Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension of a Sportdesign

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 01:23 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension of a Sportdesign

I searched but couldn't find the answer. What is the so called "Euro-tuned" suspension that is advertised? In another words what is upgraded in the Sportdesign's suspension the shocks or struts?

If its the struts can I just upgrade the springs? I want something to close the gap but not drop it too much so that I could bottom out or have a chance of hitting parking stones. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 10-24-02, 01:27 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i firmly believe taht the sportdesign ahs the L-tuned(KYB made) shocks...lucky you..

you can get either Eibach, HR or JDM springs...

depends on how much you want to spend...L-tuned(~1") and HR(1.2")..JDM:1.5/1.2
Old 10-24-02, 10:20 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS4Will
i firmly believe taht the sportdesign ahs the L-tuned(KYB made) shocks...
*****, I think your right.......
Old 10-25-02, 02:05 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

toyota japan would not design and make another shocks just for the limited edition GS300...makes $$ sense..the L-tuned shocks are basically parts from european GS bins..hence, the low price
Old 10-25-02, 10:21 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I want to lower the car some but like I said I don't want to worry about hitting parking stones and scratching the car up or bottoming out. I saw someone was selling eibach's in the classifieds, if its still available should I jump on that?
Old 10-25-02, 11:13 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Your only going to get about an inch or so drop.. Tomorrow drive up to a parking block and look to see if you'll clear. And with bottoming out, I wounldn't worry about that too much.. I have about a 3" drop with a L-Sportline bodykit and I haven't bottomed out yet... But I can't clear those damn parking blocks or curbs.. You should see how much room I have from the curb to my car when I park, it's funny.....
Old 10-26-02, 02:24 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

from your description, i do not think eibach will be enough drop for you
Old 10-26-02, 11:48 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I checked it out...I got roughly 2.5" clearance between a parking stone and the plastic covering under the car...

Last edited by mdw131; 10-26-02 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 11:53 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Well, then I guess your in the market for some new springs... *****, what would you suggest for springs?? I'd say a JDM company, you'll get the best drop and now you know you have the clearance...
Old 10-29-02, 02:37 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Would I be able to install the springs myself or do I have to have a mechanic do it?

Any recommendations for springs Will or Sypher? I was thinking of these eibachs ? I want something moderate i think...Im not sure i want to have the suspension feel more taut or more OEM...
Old 10-29-02, 02:47 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

mdw...

have you installed the springs DIY before? also you would need a spring compressor....it cost me only $125+cost of align...to me, it was well worth the $$ spend

from what you described, eibach porbably will not be enough drop for you...i highly recommend JDM Espelir springs, 1.5/1.2" drop to give the car more aggressive look. plus, these springs have lower spring/damping rate than the eibach. though it cost more, but IMHO, def worth it.

basically you need to decide to if you want really moderate, or more drop to close the wheel gap.
Old 10-29-02, 02:55 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

just remember one thing.....when you have people in your car, your car will hit those parking blocks.......

2.5" is without anybody in the car.......even with L-tuned, I cannot have more than 3 people in my car without hitting those parking blocks. Now I have a TTE lip......cannot clear either way.
Old 10-30-02, 10:06 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

HR and Eibach aren't going to give you really more than an inch drop... Will you be satisfied with that?? Don't make the mistake of getting something to only want something else after you put it on.... Trust me, I know...... And if you got the money to spend go my route, get a set of coilovers.. That way you can have your car as high/low as you want it... You see just because the company thinks 1" drop is good doesn't mean that you'll be happy with it.... I know some people are selling Tein's in the Classified Forum....
Old 10-31-02, 05:59 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

I contemplating what to do to my car as its leased. It seems like a suspension upgrade is a lot bigger task then I thought. Right now I think I'll get HID's and I wanna go with some JDM wheels sooner(rather then later) for sure but I dont know what else is worth it....
Old 10-31-02, 10:34 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Well, since it's leased you have to be able to take the parts off just as easyily they were put on... Since it is a brand new car and you have it for a few years that is good at least you'll get your money's worth... Just a few suggestions, STB's are easy to install and take off, Sway Bars too, and also chasis braces... Those are part of your suspension, you'll notice the more solid feel of the car also with these... Just make sure that you stash all the parts that come off the car so when it's time for you to return it you have everything right at hand....

Quick Reply: Suspension of a Sportdesign