Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ball joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 10:52 PM
GSTank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint replacement

Hey guys, I have a '00 Lexus GS300, and it's all stock. I've posted an introduction thread here before, and someone suggested that I should change my ball joints and replace with an 01+ stock ball joint from the GS3's. What do you guys think? If I were to replace my ball joints, would there be anything else that I would need to replace? And what brand and where do you guys recommend buying these ball joints. Thanks.
Old 12-26-11, 12:55 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought OEM balljoints from sewell with a pretty nice forum discount.

heres the link http://lexus.sewellparts.com/
Old 12-27-11, 01:45 AM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monkey92
i bought OEM balljoints from sewell with a pretty nice forum discount.

heres the link http://lexus.sewellparts.com/
+1, but just to clarify, the ball joints weren't any different from one year to another as far as i know, i believe it's control arm # 2 also known as ( trailing arm, caster arm or S arm) that was updated with a bigger bushing and overall arm. Definitely replace the trailing arms WITH the lower ball joints since it's the worn out trailing arm which then causes failure of the ball joints.
Old 12-27-11, 09:04 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Can one upgrade the 98-00 GS to the 01-up caster arm?

I am about to do at least one ball joint (Squeaking, but I greased it last night and it feels 100x better, but still will get replaced ASAP), I have one caster arm with fresh Daizen bushing to go in for now, the other I need a new bushing for.

Originally Posted by kowala
+1, but just to clarify, the ball joints weren't any different from one year to another as far as i know, i believe it's control arm # 2 also known as ( trailing arm, caster arm or S arm) that was updated with a bigger bushing and overall arm. Definitely replace the trailing arms WITH the lower ball joints since it's the worn out trailing arm which then causes failure of the ball joints.
Old 12-29-11, 03:07 AM
kondratus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Im curious as well, i have a stock GS , 98. im about to take care of my front suspension, and do i necessarily have to replace the whole caster arm, or can i just replace the worn out bushings couse my lower balljoints had been replaced already, (flowing D.I.Y. for DEIZEN bushings). Thank you
Old 12-29-11, 08:26 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a text from a buddy with a picture of his ball joints failing in the middle of traffic rush hour. REPLACE YOUR LBJ ASAP. 98-00 LBJ is different from 01 and up from what I remember.

Last edited by speedaddic; 12-29-11 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-29-11, 08:43 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My left one came in yesterday, will be swapped this weekend. The Moog replacement BJ has a grease fitting, so you can gears it up. The joint itself is made in Japan, 555 or Three Fives is the brand, and the arm and joint together is sold by Moog. Seems a very nice quality piece. I'll grab the other side here in a few weeks.

I greased mine with a needle fitting and shut it up from the squeak that just started.

Was your buddies car lowered at all? The only picts of people's cars with failed BJ's are lowered, makes me wonder if the joint was binding and snapped off from that.

Total bummer on it, how bad was the fender? Any accident? Hope all is ok. That is why I ordered one ASAP. You can get on Amazon with free shipping (for prime members) for $45.

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I just got a text from a buddy with a picture of his ball joints failing in the middle of traffic rush hour. REPLACE YOUR LBJ ASAP. 98-00 LBJ is different from 01 and up from what I remember.
Old 12-30-11, 03:37 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
i believe 01+ lbj are just built beefier compared to the 98-00... that being said i dont think they sell 98-00 anymore since 01+ can be used in place.

least thats what i think
Old 12-30-11, 04:22 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

while you're down there, you might want to consider freshening up the suspension (I would recommend at least getting new shocks will be an improvement, it if you're still on the original ones which are now 12years old. Or if you want to modify with aftermarket parts, this is a good time to consider it). As well as any other parts that are worn. You need to ask your mechanic to evaluate what is worn out and what is still in good shape, otherwise you maybe wasting money replacing good parts.

At a minimum, you'll save by not having to redo the alignment multiple times. It's up to the shop's practices if they'll give you a discount on labor for doing multiple things at once.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-30-11 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-31-11, 04:47 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they go with age and also alot of pot holes