Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Brakes needed for IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 08:46 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brakes needed for IS250 AWD

Hi All,

I have a 2008 IS250 AWD with 85,000 miles on the odometer. I'm on my original pads and rotors and the dealership says I'm down to 2mm on the rear pads and 4mm on the front pads. I do basically all highway miles.

I'm getting estimates on doing the front and rear pads with the rotors being resurfaced as Lexus said that the rotors were still good enough to resurface. My question is, generally how long would rotors last after being resurfaced? Is it worth it? Or am I going to have to go back in in the summer to get new rotors too? If the rotors are going to go soon, then I might as well get everything done at once.

If I need to do everything at once, should I:

1) Get the front and rear shim kits too?
2) Get the front and rear fitting kits too?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-14-11, 08:57 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chekmi21
Hi All,

I have a 2008 IS250 AWD with 85,000 miles on the odometer. I'm on my original pads and rotors and the dealership says I'm down to 2mm on the rear pads and 4mm on the front pads. I do basically all highway miles.

I'm getting estimates on doing the front and rear pads with the rotors being resurfaced as Lexus said that the rotors were still good enough to resurface. My question is, generally how long would rotors last after being resurfaced? Is it worth it? Or am I going to have to go back in in the summer to get new rotors too? If the rotors are going to go soon, then I might as well get everything done at once.

If I need to do everything at once, should I:

1) Get the front and rear shim kits too?
2) Get the front and rear fitting kits too?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Unless there's something wrong with the rotors there's no reason at all to resurface them, it does nothing useful and just wastes good rotor metal.

120-150 bucks for 4 new pads and you're all set.... just be sure to get the low-dust ones for the front.

Note- min spec on the pads is 1 mm, so the rears are close, the fronts still have a fair bit of life in em... they're only like 10.5 mm thick BRAND NEW after all, so 4mm is only a little past half-worn.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-14-11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-14-11, 09:02 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info. So you're saying that I should NOT let them resurface the rotors huh? Visually they look ok. Maybe I'll just wait on the fronts then if there is no immediate need to get them done. I want to get the rears done before I lose the pad entirely and it starts eating into the rotors.
Old 11-14-11, 10:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info. So you're saying that I should NOT let them resurface the rotors huh? Visually they look ok. Maybe I'll just wait on the fronts then if there is no immediate need to get them done. I want to get the rears done before I lose the pad entirely and it starts eating into the rotors.

Yeah, there's no cause to resurface a rotor if there's nothing wrong with the rotor... Here's what GM published on the topic:

Originally Posted by GM technical bulletin #00-05-22-002
Brake rotors should only be turned when one of the following rotor surface conditions exist: severe scoring with depth in excess of 1.5 mm or 0.060 inch, pulsation from excessive lateral runout of more than .080 mm or .003 inch, thickness variation in excess of 0.025 mm or 0.001 inch, or excessive corrosion on rotor braking surfaces....Rotors are not to be resurfaced in an attempt to correct the following conditions: noise/squeal, cosmetic corrosion, routine pad replacement or discoloration/hard spots.
All it does is shorten rotor life when done as a routine procedure. Great for the shop, since they get to charge for extra work and get to sell you replacement rotors sooner... not so great for the owner of the car though.
Old 11-15-11, 04:13 AM
Baaku
Rookie

In general, the cost difference between resurfacing and buying new ones, when stretched over time, is $10-20-- not worth it IMO, especially from a safety standpoint. The prices for rotors have dropped dramatically in the last few years, making resurfacing less necessary. Also, a visual inspection may only give you one snapshot, if you run your fingers across the diameter of the rotor and feel grooves, there may not be enough material to resurface. The 4mm rotors, once resurfaced, can drop 1mm, so now you're getting close to having to buy new ones. I'd buy new ones especially when your mileage is so high on them. Resurfacing may also mean you come back in <1 year and pay the costs for replacement, which may be almost equal to the cost of having bought new ones. I wouldn't risk my safety for a few bucks... but that's just me.

Finally, I saved tons of money by buying my own stands, hydraulic jack and tools (full set of metric wrenches, torque wrench, brake cleaner, caliper paint, etc.) at a flea market-- for <$40. Watched the videos on how to do it, and successfully replaced the rotors and pads on my G35, so the IS250 shouldn't be too much harder except for putting the small pins back on correctly. BTW, since I was in there, the calipers were painted silver with G2 caliper paint... and I feel safe and rather self impressed. I subsequently performed the proper bedding process and it was all done.

Just as an aside, while playing around that weekend, I ran Sea Foam thru the vacuum line.

