Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Major lower control arm woes with pics...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 11:41 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Major lower control arm woes with pics...

Ok so If you saw my outher thread on my lca questions which btw got way to cluttered so I am starting a new thread for this problem only which is when I ordered new prothane front control arm bushings they did not fit on both ears of the lca only one fit and the other was to small which can be seen in the pics below,

So I came to the conclusion that these were replaced with supra lca's which would exp why the bushings don't fit properly but have yet to have confirmation on this

Now the sleeve in one of the ears had a double bevel rolled end on both ends of the 1 ear which there was no way in hell you could ever het any type of bushing in there so we cut it out since it was destroyed anyhow so I am at a major loss here and everybody I asked including people very knowledgable on the subject are also at a loss so my question is does anybody have a sc lca laying around that they could could confirm has 2 different size ears where the bushings go?

Please look at the pics and lmk what you guys think....

Old 10-25-11, 11:43 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't you read the box? Prothane bushings only work in 92-96 control arms.
Old 10-25-11, 11:50 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

So what is the difference? The size of the ear?
Does anybody make bushings for a 97+

Also can I use an early arm in place of mine?

Last edited by xspsi6; 10-26-11 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-26-11, 12:09 AM
kt636
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used this kit on my 97 and fit perfectly. On the first picture, it looks like you cut up and pressed out the bushing sleeve from your control arm. If that's what you did then that's why the bushing didn't fit because you're suppose to leave the sleeve in the arm.
Old 10-26-11, 12:11 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's either what account2x said...

Orrr, judging by the blurry pics with my not so good eyes, it looks like the metal sleeve that's supposed to be super tight to the "ears", which you're not supposed to remove, is gone that's why the poly bushing's too small for the "ears"...

Here's a picture of my extra LCA with the metal sleeve I'm talking about. I took the liberty of taking a pic of my LCA on our dining table with my laptop cam, and you can see there is no significant difference of your LCA from my '95 LCA.
Attached Thumbnails Major lower control arm woes with pics...-photo-on-2011-10-26-at-00.09.jpg   Major lower control arm woes with pics...-photo-on-2011-10-26-at-00.15.jpg   Major lower control arm woes with pics...-photo-on-2011-10-26-at-00.15-2.jpg  

Last edited by OG Dada; 10-26-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-26-11, 12:37 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

kingphilip if you look closely at my pics you will see the bevel in the one side of the ear which is what I pressed out as there was no possiable way to get any type of bushing in there and by looking at your pic I can see ours are worlds apart in shape and size so my next question is are both ears on your control arm the same size?
Mine are the same size and both would require the big poly bushing size that come in the prothane kit but of course there is only 2 of thos and 2 small .

Even if mine had the sleeve like the pic you show I would still be 1/8" to short in overall total diameter .
The front ear that I already pushed a poly in to in the pic has the sleeve like your pic shows .
Old 10-26-11, 12:43 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out post #8 and #9 in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-bushings.html

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-11, 12:44 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Its because you took out the inner sleeve. You need to keep that in and burn out the OEM rubber. Now since you did that order the sleeveless bushing from armstrong distributions. I did that on one of them. Once you order and install the ones that dont require the sleeve youll be ok!
Old 10-26-11, 12:56 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Ohh are we talking about the sleeve? Yea, that sleeve it supposed to stay in the control arm otherwise the bushing will wiggle inside the hole.
Old 10-26-11, 01:04 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Are these the above refered to sleeveless bushings? http://www.ebay.com/itm/528-SC300-40...item27bd613ee1
Even if I trimmed the sleeve my bushing kit would still not fit.
Old 10-26-11, 07:05 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Are these the above refered to sleeveless bushings? http://www.ebay.com/itm/528-SC300-40...item27bd613ee1
Even if I trimmed the sleeve my bushing kit would still not fit.
hey man... im almost 100% sure that the bushings will work from 92-2000 its what everyone is telling u... u were suppose to keep the metal outer shell or sleeve watever u wanna call it. the same ing happened to me.

BUT if by chance u really feel that they will only fit on older model LCA i have an extra set here in my garage. u can come try them out but i know for sure u need the sleeves(shell).

heres a trick... they may seem like they wont fit with the shell on but if u freeze the bushing for about an hour they will squeeze in real tight with the shell and all. gl
Old 10-26-11, 03:05 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Supra LCA are aluminum and SCs are steel.
Old 10-26-11, 04:19 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Supra LCA in later years are aluminum - both are steel in the earlier years as far as I've read. I've got Supra arms on my front end now and had SC's before that, they both weigh the same to me.

But, I will say this, my prothane kit that I put in the SC arms looked like it would fit in the Supra arms as well. I've got a new set of Bushings but I never put them in.

When I put the bushings in the SC's I had to burn the old ones out then grind out all the old rubber from the outer sleeve. I had to press the bushings in with a c-clamp and rubber mallet and then rubber mallet them into place in the mounts...by no means EASY at all. That took me all day to do ONE ARM. Luckily the other one the PO did.
Old 10-26-11, 04:29 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, those sleeves are to stay in, which is why prothane's instruction actually tells you to burn the lca ones out, as opposed to pressing them out, which is what they instruct you to do on pretty much all the other arm bushings for the sc. Thankfully I checked the bushing before I took a sawzall to those sleeves.
Gonna be honest though, burning bushings becomes kinda fun after you get used to it. Though, deburring the insides of the lca's of all the rubber was a pita and took the most amount of time. I used my dremel and a wire brush bit to get most of the leftover rubber out.
Old 10-26-11, 07:20 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I wanted Supra LCAs on my 95 some years ago but didnt want to spend the money. If I can swing it on my light weight 93 Ill have to look at the exact years for the aluminum. Thanks for reminding me.

Quick Reply: Major lower control arm woes with pics...