Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

stock GS caliper vs Supra TT caliper...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 12:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
DaveGS4, I know where your coming from as far as expecting the car to stop sooner than it does. I have only had my GS for about 2k miles now, and I came out of a Supra TT. I cant tell you how many times I have found myself stomping on the pedal as I was ready to be in someones backseat. I would break as I was used to breaking, but the car would not respond as quickly as I expected. I knew the front breaks were fairly new when I bought the car, but it was so bad that I found myself pulling off the front wheels last weekend to see if they were gone already. After I checked them out, the pads are amost new still. I was thinking about going up to the Supra TT set up as well. I geuss the first thing to do is find out if they will fit my 20" HRE's. The problem is I bought them used and I have no idea whether they are high disk, or the offsets of them.

Whats the average cost of the Supra TT uprgrade?
you want to consider the ap racing setup? i have a GB going on, need another person to join, you can read details in the GB forum.

which HRE do you have? if you want email me and i can send you the wheel fitment chart.
Old 10-10-02, 12:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

TT,

Here's the link to the group buy I used to obtain my brakes (look for the TT pieces) -->https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=1

Note the GB is over so the prices will be slightly higher (10%?).

There are a couple of GB's going on for brakes. AP Racing are awesome, but pricey. Not sure about the Wildwood - not much experience with them. Supra TT brakes seemed to be the clear price/performance upgrade leader when I did my research (but there wasn't an AP Racing brake GB going on then, either ).

You should be able to find some stamps on the back of your wheels that tell you the offset, etc. Click here for a link to Dex's website that shows some pics of the stamps on his Lowenhart's to see what I'm talking about... larger pics at the bottom of the page. I'd assume HREs will have something similar.
Old 10-10-02, 01:40 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys.
I saw the GB for the AP's, just not sure if I want spend that much cash for them, although the price is pretty good for what they are.

My HRE's are the 540's, 20x8.5, 20x10.

They probably have the offsets on them somewhere, does the offset alone dictate whether or not the brakes will fit, or is it just one of the factors involved.

Also, I take it the stock 17's wont fit on the car with the Supra TT calipers, which would mean no winter wheels for the GS!! Argh, HRE's on the car in the winter weather, that would suck!
Old 10-10-02, 02:13 AM
zenki300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something someone told me...

When I was ordering the supra brake kit from Angel at Carson Toyota (one of Steve Ganz's crew members), he told me a quick way to see if the Supra Calipers will fit...

Simply take 3 of your fingers (like the middle, ring, and pinky) and see if you can fit them between the stock GS caliper and the inner most part of your rim. I understand some people have fat fingers, but hey, if they fit between your aftermarket rims and your stock calipers (when the wheels are mounted of course) then you should be good to go.
Old 10-10-02, 02:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TTurboPimp
Thanks for the info guys.
I saw the GB for the AP's, just not sure if I want spend that much cash for them, although the price is pretty good for what they are.

My HRE's are the 540's, 20x8.5, 20x10.

They probably have the offsets on them somewhere, does the offset alone dictate whether or not the brakes will fit, or is it just one of the factors involved.

Also, I take it the stock 17's wont fit on the car with the Supra TT calipers, which would mean no winter wheels for the GS!! Argh, HRE's on the car in the winter weather, that would suck!
yes i agree it's quite some cash to spill, but for me safety rules, so oh btw, it sounds like you can pay it monthly, i will post more info as soon as i get them.

no, offset is not enough to determine the fitment, coz' it also depends on the design, spoke sizes, curves, etc... but in general the less offset the better chance. not always, but usually.

and for winter wheels, yes, you won't be able to put on the stock wheels with supra tt brake upgrade. get another set of cheap 18"?
Old 10-10-02, 02:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Something someone told me...

Originally posted by zenki300
When I was ordering the supra brake kit from Angel at Carson Toyota (one of Steve Ganz's crew members), he told me a quick way to see if the Supra Calipers will fit...

Simply take 3 of your fingers (like the middle, ring, and pinky) and see if you can fit them between the stock GS caliper and the inner most part of your rim. I understand some people have fat fingers, but hey, if they fit between your aftermarket rims and your stock calipers (when the wheels are mounted of course) then you should be good to go.
oh that's some very nice rule of thumb. yes i think that's about right indeed. so you can imagine just how much larger the supra tt calipers are
Old 10-10-02, 12:46 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

don't forget that your spare wheel is useless, because it does not fit the front anymore.
Old 10-10-02, 01:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Good reminder Banana. I'm riding around with a can of fix-a-flat right now in case I get a flat on the front.

I looked into Supra TT space saver spares, but no one can seem to find the tires for these wheels at a reasonable price. I'm going to get a used set of Supra TT wheels for my winter or track / spare use. Should be able to pick them up pretty cheap, especially if you don't care about the condition / looks of the wheel (other than it being structurally sound & true).
Old 10-10-02, 08:08 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spare - You can also just buy one spacer and just use your stock 17's (don's know if the 16's will work) A high quality H&R spacer is like $70 retail or so...as for the size, not sure, probably 10-15mm.

Brakes....before you guys get to into getting a new brake package, I would suggest you wait a couple days...I have a pretty nice announcement to make...
Old 10-10-02, 08:40 PM
Aristo V300VE
Driver

I screwed up when I bought my 18" rims because of the offset I can not upgrade to the Supra TT kit. So I bought the metallic pads and cross drilled rotors from Stillen. Also Netz Toyota sells a Master Cylinder stopper that bolts on to where you would put the strut bar. This takes away the mushy feeling from the stock set up.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-02, 12:45 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Manaray, Whats up with the teaser? Now I gotta wait a couple of days in suspense! lol
Old 10-12-02, 07:02 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

All I can say right now is Brembo + 13" rotor + Steel Braided Lines + Pads + Custom CNC'd Bracket for a very, very good price....same setup as the $2995 Brembo package but not priced like it.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not going to be free or the same prices as the plain jane Supra TT upgrade, but if you're were looking into a brake upgrade that costs over $2000, WAIT...you will be very impressed with this offering...
Old 10-12-02, 10:03 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

HMMM, Sounds very interesting!! Im still trying to figure out what I can fit behind these 20" HRE's, I would hate to drop $2,500 plus for a set up that doesnt fit(that would pretty mush suck). I tried the earlier suggestion for the three finger rule(between the stock caliper and the wheel), I dont have that much room. I have about two fingers worth of room. Any thoughts on fitement?

Keep us posted, Thanks
Old 10-13-02, 01:04 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Aristo V300VE
Also Netz Toyota sells a Master Cylinder stopper that bolts on to where you would put the strut bar. This takes away the mushy feeling from the stock set up.
Can you give some more details on this?

thanks.

Ryan

Last edited by AgGS400; 10-13-02 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-13-02, 09:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Well the fitment of the system won't be completed until we get the bracket perfected. We are going to fit the system for maximum performance and safety...the necessary wheel clearance numbers will be posted once we get a working prototype. We are looking to have the brackets finished some time next week for first proto testing...

If I had to guess, I would say that it would be close to the Supra TT setup (maybe a little +/-)....

Oh yeah, just to clarify, the stock GS brake setup is TWO PISTON. It has BOTH pistons on ONE side...the back side (the part you don't see)....setups like the AP or Brembo have pistons (3 and 2 respectively) on each side.

Last edited by Manaray; 10-13-02 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: stock GS caliper vs Supra TT caliper...