Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sc400 w/ Tein CS Coilovers! How can i go lower????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 11:20 PM
lexiSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sc400 w/ Tein CS Coilovers! How can i go lower????

Got a 94 sc400..... Just installed Tein CS Coilovers and installed them! I maxed out all of them all around. Like how the FRONT seats, BUT not the rear, im basically the same in the rear i was when i had stock system with cut coils! Id like to go (1 1/2) inch n half more lower! Is there a way that i can go lower in the rear? cut coils off? take off something anything! I heard i can take off a collar and will drop me half inch! HELP!

Coilovers i got!

Rear maxed out!

Last edited by lexiSC4; 02-07-12 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 11:29 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

get different coilovers.
Old 02-06-12, 11:47 PM
lexiSC4
Driver

Trying to avoid that!
Old 02-07-12, 12:05 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

and theyre jza80 coils so they should go lower; im not sure what the deal is
Old 02-07-12, 12:10 AM
lust
Driver School Candidate

Get bigger wheels.
Old 02-07-12, 12:34 AM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

you can try to get shorter springs, swift makes some.
Old 02-07-12, 12:58 AM
Nickmyo
Driver

had the same problem with my tanabe sustec pro
Old 02-07-12, 01:39 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lust
Get bigger wheels.
actually smaller wheels would make him sit lower. and shorter springs... ive never even considered that. speaking of which do you have any other pics of that blue car? i remember it sitting lower than that? maybe he had smaller wheels and bigger tires?
Old 02-07-12, 02:47 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tein CS's are designed to provide luxurious and comfortable ride while achieving sporty look by moderately lowering ride height. The maximum/lowest ride height is where suspension can function properly to achieve that goal. In other words, you've chosen wrong coilovers for your desired application. Still, do not do anything radical to ruin a nice set of suspension, please!

Sell the Tein CS and buy another set of coilovers. And remember to do some homework next time you buy them.
Old 02-07-12, 04:10 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uras300
Tein CS's are designed to provide luxurious and comfortable ride while achieving sporty look by moderately lowering ride height. The maximum/lowest ride height is where suspension can function properly to achieve that goal. In other words, you've chosen wrong coilovers for your desired application. Still, do not do anything radical to ruin a nice set of suspension, please!

Sell the Tein CS and buy another set of coilovers. And remember to do some homework next time you buy them.
damn. im no noob to coilovers and even i didnt know this. i figured they were directed towards the comfort luxury group and i instantly thought to myself : vip = slammed = must be ultra low. thanks for the insight. i just learned a thing or two myself also! whats your input on alternative tein springs?
Old 02-07-12, 09:22 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Only option I can think of would be to get a shorter spring and then maybe a helper spring to keep the spring pre-load in check if the replacement spring's length is not long enough to seat on the upper and lower perches when the damper is fully extended.

The CS coilovers will use 65mm I.D. "Standard" springs front and rear. Part numbers for the supplied springs are, Front: SM100-01250 Rear: SK060-01300

So now go to Teins site. http://www.tein.com/products/standar...rice_list.html Find those part numbers on that list, and then choose a spring to the left of those part numbers. So for example if you want to lower the rear more, find the original rear spring (SK060-01300) which is 11.8 inches long, look to the left and you will see SM060-01250 which will have the exact same rate, but is only 9.8 inches long, or the SV060-01225 which is 8.9inches long, but same spring rate. Depending on the length of the new spring, you may need to get a 65mm I.D. helper spring to keep the main spring from flopping around when the damper is at full extension. Swift makes a great 65mmx60mm helper spring in a bunch of different rates.

Also, how do you like the Comfort Sports? Those were one of the coilovers I was really interested in.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-07-12, 09:34 AM
lust
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greens14
actually smaller wheels would make him sit lower. and shorter springs... ive never even considered that. speaking of which do you have any other pics of that blue car? i remember it sitting lower than that? maybe he had smaller wheels and bigger tires?
Hah i meant as in bigger wheels will eliminate wheel gap to give the illusion of being lower

So does he want to be lower to the ground? Or just want to fill the wheel gap?
Old 02-07-12, 09:51 AM
lexiSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by greens14
He had 18s with 245 35 tires..... I have 18s with 275 35 tires! Ill look for more pics of it!
Old 02-07-12, 09:56 AM
lexiSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by lust
Hah i meant as in bigger wheels will eliminate wheel gap to give the illusion of being lower

So does he want to be lower to the ground? Or just want to fill the wheel gap?
I wanna fill in the gap, but not buy getting bigger wheels or tires, so basically going lower to the ground will work for me!
Old 02-07-12, 10:02 AM
lexiSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by scoobySC3
Only option I can think of would be to get a shorter spring and then maybe a helper spring to keep the spring pre-load in check if the replacement spring's length is not long enough to seat on the upper and lower perches when the damper is fully extended.

The CS coilovers will use 65mm I.D. "Standard" springs front and rear. Part numbers for the supplied springs are, Front: SM100-01250 Rear: SK060-01300

So now go to Teins site. http://www.tein.com/products/standar...rice_list.html Find those part numbers on that list, and then choose a spring to the left of those part numbers. So for example if you want to lower the rear more, find the original rear spring (SK060-01300) which is 11.8 inches long, look to the left and you will see SM060-01250 which will have the exact same rate, but is only 9.8 inches long, or the SV060-01225 which is 8.9inches long, but same spring rate. Depending on the length of the new spring, you may need to get a 65mm I.D. helper spring to keep the main spring from flopping around when the damper is at full extension. Swift makes a great 65mmx60mm helper spring in a bunch of different rates.

Also, how do you like the Comfort Sports? Those were one of the coilovers I was really interested in.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Rick
Wow this helps out alot!!!! Thanks! so now to to pick the SM060-01250 w/ 9.8 long? or the SV060-01225 w/ 8.9 long? Which one of these would i not have to get the 65mm ID helper spring? or will i have to get it no mattter what? whats the website for swift? so i can look into them...

I like them alot actually! This is the only problem im having is that im not low how i wanna be! But if i change the spring ill be even more happpy with them!!!

Quick Reply: Sc400 w/ Tein CS Coilovers! How can i go lower????