Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 09:04 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbeat
Yes, if I drag the brakes it goes away. you can hear me apply the brakes for a second before the video ends.

What I was doing was driving over the rumble strips cut into the center of the road. You may not have them where you live but they are essentially grooves that have been ground into the surface of the road where you see the double yellow paint line. If you look at the yellow line in the vid you can see the grooves. So yes I was driving over continuous small bumps.
OH OK. So then we ARE hearing the same noise. Well, Id say try packing those slide pin holes on the caliper bracket with new grease. Use as much as you can get in there and if that doesn't make it stop then try my method with the blue rtv silicone. It wont damage anything, plus once it dries you can peel it right off. Thats if it doesn't work. Unless someone can chime in and give us some other method.
Old 10-27-11, 09:13 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope I can help, my car to make this clinging noise which started two months ago, but not the same sound in the video provided. I notice my problem while driving on uneven F'd up roads and pulling up to a stop. The noise isn't there on nice paved roads. As I look through the front brake system I noticed the brake shield was the problem. It moves and vibrates against the brakes or what ever is near by. I did my best pushing it away from all the components that it may touch. It may not be the same sound compared to the rest of you guys, but this did the trick for me. Good Luck
Old 10-28-11, 07:08 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked the brake shield before. It has a good 1/2" from any closest part.

This weekend I am going to grease up those slide pins. I did another test, and almost froze myself in the process.

OK. I started whipping turns in a parking lot. Decent ones, slow speed, smooth surface. I can hear the brakes shift and contact the rotor when in a turn. I am now leaning toward the pins needing grease. I don't think the pads shift, they have to spring things in there. I think the whole caliper slides off to the side very freely. I might try this today, if not tomorrow. I'll update you guys as I go. First the grease, then RTV trick.
Old 10-28-11, 07:39 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

I have that ticking noise too. It sounds like it's coming from the head and only happens at 2-3k rpms. Does yours do it all the time?
Old 10-28-11, 08:06 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oslouie
I have that ticking noise too. It sounds like it's coming from the head and only happens at 2-3k rpms. Does yours do it all the time?
dude, what the hell are you talking about. Did you even read the thread? Please read, and keep on topic.
Old 10-28-11, 09:20 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Slickgt, you are describing the exact same soounds I hear. Were getting closer to cracking this case! If I didn't have any halloween parties to attend this weekend id work on this issue myself.
Old 10-28-11, 09:38 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, cracking away at it as time allows. Tightening the crap out of the bolts didn't do anything. Today or this weekend, I am going to try packing the caliper guides with grease. Then I will try the RTV trick on the pads. I'll update you all once I get each step taken care of.
Old 10-28-11, 04:00 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aristo123
OH OK. So then we ARE hearing the same noise. Well, Id say try packing those slide pin holes on the caliper bracket with new grease. Use as much as you can get in there and if that doesn't make it stop then try my method with the blue rtv silicone. It wont damage anything, plus once it dries you can peel it right off. Thats if it doesn't work. Unless someone can chime in and give us some other method.
I have already replaced the pins brand new and when I installed them I jammed as much caliper grease in the hole as I possibly could and still I have this noise. This is why my theory is that the holes in the fixed part of the caliper are actually worn out. Keep in mind my car has 209,000 miles.
At this point I have gotten used to the noise so it doesnt really bother me anymore. If I pull my wheels off sometime soon I might try the silicone but otherwise Im just going to work on getting my LS400 brakes installed and hope that solves it.
Old 10-28-11, 08:23 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Originally Posted by breadbeat
I have already replaced the pins brand new and when I installed them I jammed as much caliper grease in the hole as I possibly could and still I have this noise. This is why my theory is that the holes in the fixed part of the caliper are actually worn out. Keep in mind my car has 209,000 miles.
At this point I have gotten used to the noise so it doesnt really bother me anymore. If I pull my wheels off sometime soon I might try the silicone but otherwise Im just going to work on getting my LS400 brakes installed and hope that solves it.
That's what happened with my civic. I hear you though, I just received my slotted rotors and now I have everything to do my ls400 bbk.

P.s. I did mention earlier that if the noise has been going on for long that eventually the holes get a bit larger therefore no amount of grease will stop metal to metal.
Old 10-31-11, 08:14 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

OK guys update. Here is the problem I had though. Right before I decided to pack the pins with grease, I went for a drive to make sure the noise is there. IT IS NOT THERE anymore. WTF. Yea, maybe its the cold or something, but no noise at all.

Ok. The bolt tightening that I did last week might be the key here. So I came back to garage, tightened it even more, cheater bar on the breaker bar. Took off the caliper, and greased up the caliper slide pins.

Put back together, and guess what, still no noise. I think tightening of those caliper bracket bolts did the trick. It got cold, and they got tighter I guess. I don't get it. My car is garage kept, heated.

But yea, no noise at all anymore. Car feels brand new. You get that tennis ball against carpet thump on bumps now.

Oh and I also sold the car on Sunday. Fixed issue on Sat, Sold and delivered the car on Sun. LOL. So no more testing for me. Sorry guys.
Old 10-31-11, 09:56 AM
aristo123
Intermediate

Right on.....so what do you plan to get next?
Old 10-31-11, 10:39 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Well I will still be here, as I got an IS250 AWD beater. LOL. Daily driver I guess.

I'm in the process of picking up a 2006, BMW 4.8is. Oh yeah. Let the maintenance issues start now.
Old 10-31-11, 11:55 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Glad to hear you accidentally fixed the problem and sold the car.

Originally Posted by slickgt1
dude, what the hell are you talking about. Did you even read the thread? Please read, and keep on topic.
Sorry, I was replying to the wrong thread.
Old 10-31-11, 11:58 AM
SlowGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone knows what these bolts should be torqued to?
Old 10-31-11, 12:02 PM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tennis ball sounding thump over bumps is sway bar bushings...replace front and rear....cheap easy job.

Quick Reply: So has anyone figured out how to solve the brake rattle problem?