The neighbors were impressed... a young female doing her own brake job is a quite a sight where I live. All of this to say that if I can do it, most anyone else should be able to if they have time and an interest.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Isa

Last edited by Baaku; 11-15-11 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 07:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Baaku
In general, the cost difference between resurfacing and buying new ones, when stretched over time, is $10-20-- not worth it IMO, especially from a safety standpoint. The prices for rotors have dropped dramatically in the last few years, making resurfacing less necessary. Also, a visual inspection may only give you one snapshot, if you run your fingers across the diameter of the rotor and feel grooves, there may not be enough material to resurface. The 4mm rotors, once resurfaced, can drop 1mm, so now you're getting close to having to buy new ones. I'd buy new ones especially when your mileage is so high on them. Resurfacing may also mean you come back in <1 year and pay the costs for replacement, which may be almost equal to the cost of having bought new ones. I wouldn't risk my safety for a few bucks... but that's just me.

Finally, I saved tons of money by buying my own stands, hydraulic jack and tools (full set of metric wrenches, torque wrench, brake cleaner, caliper paint, etc.) at a flea market-- for <$40. Watched the videos on how to do it, and successfully replaced the rotors and pads on my G35, so the IS250 shouldn't be too much harder except for putting the small pins back on correctly. BTW, since I was in there, the calipers were painted silver with G2 caliper paint... and I feel safe and rather self impressed. I subsequently performed the proper bedding process and it was all done.

Just as an aside, while playing around that weekend, I ran Sea Foam thru the vacuum line.

The neighbors were impressed... a young female doing her own brake job is a quite a sight where I live. All of this to say that if I can do it, most anyone else should be able to if they have time and an interest.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Isa

Uh...the 4mm and 1mm measurements from the OP are of the pads not the rotors

We've thusfar had no evidence whatsoever that there's any reason for him to do anything at all to his rotors, other than his dealership wanting to make money from him.

Again- if there's nothing seriously wrong with em (which would be pretty obvious from a brief inspection- the GM note describes the kind of issues I'm talking about) there's no reason to do anything to them at all.

Congrats on doing your own brakes though, and I agree with you that more people ought to try it.
Old 11-15-11, 07:51 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Yes the measurements are purely for the pads and not the rotors. The dealership claimed that the rotors were fine but should be resurfaced with the new pads.

I'd love to do my own work, obviously it saves a bunch of money...but I'll be lucky if I can change a light bulb without dropping it into the engine bay. Anyone doing their own oil change, kudos...a girl, extra kudos!

I think I'm going to just get the rears done this weekend and I'll play out the rest. $270 for the rears with OEM pads.
Old 11-15-11, 06:37 PM
Baaku
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Uh...the 4mm and 1mm measurements from the OP are of the pads not the rotors

We've thusfar had no evidence whatsoever that there's any reason for him to do anything at all to his rotors, other than his dealership wanting to make money from him.

Again- if there's nothing seriously wrong with em (which would be pretty obvious from a brief inspection- the GM note describes the kind of issues I'm talking about) there's no reason to do anything to them at all.

Congrats on doing your own brakes though, and I agree with you that more people ought to try it.
Ooooops... mea culpa, mea culpa. I wasn't paying attention and just started typing away. Thanks for correcting this.
I think I'm going to just get the rears done this weekend and I'll play out the rest. $270 for the rears with OEM pads.

Good pads are generally <$90... are they gold or silver plated?

Good luck!
Isa
Old 11-15-11, 09:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Baaku

Good pads are generally <$90... are they gold or silver plated?

Good luck!
Isa
OEM rear pads are like $65 from sewell...
Old 11-16-11, 02:07 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
OEM rear pads are like $65 from sewell...
Nope. It's $47.62 when you signed in as CL
Old 11-16-11, 02:55 AM
Baaku
Rookie

So.... labor is $200 for 1 hour of work plus a carwash?

OP, time to stop getting ripped off and invest in your own tools.
Old 11-16-11, 09:28 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

All the places I've called around here quote around $250-$270 for the rear with OEM Pads. Lexus wanted $440 after a $50 coupon.

No one will do it cheaper. Trust me, I'd love to do it myself...but I just don't have the time nor the skillset to learn and do it right. Plus brakes aren't something that I would trust myself doing. If a light bulb goes out, fine, but if the brakes don't work...
Old 11-22-11, 07:07 PM
kab2103
Driver School Candidate

Those prices are crazy that you have been quoted for the rear. Is there no one in Massachusetts that won't shaft you on this job?
Old 11-22-11, 10:32 PM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

I'm in mass and plan on doing my is250 awd brakes soon it's usually easy. Where r u from?