Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F Sport Springs on '06 IS350 (With Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 06:49 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice convert! It is almost impossible to maintain (let alone improve) the ride quality while the ride height is reduced. These are two physically opposing characteristics. Lowered car needs shorter suspension travel, otherwise the underside will hit the ground every time you go over bumps, potholes and bridges. And that means the shock+spring must be stiffer. What a good set of coilover can give is the adjustability of the ride height (front-rear, left-right) and the shock damping force. You can get near Lexus stock smooth ride but you will never achieve 100% the same.
Old 04-08-13, 03:04 AM
SirKnight
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thus what brings me back to the O.P.'s original findings with the F-sport springs. His photos of his car looks like it has dropped the car to a very nice height (much nicer then stock) and he claims the ride quality has not changed at all. Of course his IS is not a convert but if I can get close to the same results with my 2011 IS350C with the F-sport springs and still have my same ride comfort then I would be very happy.

Wish I could find someone on the forum that has put the F-Sport springs on a convert that has some before and after pictures.
Old 04-08-13, 05:46 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are willing to spend 1k, I would go with the bc racing coilovers. I recently installed them on my is350. The ride is great and I have the ability to adjust the height exactly as I want. They have dampening adjustments as well to get the ride to your individual liking and they use a linear spring. The negative on the f-sport spring is that it is a progressive type spring, which can create a different ride compared to the stock linear springs, and of course you will have zero adjustability.
Old 04-08-13, 06:16 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SirKnight
Thus what brings me back to the O.P.'s original findings with the F-sport springs. His photos of his car looks like it has dropped the car to a very nice height (much nicer then stock) and he claims the ride quality has not changed at all. Of course his IS is not a convert but if I can get close to the same results with my 2011 IS350C with the F-sport springs and still have my same ride comfort then I would be very happy.

Wish I could find someone on the forum that has put the F-Sport springs on a convert that has some before and after pictures.
I found some for you. They are "after" pics. Couldn't find "before" pics.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-thread-8.html

(Search "Official FSPORT ISx50 Thread" It is on page8 just in case the link doesn't work)
Old 04-09-13, 03:46 PM
SirKnight
Rookie

Thumbs up Perfect!

Originally Posted by SCWB
I found some for you. They are "after" pics. Couldn't find "before" pics.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-thread-8.html

(Search "Official FSPORT ISx50 Thread" It is on page8 just in case the link doesn't work)
Thanks for the link! That is the exact height I was looking for on my IS. I will shot him and P.M. and see if the ride quality changed any.
Old 04-09-13, 06:39 PM
SirKnight
Rookie

Post To old for to low....

Originally Posted by scatpak
If you are willing to spend 1k, I would go with the bc racing coilovers. I recently installed them on my is350. The ride is great and I have the ability to adjust the height exactly as I want. They have dampening adjustments as well to get the ride to your individual liking and they use a linear spring. The negative on the f-sport spring is that it is a progressive type spring, which can create a different ride compared to the stock linear springs, and of course you will have zero adjustability.
Money is not in question. I am more concerned about the threads I have read on this forum about "my alignment is all out of whack after installing coil-overs". And then there is the question of warranty issues. Since my IS350C has bumper to bumper for almost 2 more years and I think I might extend it another 2 years, if I install OEM F-Sport springs then I am still good to go on that bumper to bumper without them hassling me at the Lexus dealer.

That and I am an old man with one foot in the grave so I do not need my @$$ riding on the ground anymore.... heck it was getting hard for me to get out of my SL55 AMG before I traded it in on the Lex!!!
Old 04-09-13, 08:13 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Smile

Money is not in question. I am more concerned about the threads I have read on this forum about "my alignment is all out of whack after installing coil-overs". And then there is the question of warranty issues. Since my IS350C has bumper to bumper for almost 2 more years and I think I might extend it another 2 years, if I install OEM F-Sport springs then I am still good to go on that bumper to bumper without them hassling me at the Lexus dealer.

That and I am an old man with one foot in the grave so I do not need my @$$ riding on the ground anymore.... heck it was getting hard for me to get out of my SL55 AMG before I traded it in on the Lex!!!
Remember with the adjustable coilover you can adjust the height to where you want. You can leave it at stock height if you want, or you could lower it to f-sport spring height, or even lower if you wish. That is the advantage of that type of suspension. You would not have alignment issues unless you lowered it substantially lower than f-sport spring height. My main objection to the f-sport spring would be ride quality. Many have posted in this forum about a noticeable ride difference after installing them due to their progressive rate. The warranty on any other part would not be affected by using adjustable coilovers. Continue to research until you are comfortable and enjoy which ever you choose.

