Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Those of you with steering or ride issues, Replace the rack bushings FIRST

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 02:30 PM
1jztts
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those of you with steering or ride issues, Replace the rack bushings FIRST

I've been chasing this problem for the last few months. My car would wander all over the road, I even got pulled over once at 2am because the cop thought I was drunk.
My entire front end felt loose going over bumps, steering was numb and unresponsive.
I started with brand new LCA, the old ones were still in decent shape, ball joints were tight, bushings werent torn or broken.
The new arms improved the handling a little bit but the ride was still garbage, so I went with new coilovers next. The old shocks were leaking a little bit so I thought what the hell.
With the new coils in it still didn't fix my problem so I decided to look into the rack bushings.
It was the best $60 I've ever spent, the old ones had chunks of rubber missing and the car has only done 90k miles
Now the car drives straight as an arrow and rides super smooth.

If your car has these issues always start with the cheapest replacement first, I probably could've saved myself some money on the arms since they didnt really need replacing.
The following users liked this post:
lexus7217 (12-10-17)
Old 02-01-12, 02:37 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

all my suspension seems tight i.e. bushings and balljoints. but when i hit a bump the steering wheel jerks to one side. tracks straight, drives straight. i was gonna replace my rack bushings to try to remedy the problem, from this sounds like this is exactly what i need to do.
Old 02-01-12, 02:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

which brand did you get and where did you order?
Old 02-01-12, 03:39 PM
1jztts
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
which brand did you get and where did you order?
Daizen from TM engineering.
Old 02-01-12, 03:40 PM
1jztts
Driver

Originally Posted by poorsupra
all my suspension seems tight i.e. bushings and balljoints. but when i hit a bump the steering wheel jerks to one side. tracks straight, drives straight. i was gonna replace my rack bushings to try to remedy the problem, from this sounds like this is exactly what i need to do.
I would change them....for $39.99 + shipping and 30-34mins of you time I dont see why not
Old 02-01-12, 04:06 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

yeah i maay just try to get some measurements and turn some down on a lathe outta some alum stock i have.
Old 02-01-12, 05:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i keep hearing good things about this and i guess its about time i do mines although Im hesitant to order from TM engineering from all the bad reviews
Old 02-01-12, 05:40 PM
1jztts
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
i keep hearing good things about this and i guess its about time i do mines although Im hesitant to order from TM engineering from all the bad reviews
you can also get solid aluminum ones from driftmotion
Old 02-01-12, 09:27 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I bought the aluminum ones from Driftmotion. Before, my car was almost impossible to drive and my steering wheel had to be turned to the right just for me to stay straight. If I hit a bump, the car would be all over the place.

My friend put on my new bushings and it hasn't been much better. I never got an alignment after he put on the bushings though.
Old 02-01-12, 09:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1jztts
Daizen from TM engineering.
You mentioned in your first post that the ride is much smoother now. I was always under the impression Dazien bushings made the car vibrate more (although handle better) due to them being polyurethane instead of rubber..?
Old 02-01-12, 09:56 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

kinda a stupid question, would bad rack bushings cause the rear tires to wear? i also had a bent traction rod(replaced). i just got new kumhos for the rear and dont want them to get munched. getting an alignment this weekend.
Old 02-02-12, 04:40 PM
JustChill
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How long did it take u to get Ur bushings from tm? I've heard the take forever. I need to order some ASAP
Old 02-03-12, 08:19 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repalced my steering rack bushings yesterday on my 97 SC400. The original ones looked new but I'm glad I did it anyway.

I used the Ricochet Polyurethane Technologies bushings found on a popular auction site. I didn't have any issues and they fit perfectly. I ordered them on Monday and they arrived that following Wednesday!
Old 02-03-12, 01:42 PM
1jztts
Driver

Originally Posted by JustChill
How long did it take u to get Ur bushings from tm? I've heard the take forever. I need to order some ASAP
i got them in 2 days
Old 02-06-12, 11:12 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced the stock bushings with the Daizens over the weekend. Ordered them from TM Engineering, shipping took less than a week, and this was by far, the easiest steering rack bushing replacement I have done on ANY car, literally took more time cleaning the bolts and washers than the actual install. I have not had a chance to drive the car with them, but considering my old bushings were almost non-existent, I am assuming the steering feel will be greatly improved.

Out with the old

In with the new

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: Those of you with steering or ride issues, Replace the rack bushings FIRST