Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ABS Module Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-11, 03:12 PM
wes459
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Module Question

So here's my problem-

I recently bought a '99 SC300, and have loved driving this car. A few months ago though, I had a violent vibration coming from the right front wheel. I had the tire balanced, but to no avail. Later that same afternoon, I noticed the distinct odor of burning brake pads. I pulled over and found that my right front wheel was covered in brake dust and EXTREMELY hot. I let it cool down, and nursed the car back home.

A few days later I drove the car to a friend's shop and we replaced the right front caliper, thinking that the problem was only that it was seizing up. After installing the new caliper and driving home, halfway back, the vibration started again...not nearly as bad as before, but noticeable. When I pulled in the driveway and let the car sort of idle up to my garage, I noticed that the right front caliper seemed to be pulsing and then releasing. This would explain the vibration at highway speeds.

Fast forward to today, and I've troubleshot the crap out of this thing, and the only mechanical and logical explanation for only the right front "pulsing" would come from the ABS module...(so I think)... I got a used one from a local parts junkyard who've provided many of my friends with quality parts. I was cleaning the module when I noticed that with the mounting bracket taken off, there are two large (almost an inch in diameter) black plastic "screws" on the bottom side that couldn't be seen with the bracket on. Are these like adjustment screws for bias, or are they just some sort of cover for the internal abs reservoirs in the module?

Sorry it took so long to get to the question...just thought I would fully explain my situation and see if anyone else might have experienced this as well. Any advice would definitely be appreciated as well! I plan on going with an LS400 BBK upgrade, but I wanted to resolve this issue first before doing anything else.
Old 12-15-11, 05:35 PM
wes459
Rookie

So for those of you that have read this post... I installed the ABS module and it didn't fix the problem. Although it does stop on heck of a lot stronger and faster now. And I tried like hell to get the tires to squeal to a stop and barely got a chirp before the ABS kicked in hardcore.

Oh well, guess I'll go ahead and order new front rotors and see what that does.
Old 12-15-11, 10:44 PM
chaacmool1
Rookie

hi hello Wes459 I had this same problem and when to check my car I see my sttering rack and sway bar you can see on the pics buy my kit the daizen I fix and as not have the same vibration.
Old 12-18-11, 04:40 PM
wes459
Rookie

So I've ordered new calipers, lines, and rotors, should be here just after Christmas. I wanted to go with LS 400 brakes, but I don't have wheels that would clear them, and I'm afraid that the size spacers I would need to clear them would leave me with very little thread on my lugs. So until I get new wheels, no LS 400 BBK :/

Oh well, at least this way every part in my brake system will be brand new
Old 12-20-11, 04:47 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure someone on here has LS400 brakes with stock 95-96 SC300 wheels.