Last edited by mike33; 04-10-13 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-10-13, 08:38 AM
SirKnight
Rookie

Remember with the adjustable coilover you can adjust the height to where you want. You can leave it at stock height if you want, or you could lower it to f-sport spring height, or even lower if you wish. That is the advantage of that type of suspension. You would not have alignment issues unless you lowered it substantially lower than f-sport spring height. My main objective to the f-sport spring would be ride quality. Many have posted in this forum about a noticeable ride difference after installing them due to their progressive rate. The warranty on any other part would not be affected by using adjustable coilovers. Continue to research until you are comfortable and enjoy which ever you choose.
That is my main concern as I don't want the ride to get harsh. If I can not lower it a little and leave the same ride comfort then I will just leave it at the stock ride height.
Old 04-10-13, 08:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember with the adjustable coilover you can adjust the height to where you want. You can leave it at stock height if you want, or you could lower it to f-sport spring height, or even lower if you wish. That is the advantage of that type of suspension. You would not have alignment issues unless you lowered it substantially lower than f-sport spring height. My main objective to the f-sport spring would be ride quality. Many have posted in this forum about a noticeable ride difference after installing them due to their progressive rate. The warranty on any other part would not be affected by using adjustable coilovers. Continue to research until you are comfortable and enjoy which ever you choose.
That is my main concern as I don't want the ride to get harsh. If I can not lower it a little and leave the same ride comfort then I will just leave it at the stock ride height.
The IS has "allignment issues" from factory, as it comes already with slight negative camber (if Im not mistaken)

It seems you want a mild - medium drop, which springs would do, but your stuck at however the ride is with springs. Coilovers let you adjust the ride feel to however soft or stiff you want it, plus you can adjust the height. With springs, your stuck with the ride height and if the ride is rough, theres nothing you can do. Yes you can add shocks to help with the ride, but thats more than the cost of coilovers. The adjustability of both height and ride is what makes coils superior to springs + shocks combo, and in most cases is also cheaper
Old 04-10-13, 08:54 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

For the record, Im tucking tire in the front and rear with 20s and I have Megan EZ coils set at the stiffest setting and the ride feels great to me
Old 04-10-13, 04:56 PM
SirKnight
Rookie

Post Smoother the better.

I like your Build Thread Bob! Looks like you put a lot of work (and money) into your Lex.

So would you say your car is just as smooth as it was when it was stock?

I live is S.E. PA so the roads around here really suck... and of course the development I live in has the worst of the roads in my area so I really want and need to keep the current ride smoothness.
Old 04-10-13, 05:13 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

I like your Build Thread Bob! Looks like you put a lot of work (and money) into your Lex.

So would you say your car is just as smooth as it was when it was stock?

I live is S.E. PA so the roads around here really suck... and of course the development I live in has the worst of the roads in my area so I really want and need to keep the current ride smoothness.
Thank you sir

To me personally, the ride is great. I dont know if I can say its the same as stock (I honestly dont remember ) but its not rough at all. I do rub on dips in the road but that due to how low I am.

Since you want a mild drop, you should be good in regards to ride comfort. I would suggest getting BC racing coils since they are 30 way adjustable compared to the Megan EZs that I have that are only 15 way adjustable.

The only reason I suggest that is because comfort seems to be your priority so the BCs should let you adjust the ride feel exactly as want, more so than the EZs
Old 04-10-13, 06:36 PM
SirKnight
Rookie

Question BC's it is then...

Originally Posted by bob4256
Thank you sir

To me personally, the ride is great. I dont know if I can say its the same as stock (I honestly dont remember ) but its not rough at all. I do rub on dips in the road but that due to how low I am.

Since you want a mild drop, you should be good in regards to ride comfort. I would suggest getting BC racing coils since they are 30 way adjustable compared to the Megan EZs that I have that are only 15 way adjustable.

The only reason I suggest that is because comfort seems to be your priority so the BCs should let you adjust the ride feel exactly as want, more so than the EZs
So I take it this is the exact model I want:
http://www.circuitmotorsports.net/bc.../i-532673.aspx

Is this the best place/price to purchase from?
Old 04-11-13, 05:01 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

So I take it this is the exact model I want:
http://www.circuitmotorsports.net/bc.../i-532673.aspx

Is this the best place/price to purchase from?
Just noticed you have a ISC.

Check out the vendor section. Our vendors normally give us the best pricing.

Make sure you mention that you have a ISC so they get you the correct model.