Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cheap Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 09:28 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap Coilovers

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this and was wondering if anyone has used them before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-93-94-95-...item23173daf82

I mean if it's stiff enough it should be a good deal right? Maybe not for the person who wants to slam their car but for someone to wants to eliminate wheel gap.
Old 12-13-11, 11:12 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

No one? I was thinking of maybe just using the sleeves with my Eibachs.
Old 12-13-11, 11:15 AM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time you create a reliable set up with these sleeves, your cost will more then likely be fairly close to the cost of a cheaper set of true coilovers such as the Megan EZ Street. Are you planning on running these sleeves with your stock shocks or will you be getting new shocks?
Old 12-13-11, 11:26 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

you can't really use normal lowering springs w/ that, it looks like they'd use narrower coilover springs. So, you'd have to go swift or hypercoil or something of that nature because I would not trust my car with those springs. Just stick with your eibachs, or go coilover like sonicmotor said.
Old 12-13-11, 01:15 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

I probably wouldn't get them but it was just food for thought. I know they made cheap coilovers for 240s and civics and this was the first time I've seen some ebay ones for a SC. Just waiting for them to make ebay lower control arms with bushings for our car. LOL!
Old 12-13-11, 01:44 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

I'm not against knock off components, just aim for somewhat decent welds. after all, you are entrusting your life in these suspension components and driving them hundreds of miles.
Old 12-13-11, 07:18 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save your money for something better. If you need help feel free to PM us.
Old 12-14-11, 05:59 PM
deathsled
Rookie

Originally Posted by greens14
I'm not against knock off components, just aim for somewhat decent welds. after all, you are entrusting your life in these suspension components and driving them hundreds of miles.
there are no welds on a spring or a threaded sleeve

Anyway, what would be good to know is what the spring rates are for the coils that come with these. You could try emailing the seller but it's possible they will have no clue. However, I once emailed a seller about the exact same thing back when I considered some for one of my S2000s and they DID know the spring rates, so you might get lucky.
Old 12-14-11, 07:56 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

I wouldn't even put that on a honda. Save your money and get higher quality components. You can always get a fender stretching kit to get rid of the wheel gap.
Old 12-14-11, 08:00 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your money on that. I have some JICs for a supra that will be on sale very soon for cheap. Hit me up if interested.
Old 12-14-11, 08:03 PM
deathsled
Rookie

Originally Posted by SEXC
I wouldn't even put that on a honda. Save your money and get higher quality components. You can always get a fender stretching kit to get rid of the wheel gap.
Care to elaborate why you think these would be worse than say the Bilstein coilover sleeve kits utilized in the coveted gixxer_drew suspension?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...pension-thread

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-B4BOA0000117/

by the time you've bought the necessary 4 of those you're almost 2x the price of the kit being discussed here and you don't even have springs yet.

As long as the "cheap" ones aren't made from a vastly inferior metal (the Bilsteins are just aluminum) then there is no reason why these would be a bad buy. They're just sleeves and collars after all. In fact I'm sure they're totally compatible with HyperCoil springs if you wanted to change spring rates around.
Old 12-14-11, 08:31 PM
deathsled
Rookie

So I messaged the seller out of curiosity to see if he knew the spring rates.

He said the springs are 250f 225r.

That is SUPER soft in the front I think. The gixxer_drew setup recommends 500f 250r for the "street" setup which is supposed to ride as comfortably as stock. So it seems like different springs would be a must. However, maybe you just need to drop ~$100 for a pair of new springs for the front and off you go.
Old 12-14-11, 08:46 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deathsled
Care to elaborate why you think these would be worse than say the Bilstein coilover sleeve kits utilized in the coveted gixxer_drew suspension?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...pension-thread

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSN-B4BOA0000117/

by the time you've bought the necessary 4 of those you're almost 2x the price of the kit being discussed here and you don't even have springs yet.

As long as the "cheap" ones aren't made from a vastly inferior metal (the Bilsteins are just aluminum) then there is no reason why these would be a bad buy. They're just sleeves and collars after all. In fact I'm sure they're totally compatible with HyperCoil springs if you wanted to change spring rates around.
Take a look at the quality between the two. I guarantee Drew wouldn't use cheap quality parts like the ones mention by the OP. Just take a look at his background and you will know. You can have a nice used coilover setup with low miles for $1000 or less and you can have dampening and ride height adjustment. The setups I recommend are coilovers that also have the body adjustment so that you don't lose suspension travel (better ride quality).
Old 12-14-11, 08:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by deathsled
Anyway, what would be good to know is what the spring rates are for the coils that come with these.
The problem is that they couldn't tell you the spring rate. Crappy springs are inconsistent so whatever number they give you, it's probably not going to accurate.

Hell even Megan springs are crap in spring rate consistency. I had a chance to put a pair on a dyno and they just sucked. Daily drivers probably won't notice it though.
Old 12-23-11, 03:23 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

@ dethsled opps. i actually didnt click the ebay link and assumed they were godspeed full coils!

also at gsteg, yea ive heard lots of back and forth about spring rate consistency, but to say the least unless youre corner balancing your car's wet+ driver weight wouldnt the difference be negligible (granted same estimated spring/strut dampening rates)

I've always wondered at which exact level does it become a critical factor

Quick Reply: Cheap Coilovers