Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New EDFC install.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 09:10 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mcgong
Very nice! I am seriously considering getting the edfc. I would love to have to option to change my suspension by the push of a button. That way I can change the ride depending on what mood I am in that day....speed racer...or grandma driver.

BTW, did you install the controller over the lower vent?
Yes, the controller was mounted over the lower vent but we closed off the vent first. Living in So Cali, there's really no reason to have my feet toasty! Due to the size of the cables, finding a location to mount the controller is very difficult. The location I picked gave me the abilty to hide all wires, no cutting of parts, and of course, Easy access!
Old 10-16-02, 12:37 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken - Great job on the install...nice location I agree that the EDFC is a "must have" with coilovers, at the very least it's a very nice to have
Old 10-16-02, 08:48 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Quick Q. GS, coilovers and 19's-20's with the wheels tucked. Say I have 1 or 2 people in the back seat and my car rubs, when you use that unit to make the coilovers "hard" will it stiffen up the rear so it will ride rough, but not bottom out?
Old 10-16-02, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by jpa2400
Quick Q. GS, coilovers and 19's-20's with the wheels tucked. Say I have 1 or 2 people in the back seat and my car rubs, when you use that unit to make the coilovers "hard" will it stiffen up the rear so it will ride rough, but not bottom out?
first of all, yes, if you stiffen the rear up it won't bounce as much and harder to rub. and second, if you get the right offset rims, you shouldn't rub at all. i have 19x9 and rmmgs4 has 19x10 and we have no problems. i am only running 5 clicks on my rear HA
Old 10-17-02, 02:44 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

another reason why you should have the EDFC. If you have some "heavy weight" friends sitting in the back, you can stiffen up the rear with a push of the button...
Old 10-17-02, 08:46 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

One more reason to do a GS or LS now. Well from what I seen if you have the back wheels tucked real nice it will rub with people in the back.
Old 10-17-02, 06:34 PM
cong28
Lead Lap

Well from what I seen if you have the back wheels tucked real nice it will rub with people in the back.
My rear tires never rubbed and my tires are tucked under without people on the back. I had 5 people including myself and had it at the softest setting at 16 clicks and I didn't bottom out nor did my tire rubbed. I have 20x10 in the rear.
Old 10-17-02, 07:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by cong28

My rear tires never rubbed and my tires are tucked under without people on the back. I had 5 people including myself and had it at the softest setting at 16 clicks and I didn't bottom out nor did my tire rubbed. I have 20x10 in the rear.
softest settings should be 0/0
Old 10-17-02, 07:23 PM
LexFather

Dude, that is a very useful mod, I did not know that was even available!
Old 10-17-02, 07:34 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl

softest settings should be 0/0
Henry - With the EDFC 16/16 is designated as the softest setting, 0/0 the hardest. I the setting are the same, just reversed with the EDFC.
Old 10-19-02, 04:54 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like Rominl said, I have 19 x 10 w/ 285's and don't rub. See my post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=58572

With 4 passengers , 1 child and luggage packed in the trunk like tuna in a can, and a full tank of gas you better believe my tires tucked. On the way back from Reno, I cranked the rears up full stiff. To answer your question, the ride DID NOT get worse because the shock damping just compensates for the extra weight. I was extremely happy doing the twisties, passing everyone around me without any real driver effort. Most of the time driving with one hand and a modest grip. The cars around me looked like they were in slow motion. No one in the car was complaining of my speed, because it didn't "feel" like I was driving fast or that the car was unstable. A very secure feeling. I often take new passengers for fun runs; they don't think much until I tell them we're doing that turn at 90 mph or just hit 135 on that straight. The sensation of speed is deceiving, because the car is so stable and relatively smooth.

On the same trip, somewhere around Sacramento, I was doing 80+ in a sweeping right hander, then right in the middle of the turn I saw a big dip in the fast lane. Too late to react, so I just maintained my speed and hit it. I was waiting to hear/feel the car bottom and make some nasty sound. Instead the car just bounced once firmly and tracked steady. No rubbing, no hard bottoming. If I did the same turn in my dads Caddy Fleetwood (which I have been known to drive agressively) I would of had my hands full, keeping that Tuna boat off the guard rail.

The EDFC is at the top of my list for next mod. Icing on the cake for any adjustable Tein suspension, IMO.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-19-02 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-19-02, 05:49 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

the same edfc will work with flex, ha, ra, and cs. i believe someone checked it out and they all have the same kind of head and bolt type. so you basically just hook up the edfc to the top of the suspension and boom there you go
Rominl,
It's probably me yer quoting. Let's not take any liability here. Check the Tein website yourselves, there's a pdf file that says how to check if your Tein will retro-fit the EDFC.

Can't remember exactly what it said, but I think there may have been some adjustment ***** that were produced in the past that would not fit. Check the Tein specs and your coilovers before buying.

There are also specs on the stepper motors. According to those specs the RMM bar should fit.

PS- Rominl, the TRD is a strong thick STB, but the RMM is a strong thin, lightweight Forged aluminum STB. Though I suppose the one piece design may be stronger, it's debatable how much it matters. It's totally personal preference and whether you want to use the EDFC; both STB's are gonna do the job intended.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-19-02 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-19-02, 06:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RMMGS4

Rominl,
It's probably me yer quoting. Let's not take any liability here. Check the Tein website yourselves, there's a pdf file that says how to check if your Tein will retro-fit the EDFC.

Can't remember exactly what it said, but I think there may have been some adjustment ***** that were produced in the past that would not fit. Check the Tein specs and your coilovers before buying.

There are also specs on the stepper motors. According to those specs the RMM bar should fit.

PS- Rominl, the TRD is a strong thick STB, but the RMM is a strong thin, lightweight Forged aluminum STB. Though I suppose the one piece design may be stronger, it's debatable how much it matters. It's totally personal preference and whether you want to use the EDFC; both STB's are gonna do the job intended.
definitely rmmgs4, i also think the stb is more of a look than ndoing the real thing, unless you bring your car to auto cross every week. persnoally i am not a big fan of chrome (i have some very weird taste of my own) that's why i don't really feel for the rmm. then i figure i need something for the engine bay, and then our dearest steve came up with the cheap price on the trd stb that morning, so i was like argh, screw it