Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What do you think this might be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 08:43 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you think this might be?

Whats up CL

Recently my car has developed something I should be concerned about. I need you guys expertise and advice.

It's not easy to explain but it happens when I put the car in reverse.
Sounds like two loud clicks/clunks go off, one behind each wheel when I am in reverse and twisting the wheel. Once I come to a stop and put the car back in drive, as I start turning the wheel astraight it's makes the same click/clunk sound, like it releases the pressure on something that "loaded" when I turned the steering wheel in reverse. Won't do it again till the next time I park or need to bust a three point u-turn.

Any ideas? If you need to ask me anything to bring light to the situation please do so

Last edited by Vroomin350; 01-16-12 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-15-12, 09:29 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front or rear wheels?
Old 01-15-12, 09:38 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Front wheels
Old 01-16-12, 04:35 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

This has happened to me before too. I think its the brakes because the sound went away after new pads were installed. If it keeps happening, id take it to the dealership you got it from and have them check it. I assume you still have warranty?
Old 01-16-12, 06:07 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

No I dont

I am in need of brakes but what I hear pop LOUD. It almost feels like pressure builds on the steering arms and then pops once their straightened back out.
Old 01-16-12, 07:32 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What you first describe does sound like pads moving in the caliper. But your last description of pressure building doesnt sound like brake pads.
I see you have Megan EZ coilovers. I wonder if its a issue with the spring building with pressure as you are turning the wheel then popping into place. When I had my evo, guys on evolutionm.net were having these problems when installing springs and tightening the upper spring perch bolt to tight (spring/stock shocks, not coilovers). Did you mess with the preload of the coilovers? Maybe to tight causing the spring to bind and release the pressure giving you the loud pop.

Last edited by is150; 01-16-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-16-12, 07:54 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

very good point, I too was worried about that but then thinking back on it this started even before installing the coilovers, when I was on springs.

It's weird man, the reason I dont chalk it up to the pads is because the noise doesnt happen when I am braking at all.

Let me see if I could somehow explain it a little better...

1. I sit in my car.
2. Put it in drive
3. As I start to turn (to exit my parking spot) I hear CLACK! behind each wheel....

I can almost compare it to a gun's hammer. Feels like once I do a full turn I set the hammer back, and once I start correcting the steering wheel the hammer drops and CLACK! lol
Old 01-16-12, 09:50 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Nothing is catching on your tires? Since you had to do some fender mods I'm wondering if maybe something is being pulled back by your tires then release and you hear that sound. Just a shot in the dark since its hard to go off just a description haha. Cars will always rub the front liners worse in reverse.
Old 01-16-12, 10:02 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

I'll check but I doubt it, the sound you hear is definitely mechanical, does anyone know what suspension components might go bad from being dropped?
Old 01-16-12, 10:13 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

If you fly me to Florida I'll fix it for ya haha
Old 01-16-12, 10:27 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Dude ill fly you to Florida anyday let me know, and BTW, once your here, cars who?
Old 01-16-12, 11:36 AM
birador
Lead Lap

my opinion is the brake pads,its what our brake component made,suspended of what they call so every time you make a first reverse and put brake on it will sound and if you put it drive and put brake it will sound again but as soon as you continue driving,it will disappear unless you make reverse and apply brake again,its not safety issue as per the tech that i talked to but its annoying and the best solution is to replace the pads and the kits,there's some thread already on this that they put some grease on the part that clunk but its only temporary..again this imo.
Old 01-16-12, 04:50 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably going to have to jack the car up and start investigating. Start by trying to turn the spring and see if it binding up or there is dirt and grime. Some fixes were by cleaning a greasing the upper and lower spring seats. Other fixes were new upper top hats from the manufacturer that didnt uses cheap plastics. The cheap plastics didnt allow the springs to move freely and would bind up. last thing to check is the sway bar. Some guys experienced the problem with loose endlinks.
If you find a fix be sure to post it up. Good luck
Old 01-16-12, 05:02 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bro make a vid of it making the noise.
Old 01-16-12, 06:27 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys nothing can be ruled out just yet. Birador if you could find that thread that would be great I couldn't.
I am in the process of trying to put a video together.

Quick Reply: What do you think this might be?