Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strange pop/clunk while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 02:43 AM
xHypnofish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange pop/clunk while driving.

First some background info on the vehicle
1995 sc300
1jz-gte
w58 5speed
130k miles

I did some searching on this issue with no luck. If there is already a thread for this particular problem then I apologize, but please direct me to it

So this issue decided to pop up after the install of my stance coilovers a few days ago. I have checked and rechecked that all the bolts are tight relating to the installation of the coilovers.

I first noticed this problem after a few minutes of driving with the new suspension on. At first it was just a slight tapping sound coming from the front of the car. the faster you go the quieter, although more frequent, the sound becomes. As I slowed down to investigate this sound it became much louder and seemed to be coming from both the front and the rear of the car. The sound will alternate from front to back while off the gas but only occurs in the front when on the gas. It does not make any unusual sounds when going over bumps. I had some friends of mine roll the car in neutral and the sound seems to be coming from the center of the car in the front then back, then front and back, etc.

Upon inspection of the underside of the car there seems to be some rotational play in the drive shaft, although everyone i have spoken to says that some play is normal. Nothing is rubbing on the tires.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-12, 03:47 AM
fliaznguy
Rookie

I know that this response it's going to help but I too have Stance coilovers. I have never experienced the issue that you're having. However, I did have an associate of mine explain the same problem. It turns out that he didn't torque one of his wheels down tightly and it was just about to fall off...That being said, you mentioned that you are sure your bolts are tight and so I have no idea...I don't advise that you keep driving it regularly until you figure it out though.
Old 03-09-12, 09:00 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the guys above said, check you lug nuts and make sure they're tight. I had the same thing happen in my Tacoma but couldn't figure it out. My entire wheel eventually came off my truck while I was doing 30mph.
Another thing to check is your control arm bushings.
Best case scenario is that you have a rock wedged into the tread on one of your tires.
Old 03-09-12, 07:38 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

ill be going over everything again tomorrow morning. Ill see if i can get a video or something of the sound im hearing.

also thank you to whoever moved this to the proper section. I wasn't sure if it should go here or not.

Last edited by xHypnofish; 03-09-12 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 08:47 PM
HogHead
Driver School Candidate

Did you bust one of your endlinks to your swaybar while putting your coilovers on? My car makes a noise after installing my suspension but I busted an endlink while taking off the drivers side and just got a new one today. May be the noise.
Old 03-10-12, 08:04 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

1) You're now putting 2x the load on the suspension if you went lower, so more parts are going to become louder sounding - like end links from the sway bar.

2) Did you adjust the coils right? Tighten the lock collar back?
Old 03-10-12, 10:58 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
1) You're now putting 2x the load on the suspension if you went lower, so more parts are going to become louder sounding - like end links from the sway bar.

2) Did you adjust the coils right? Tighten the lock collar back?
Actually went higher. still lower than stock but not nearly as low as most around here. I couldn't drive it the way it was before with the roads around here.

All the collars are tight and the height is as close as i can get to even on each side on the back and front.

Im thinking it has something to do with the drive shaft or relating components. Its been cold here the last few days and im sick as hell so i haven't been able to look at it. i should be able to look at it tomorrow.
Old 03-11-12, 10:16 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately without seeing/hearing it we're all going to be make educated guesses. To me, if it's biasing based on throttle (i.e. load on the front/back based on loading up of suspension) it seems that it could be the end links popping. Did you check everything while you were putting them on? Have you gotten an alignment? These cars needs to be "bounced" a few times before tightening fully to spec due to the way the bushings ride in the control arm.

Can you make a video of the noise? I highly suggest borrowing a friends Go Pro and aiming the camera at each wheel, you would be amazed at what you can figure out.
Old 03-11-12, 03:43 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

Originally Posted by TechGreek
Unfortunately without seeing/hearing it we're all going to be make educated guesses. To me, if it's biasing based on throttle (i.e. load on the front/back based on loading up of suspension) it seems that it could be the end links popping. Did you check everything while you were putting them on? Have you gotten an alignment? These cars needs to be "bounced" a few times before tightening fully to spec due to the way the bushings ride in the control arm.

Can you make a video of the noise? I highly suggest borrowing a friends Go Pro and aiming the camera at each wheel, you would be amazed at what you can figure out.
I have not gotten an alignment yet. it really does not sound like the noise is coming from the edges of the car. it sounds like it centered. I will see if i can get a vid today of the sound.

On another note. when i rotate one of my wheels i can hear a clunk that really sounds like its coming from the diff. im looking into that now.
Old 03-15-12, 08:41 PM
2jzsc4
Driver School Candidate

You may want to make sure you sat the springs in the perches properly, and that they are not bound up.