Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

which lower ball joints to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 01:42 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

MOOG is only making replicas of OEM. They are no stronger or more reliable than OEM. Stick with what came with the car. I've learned my lesson with this car. The more I learn about it, the more I know that Lexus is much happier with the parts it was born with.
Old 02-07-12, 01:44 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1stGenGuY
+1 i def agree with this and 99GS3, moog makes quality products and they last a lot longer than most OEM parts, at least in my experience.
Yea, when it comes to a Chevy or a Honda. Which none of us are driving.
Old 02-09-12, 05:34 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by repugnante
Yea, when it comes to a Chevy or a Honda. Which none of us are driving.
So let me understand your logic....we can drive a car that is manufactured in Japan, but God forbids us putting a quality aftermarket part that's also manufactured in Japan right? And btw, Hondas have a great reputation for durability, especially the 90-97 Accords. Those things were built like tanks...that's why you still see so many of them on the road.
Old 02-09-12, 09:55 AM
repugnante
Instructor

^ my logic is, you pay a price for a luxury vehicle not just for its name, but the time and the parts that were put into. The quality exceeds most, which is why it is in a different class. The OEM that the car was supplied with, is of very good quality otherwise, they would'nt have used it on such a high end vehicle. I have three friends whose Honda's failed on them for different reasons. Usually because of the tranny. Honda's are reliable, parts are much cheaper. Quality, but still much cheaper
Old 02-09-12, 11:48 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

^ my logic is, you pay a price for a luxury vehicle not just for its name, but the time and the parts that were put into. The quality exceeds most, which is why it is in a different class. The OEM that the car was supplied with, is of very good quality otherwise, they would'nt have used it on such a high end vehicle. I have three friends whose Honda's failed on them for different reasons. Usually because of the tranny. Honda's are reliable, parts are much cheaper. Quality, but still much cheaper
This is typically true for OEM parts but for this car, the lbj's are the only weak spot with this model. I mean, they have had problems with lbj's on GS models since 1993. As a previous poster pointed out, you are more likely to see a high end GS on the side of the road with a broken lbj vs. any other car on the road.

As far as the Honda, the tranny is the only weak spot on the Accords...starting in 1998 after they changed manufacturers. I can almost guarantee your friend's car was a 98+ model. My sister has a 05 Coupe and I told her to make sure she changed the fluid at exactly 30k or less.
Old 02-09-12, 11:57 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
This is typically true for OEM parts but for this car, the lbj's are the only weak spot with this model. I mean, they have had problems with lbj's on GS models since 1993. As a previous poster pointed out, you are more likely to see a high end GS on the side of the road with a broken lbj vs. any other car on the road.

As far as the Honda, the tranny is the only weak spot on the Accords...starting in 1998 after they changed manufacturers. I can almost guarantee your friend's car was a 98+ model. My sister has a 05 Coupe and I told her to make sure she changed the fluid at exactly 30k or less.
No doubt, the lbj's was a design flaw by Lexus. But someone researched and found out that they are now only supplying the 01+ versions. If you notice, the majority if not all of the threads on lbj failure were on 98-00 models. Lexus figured the issue out and strengthened the joint.

If Nissan, Honda or Toyota had flaws like that, you think they would revise the part? Nope. They would keep taking your money and tell you that its a "wear item". That's the difference, to me.
Old 02-09-12, 12:49 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

No doubt, the lbj's was a design flaw by Lexus. But someone researched and found out that they are now only supplying the 01+ versions. If you notice, the majority if not all of the threads on lbj failure were on 98-00 models. Lexus figured the issue out and strengthened the joint. If Nissan, Honda or Toyota had flaws like that, you think they would revise the part? Nope. They would keep taking your money and tell you that its a "wear item". That's the difference, to me.
I honestly think that's hearsay or a rumor. I've asked multiple times for someone to prove that point and no one can provide a link/document from Lexus. The reason why I asked that is because I didn't want to repeat something without facts backing it. A lot of people on here say that, but no document to prove it (atleast I haven't seen it). I have never in all of my research found any document to where Lexus owned to the lbj problem on the 2nd Gen and made a newer designed lbj. No email, no Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), no nothing. If you have that information, please post it so I can educate myself. Until then, I can't state that the 01+ lbj's are more reliable or Lexus redesigned them. Now I have read from a recent post that someone bought a OEM lbj and it broke in 2 yrs (01+ version) which is quite awful. I was actually going to buy the OEM joints until reading that. Then I went with Moog due to their reliability.
Old 02-09-12, 12:53 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

