Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Bushing Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-12, 07:02 AM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Bushing Help

Morning Club!

So I have been trying to be patient but I can't wait any longer. My steering rack bushings are completly shot. There is soo much play in the steering that it is down right dangerous.

Two months ago I ordered poly replacements from company X. I have yet to recieve them or any word about when to expect them. I can't fault the company as they only sell the bushings, but I am to the point where I just want my steering precision back.

Where can I get a set of poly steering bushings?

Thanks guys!!

BTW I have already searched. Most of those links are pointless as most of the companys have changed what they sell
Old 02-29-12, 08:26 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Type in "sc300 steering rack bushings" on the popular auction site. I used the blue ones by Ricochet Polyurethane Technologies. Worked perfect.
Old 02-29-12, 05:20 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i wont say which company but i probably know what it is...

i just installed a set from Figs Engineering and driven on them for a few weeks and so far noticed a very noticeable improvement in steering feel. Its listed under a GS model on their website but fits the SC.
Old 02-29-12, 08:17 PM
SFrymyah
Driver

Why have you chosen poly over aluminum?
Old 03-05-12, 03:36 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Battle Version aluminum, best bet. Makes your steering solid and precise. Not even harsh at all, I have a set on my car and I daily drive. Plus think about it - it's your steering rack, it centers the car - why would you want some poly flex in there?
Old 03-05-12, 07:48 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on Figs. I personally asked Figs a few months back if he can do 1SC parts, and he came through like a gentleman. No homo.
Old 03-05-12, 08:29 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i got battle version's aluminum ones. they are awesome.!
Old 03-05-12, 11:04 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by k7q
i got battle version's aluminum ones. they are awesome.!
Yup... you can't beat $40 and 10 minutes to install... much better than OEM or poly.
Old 03-07-12, 02:40 AM
DealMkr
Rookie

Originally Posted by raine
Yup... you can't beat $40 and 10 minutes to install... much better than OEM or poly.
Seriously these things are dope....Not a hassle to install and they're not harsh like you would expect aluminum to be.
Old 03-07-12, 03:53 AM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok you guys convince me I will be ordering the battle version ones, my car steering wheel goes rigth or left depending on the slope of the road.
Old 03-07-12, 04:00 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayayin
ok you guys convince me I will be ordering the battle version ones, my car steering wheel goes rigth or left depending on the slope of the road.
You won't regret it
Old 03-07-12, 07:12 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In general aluminum bushings cause extra noise, vibration and harshness.

However, I didn't notice any increase with the battle versions. Your results may vary but it was truly one of the few mods with all benefits and no drawbacks.
Old 03-07-12, 01:22 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
In general aluminum bushings cause extra noise, vibration and harshness.

However, I didn't notice any increase with the battle versions. Your results may vary but it was truly one of the few mods with all benefits and no drawbacks.
True... I was worried about adding noise/vibration/harshness before I ordered my set, but a friend commented and said "it's a steering rack - why would you want it to have any movement with the OEM/poly ones?" so I went for the aluminum and sure enough - super crisp steering, super centered, no added noise, no vibration increase, etc.

I think the noise/vibration/harshness is more common when it comes to swapping out suspension/subframe bushings to aluminum.
Old 03-08-12, 06:01 PM
92lexi
Rookie

so this might be a noob question, ok it is.... when your replacing the bushing do you have to change the larger round on? or just the ones for the bolts? i was looking at the battle version kit and didnt see the 3rd bushing.
Old 03-08-12, 06:14 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92lexi
so this might be a noob question, ok it is.... when your replacing the bushing do you have to change the larger round on? or just the ones for the bolts? i was looking at the battle version kit and didnt see the 3rd bushing.
I suppose if you're super duper picky you could change the larger one with a fresh OEM piece, but you don't really have to unless it's toast, since 99% the steering play is from the lower 2 bushings... I didn't change mine, after 180k+ miles the large bushing still looked fine, but the OEM lowers had oval holes all stretched out (which is the cause of the rack moving around). If the large bushing looks ok, I wouldn't worry about it - just change out the 2 lower bushings to the BV aluminum ones, and it will make your steering rack nice and solid.

Quick Reply: Steering Bushing Help