Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

sticky calipers, even after buying new ones

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 10:45 AM
peelsSC300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky calipers, even after buying new ones

I got new pads, rotors and calipers, and my front brakes are still sticky. I even flushed the old fluid out and put in new fluid. according to the previous owner, he put on braided supra brake lines. could that be my problem? or could it be my brake booster?
Old 12-17-11, 04:00 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

how do you know its sticky?
Old 12-17-11, 04:41 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the line is kinked it will hold pressure to the caliper, thats why you never let the caliper hang by just the hose when taking it off. you can use a thermometer infrared gun to see which rotor is the hottest therefore sticking. i think they have one at harbor fright for like 30$. mine were stuck so bad i could see it glowing red at night
Old 12-17-11, 07:35 PM
peelsSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by k7q
how do you know its sticky?
Because my brakes smoke frm time to time. Right before they start to smoke, my steering wheel shakes very violently. And I hardly even have to touch the brakes to stop.

Originally Posted by topdog849
if the line is kinked it will hold pressure to the caliper, thats why you never let the caliper hang by just the hose when taking it off. you can use a thermometer infrared gun to see which rotor is the hottest therefore sticking. i think they have one at harbor fright for like 30$. mine were stuck so bad i could see it glowing red at night
I didn't let them hang when I put I took off the old ones or put the new ones on. I used heavy duty zip ties to hold them up. Both wheels start to smoke pretty much at the same time.
Old 12-18-11, 01:05 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

your problem def isn't the booster. sense you've already replaced everything I would put in new brake hose
Old 12-18-11, 02:41 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Are your brakes bled all the way through?
Make sure you don't have air in lines, and I would go back to the regular brake lines, unless you have ls400 rotors. I hope it's not your abs unit.
Old 12-18-11, 04:22 PM
peelsSC300
Driver

ill bleed the brakes again for safe measure. I don't have ls400 brakes right now. but I do plan on having some very soon. if my abs unit is bad. how hard is it to change?
Old 12-18-11, 04:28 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

air in the brakes just causes soft spongy pedal feel. I doubt it's the abs if the light isn't on
Old 12-18-11, 04:36 PM
wes459
Rookie

Dude the ABS unit is a very simple swap, it's bleeding everything that takes the longest. I am in the middle of the same problem, and have new calipers, lines, rotors, and pads on order. I already tried the ABS unit swap and that wasn't it. I talked to the owner of the shop that I take my Z to, and he said that without a doubt it would be my lines, especially since I am not having any type of ABS code being thrown.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-18-11, 04:43 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

did your re use anything like shims clips etc....?? if both are smoking its probably abs related im guesing the abs control module... most abs systems have 2 valves one for front brakes and one for the rear if the fronts open it explains why it doesnt take much to stop when they start smoking. somthing is causing the abs to think it needs to open the valve
Old 12-18-11, 04:47 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wes459
Dude the ABS unit is a very simple swap, it's bleeding everything that takes the longest. I am in the middle of the same problem, and have new calipers, lines, rotors, and pads on order. I already tried the ABS unit swap and that wasn't it. I talked to the owner of the shop that I take my Z to, and he said that without a doubt it would be my lines, especially since I am not having any type of ABS code being thrown.

Hope this helps!
did he explain to you how lines could cause caliper pistons to clamp with out pressing the pedal?? not saying he is wrong just cant seem to make sense of it
Old 12-18-11, 05:02 PM
wes459
Rookie

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
did he explain to you how lines could cause caliper pistons to clamp with out pressing the pedal?? not saying he is wrong just cant seem to make sense of it
The vibration occurs after tapping the brake pedal, and then, when on the highway, will gradually just go away, until the point where I have to hit the brakes again. From the way he explained it, whatever is wrong with the line will not allow fluid to flow back out of the caliper because there isn't enough force pushing it out of the caliper, so I won't notice a problem when braking, but after braking is when the caliper tries to hold and slowly releases, which causes the vibration. At least that is what is going on with mine. I'll call him a liar though if my new parts don't fix the problem...lol
Old 12-18-11, 05:06 PM
peelsSC300
Driver

thanks for all the info guys. my brakes do feel a little spongy at times,but, it has felt that way since the day I got the car. lucky for me I have a full parts car in my yard. ill just pull its abs unit and modular and see if that helps.
Old 12-18-11, 05:09 PM
peelsSC300
Driver

The vibration occurs after tapping the brake pedal, and then, when on the highway, will gradually just go away, until the point where I have to hit the brakes again. From the way he explained it, whatever is wrong with the line will not allow fluid to flow back out of the caliper because there isn't enough force pushing it out of the caliper, so I won't notice a problem when braking, but after braking is when the caliper tries to hold and slowly releases, which causes the vibration. At least that is what is going on with mine. I'll call him a liar though if my new parts don't fix the problem...lol

that is exactly what my brakes are doing.
Old 12-18-11, 05:16 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

understood but there are 4 brakelines not 1, that goes to all the calipers he has both fronts smoking if one line was messed up only one of the brakes would be smoking or locking up unless miraculously he is 1 out of a million with 2 of his lines crimped or somthing.lol if it was the brake booster i would suspect all 4 smoking cus it adds pressure to all lines so i doubt its that only thing that works in pairs instead of fours is the abs

Quick Reply: sticky calipers, even after buying new ones