No doubt, the lbj's was a design flaw by Lexus. But someone researched and found out that they are now only supplying the 01+ versions. If you notice, the majority if not all of the threads on lbj failure were on 98-00 models. Lexus figured the issue out and strengthened the joint.

If Nissan, Honda or Toyota had flaws like that, you think they would revise the part? Nope. They would keep taking your money and tell you that its a "wear item". That's the difference, to me.
I can't speak for Honda because I never owned one, but with Nissan...yes, they will have a immediate recall and you get your car fixed for a part that has caused multiple issues. I know this for a fact because I've owned multiples Infiniti cars during my life time and took advantage of the recalls. I'm sure you know this, but Toyota is Lexus lol.
Old 02-09-12, 01:04 PM
1GSLuVeR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So let me understand your logic....we can drive a car that is manufactured in Japan, but God forbids us putting a quality aftermarket part that's also manufactured in Japan right? And btw, Hondas have a great reputation for durability, especially the 90-97 Accords. Those things were built like tanks...that's why you still see so many of them on the road.
lol i was just going to leave it alone since it isnt worth debating the subject. The guy asked a question and i gave my opinion. Also MOOG parts are made with better quality for some areas of the suspension whether or not the car is "luxury", the point being made about all those particular cars mentioned being manufactured in japan hit the nail right on the head. Either way, god bless and have a good day.
Old 02-09-12, 01:30 PM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to break it to you but you drive a Toyota!!! It is still just a car!!! I get a kick out of you OEM types. As long as you like spending your money go ahead!

FYI my Infiniti's have treated me better then my Lexus.

I drive a honda, Infiniti, and my Lex is my work car.

Last edited by 850Lexus; 02-09-12 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 01:46 PM
repugnante
Instructor

I can't speak for Honda because I never owned one, but with Nissan...yes, they will have a immediate recall and you get your car fixed for a part that has caused multiple issues. I know this for a fact because I've owned multiples Infiniti cars during my life time and took advantage of the recalls. I'm sure you know this, but Toyota is Lexus lol.
I'm a Nissan/Infiniti guy myself. And with Nissan, they will recall, repair your problem until you come back with another one. My own experience
Old 02-09-12, 01:47 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1stGenGuY
lol i was just going to leave it alone since it isnt worth debating the subject. The guy asked a question and i gave my opinion. Also MOOG parts are made with better quality for some areas of the suspension whether or not the car is "luxury", the point being made about all those particular cars mentioned being manufactured in japan hit the nail right on the head. Either way, god bless and have a good day.
Had Moog ball joints on my Skyline R33, Sentra Se-R and 96 300ZX. None of them lasted more than a year. Greaseable ones at that
Old 02-09-12, 01:48 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 02-09-12, 01:50 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
Hate to break it to you but you drive a Toyota!!!

You're a funny dude. I'm well aware of this....

I guess you tell folks that's what you drive when they ask what kind of car you drive....

just sayin
Old 02-13-12, 10:12 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LBJs are definitely a weak part on this car. As far as I know they have failed on 98-00 cars but also on 01+ cars. I just figure there are more 98-00 cars around here.

Some people have gone with Moog and had to replace them within a year. Others have been very happy with them.

As for me, I bought a pair of LBJs on eBay. I have had them for about 2 years and 20k miles. No problems whatsoever. I was just short on cash at the time. I will change them out for OEMs in the next 10k miles, just for piece of mind.

Bottom line is that all brands of LBJs have failed at one moment. On this car they will break, it's just a matter of time. If you're lowered, I'd stick with OEM. If not, Moog should do.

Quick Reply: which lower ball joints to buy?