Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Questions before I replace stock struts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 09:49 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions before I replace stock struts...

I have a 92 SC with about 94K on the odometer. The car tracks straight, stearing is solid (new rack/pinion about a year ago), nothing loose, etc. I have stock 16" rims and new Hankook V12 tires. The car is all stock.

Now, a few reasons I think I need new struts:
1) I can push the car down very easily, with a few things in the trunk, the car rides much lower in back
2) There are noises, some popping, some creaking noises as I go over bumps, especially first thing in the mornings and when it is cold out
3) There seems to be a quite a bit of body roll in the corners
4) With 2 passengers, my 25 pound daughter and a full trunk, I felt the car bottom out over a highway bump
5) The car doesn't ride very smooth, even with just me, I it seems like I can feel ever bump in the pavement.

Before I spend $300 on some Tokico shocks, maybe some KYB, could it be any bushings? As I said, the suspension feels solid, nothing loose. Also, which are stiffer/smoother, Tokico or KYB?
Old 01-07-12, 06:52 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Bump....anyone?
Old 01-07-12, 08:34 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Bad bushings are very common in these cars esp the lower control arms and Tokico is far better than KYB in terms of the stock shocks also I would get Tanabe nf210 lowering springs if I were you so then you know for 100% sure the shock/spring combo is good and the drop is tiny as most people do not even know the car is lowered just by looking .
Old 01-08-12, 05:26 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

I had my lower control arm bushings changed when I had the new rack and pinion put on my car and they aligned it. The noise doesn't come through the steering wheel in any form. All the popping and creaking happens over bumps in the road, uneven road, etc. The difference after the rack and pinion and bushings was night and day, the car drives like a new car and feels solid. Its just those noises and the other symptoms I mentioned earlier.

I don't want to lower the car, so I think I'll just put some Tokico shocks on the stock springs. I just need to find out what a local friend will charge to install the Tokico's.
Old 01-08-12, 06:36 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

2 things often over looked are the rear diff bushings and the trans mount as both can be tough to diagnose but if your springs are sagging then it does no good to replace the shocks if you overlook the springs.
Old 01-08-12, 07:01 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Never had kybs, but I recomend tokicos all the way. Had them before and the ride quality is great! Being a 92 Xpsi is right, I would replace springs as well, knowing you have some stuff in the trunk that will definately make your spings sag over time, and bottom out your stock shocks too
JMO

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 01-08-12 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-08-12, 11:13 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a combination of blown shocks and sagging springs (to me). Check ALL bushings, including swaybar mounts.

Does the car bounce excessively after going over something such as a speedhump?
Old 01-09-12, 08:53 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

I replaced my transmission mount when I had excessive cabin noise. I replaced it about 8 months ago.

I bought my 92 for $1500 with 87500 on the odometer. It needed some TLC and I gave it what it needed, now it is my daily driver now for work.

The car does not bounce excessively after going over speedbumps or speedhumps. It is just very easy to push down the rear end, so with little weight in the back, the car is noticably lower in the back.

I will check ALL the bushings and swaybar mounts as well.

Any suggestion on springs? I DO NOT want to lower the car, I want to keep it stock everything. Thanks!
Old 01-09-12, 10:35 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car had totally blown shocks in front and the rears were worn. The car made all sorts of terrible noises when going over bumps. I put Tokicos on and there is a huge improvement. The car still has a very soft spring rate that makes it mushy in the turns, and it is lower in the rear. All SCs on stock springs are lower in the rear. At least all the ones I have seen.
Old 04-25-12, 04:33 PM
mcannaday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with mine. The rear passenger would make terrible clunking noises when going over bumps, and the bumps were definitely more noticed. When pushing down on the rear the passenger side would be very mushy and bottom out. Had oil leaking all over the place. Turns out the strut was bottoming out, replaced with a new gabriel (wouldnt have chosen, but it was a quick fix) and the clunking has ceased.