Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 04:37 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbles

Just curious if anyone else has this problem, I have a 93 with stock suspension and 18's and whenever im on the highway or going over..ill guess 70 (broken speedo), I can feel the car wobble. Anyone have an idea as to why this occuring? My guess is the car just sits wayyyyy to high and at those speeds it wobbles back in forth when Im on the throttle. Any input is appreciated, thankyou!
Old 12-01-11, 04:42 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

if your steering wheel wobbles you need your wheels balanced if the whole car is shaking you either need wheel bearings or control arm bushings or maybe one of your wheels are bent
Old 12-01-11, 05:32 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

get wheels rebalanced. if no change, get hub rings.
Old 12-01-11, 06:21 PM
mikesautos
Driver School Candidate

control arm bushing. 9 out of 10 times
Old 12-01-11, 06:32 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesautos
control arm bushing. 9 out of 10 times
11 out of 10 dentists agree
Old 12-01-11, 07:12 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Did the problem start when you installed your 18's?
Old 12-05-11, 08:26 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

I also realized my tires bald lol and it started when i put the stock suspension back on, when i bought it it had springs and the 18s, i switched to stock and a month later is when i began noticing it. I have rear control arms waiting to b put on when i buy coilovers, think fronts will also need to be switched out?
Old 12-05-11, 09:04 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Your bald tire, tire pressure, old shocks, wheel size, and the size of your stiff tire sidewall is all associated with the issue you described.
Im in the same situation, took my coilovers off and installed my stock suspension with my 18x9s having the same issue. All my c/a bushings are good, so are my sway bar end links.
This didnt not happen on my stock suspension with stock and softer wheels/ tires that was designed for this car
I recommend going with aftermarket suspension to compensate the ride with your 18s
I'm not an expert, but this is what I summed up from my calculations and experience.
Old 12-05-11, 10:41 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Your bald tire, tire pressure, old shocks, wheel size, and the size of your stiff tire sidewall is all associated with the issue you described.
Im in the same situation, took my coilovers off and installed my stock suspension with my 18x9s having the same issue. All my c/a bushings are good, so are my sway bar end links.
This didnt not happen on my stock suspension with stock and softer wheels/ tires that was designed for this car
I recommend going with aftermarket suspension to compensate the ride with your 18s
I'm not an expert, but this is what I summed up from my calculations and experience.
Thats what I thought, im saving for coilovers and hoped that would solve the problem. Caz like i said, It didnt become an issue untill the stock suspension was put on and I just noticed 2 days ago how bald my tires are lol As long as my SC isnt the only one doing it I feel ok about it for now, just gotta keep saving!
Old 12-05-11, 03:25 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

if you switched shocks and springs and didnt get an alignment thats your problem or if the 18s came with the car didnt have hubcentric rings it adds to the problem...your tires arent bald cus the car is lowered its cus your alighnment is incorrect or your tires had the incorrect pressure your doing alot of uneccesary things man you should have left the car as is and get a alighnment and new tires
Old 12-11-11, 04:05 PM
TTschmitta
Driver

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
if you switched shocks and springs and didnt get an alignment thats your problem or if the 18s came with the car didnt have hubcentric rings it adds to the problem...your tires arent bald cus the car is lowered its cus your alighnment is incorrect or your tires had the incorrect pressure your doing alot of uneccesary things man you should have left the car as is and get a alighnment and new tires
No i was just saying I noticed they were bald after I posted this, i was just pointing that out. As for the wheels and alignment its all goooood, ive had it aligned and balanced, etc so thats not the issue. Thew new tires should reduce my problem some but I guess Ill have to live with the wobbles till I go to coils, I just wanted to make sure my problem wasnt unheard of or anything.
Old 12-31-11, 08:22 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
if your steering wheel wobbles you need your wheels balanced if the whole car is shaking you either need wheel bearings or control arm bushings or maybe one of your wheels are bent

is there a definite way to verify if teh wheel bearings are the problematic?

(i have a feeling mine will need to be replaced soon)
Old 01-06-12, 10:09 AM
TTschmitta
Driver

Turns out my rear control arm was slowly seperating itself from the wheel. I now have coilovers and my megan arms will b put on when i get new bolts for them. Just an update for anyone curious.