Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear suspension fustration

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 04:18 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear suspension fustration

Okay guys, I've had my SC4 for a really long time now (about five years). The first thing I did was put coils on it.

As of recently, I noticed the rear left (driver side) was lower than the rear right (passenger). So I raised the coilovers up on that one side, and it helped out a bit.

I figured it was spring fatigue, and maybe time for a rebuild (Tein Basics for A80).

So fast forward to today, I put on my TT Struts and a lowering springs (no idea of the brand bought it used for temp to get the coils rebuilt)

and guess what.

The rear left is still lower than the right. I checked the bushings and everything seems to be okay as far as that goes, on the right side, I needed to replace the lower control arm, but nothing on the left.

Can anyone help? The reason why I'm worried about it, is because the rear fender is actually digging into the tire. It never did that before until recently, and I have no idea why it's doing it now.
Old 11-29-11, 04:51 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be alignment, or there's something wrong with the cross member, which the alignment guy would find out once he works on it. I recently found out that the right side of my rear crossmember where the camber washer is supposed to lean to push the lower control arm inward was rounded because the last guy who did the alignment didn't tighten the bolts so whenever I come across bumps or whatever in the road the camber washer would smash on that part of the crossmember. So, get some really EXPERIENCED guys check your alignment before anything else. Just a hint of how experienced the guys who did my alignment was, they don't use computers aligning.

Last edited by OG Dada; 11-29-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 05:09 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Hmm, maybe, but you think it would case that much of a difference in the sides? The left side is almost tucked compared to the right side.

The right side does have the camber maxed out on it though. I'll put it on the rack and look it over first on all the bushings before anything else
Old 11-29-11, 05:21 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, it does make a big difference. I noticed this after the guy worked on my SC. Just imagine, because the last alignment guys didn't tighten the bolts for the lower control arm camber bolts the right side ended up -3.4 camber and the left side with -2.5 camber. The left side tire was tucking in before the correction while there's a wheel gap at the right side of 1in.

Bushings doesn't cause too much of a difference to the height cause you have stabilizer bars, unless it's completely gone, which doesn't really happen for control arms. Although it's not bad to check it.
Old 11-29-11, 07:25 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of negative camber will definitely make a big difference in ride height on each corner.
Old 11-29-11, 07:47 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Okay guys, I've had my SC4 for a really long time now (about five years). The first thing I did was put coils on it.

As of recently, I noticed the rear left (driver side) was lower than the rear right (passenger). So I raised the coilovers up on that one side, and it helped out a bit.

I figured it was spring fatigue, and maybe time for a rebuild (Tein Basics for A80).

So fast forward to today, I put on my TT Struts and a lowering springs (no idea of the brand bought it used for temp to get the coils rebuilt)

and guess what.

The rear left is still lower than the right. I checked the bushings and everything seems to be okay as far as that goes, on the right side, I needed to replace the lower control arm, but nothing on the left.

Can anyone help? The reason why I'm worried about it, is because the rear fender is actually digging into the tire. It never did that before until recently, and I have no idea why it's doing it now.
I have a similar problem, But on the passenger's side...The problem is my Rear Upper Control arms and it's bushings...Could it be that?
Old 11-29-11, 11:43 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Yeah I checked the bushings last month when I replaced my right side LCA and everythign seemed good.

I'm going to put it back on the lift tomorrow, but it seems the suspension leveled out since I drove it around a little.

However, it seems like it's still rubbing on the right side.

Since I couldn't tell, I put some white shoe polish on my tire, and drove the car so I could kinda gauge how the tire was getting chewed up. I think I just might need to roll my fenders.
Old 12-01-11, 04:02 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Well I think I found the probably why my tire was getting eaten up. What I thought to be a wheel bearing ended up being a loose axle nut. I'll be taking a small road trip today so I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 12-01-11, 04:15 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

As long as the cotter pin is there with the axle nut lock, the axle nut isn't going anywhere. But you really need to tighten that axle nut up to torque specs so it don't damage the bearing. GL