips in the center of the lane. The noise is extremely loud when I drive over them. Is this what we are all talking about???
Dude. you are the man. Yes that is the noise. Does it go away for you as well with slight brake pressure?
Old 10-27-11, 07:22 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

whow, thats not the noise i hear. Mine only clinks when i hit a bump. Like a crack in the street, or even the reflective dividers you see on the lanes. It only clinks once for every bump. His sounds like its continuous. Unless he was driving over a tone of cracks in the road.......we need to get to the bottom of this. Im glad we are all trying to help each other out. Just for fun, i may mess with my calipers even though im going to replace them with ls400 calipers just to see if i can figure something out.
Old 10-27-11, 08:05 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Dude. you are the man. Yes that is the noise. Does it go away for you as well with slight brake pressure?
Yes, if I drag the brakes it goes away. you can hear me apply the brakes for a second before the video ends.

Originally Posted by aristo123
whow, thats not the noise i hear. Mine only clinks when i hit a bump. Like a crack in the street, or even the reflective dividers you see on the lanes. It only clinks once for every bump. His sounds like its continuous. Unless he was driving over a tone of cracks in the road.......we need to get to the bottom of this. Im glad we are all trying to help each other out. Just for fun, i may mess with my calipers even though im going to replace them with ls400 calipers just to see if i can figure something out.
What I was doing was driving over the rumble strips cut into the center of the road. You may not have them where you live but they are essentially grooves that have been ground into the surface of the road where you see the double yellow paint line. If you look at the yellow line in the vid you can see the grooves. So yes I was driving over continuous small bumps.

Last edited by breadbeat; 10-27-11 at 08:09 PM. Reason: !@#$%^&*()

Quick Reply: So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?