Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Neeed a little explaining! [brake fluid dripping from resevoir after pad/rotor swap]

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 04:24 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neeed a little explaining! [brake fluid dripping from resevoir after pad/rotor swap]

today i put in my new rotors and brakes. after i was done i pumped the brake a few time before i went for a test drive. turned out brake fluid was leaking from the tank. i wiped it down went for another test drive came back and it wasnt leaking anymore. nothing serious right???
Old 03-10-12, 05:06 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

What tank do you speak of? Do you mean the brake fluid reservoir? Was the lid off?
Old 03-10-12, 05:12 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you did your brakes you most likely compressed the brake caliper piston so that you can reinsert the new pads. When you do this, the fluid that was occupying the space returns to the reservoir and cause it to spill over.
Old 03-10-12, 05:30 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

yes the resevior. maybe it was kinda full to began with so all that pressure probably caused it. never changed the fluid since i got the car so hopefully its ok. and first time this happen to me changing brakes. weird
Old 03-10-12, 08:02 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

Yeah, that happened to me too after the dealership overfilled the rez after the master cyl "cup" recall. Just take some out until it is at the full line.
Old 10-15-12, 04:44 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

Default 93 ls400 brake fluid resevoir leak

How does the brake fluid resevoir connect to the master cylinder ?? The resevoir appears to have two inlets/outlets, one in front and one at back of resevoir (on the bottom of course) that connects it to the master cylinder. The resevoir is slightly loose, and leaks a small amount of fluid at each connection. It also appears to have O-rings at the connections, but I cannot tell what keeps the resevoir connected to the master cylinder... is it a press fit ??? I do not see any type of bolts/screws to keep the resevoir from moving.. Am I overlooking the obvious ??? I need to tighten the resevoir to the master cylinder to stop this leak...

please help..
Old 10-15-12, 07:13 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be careful, brake fluid is murder on paint.
Old 10-16-12, 07:51 AM
zaero
Driver School Candidate

The fluid leaked thru the cap when the calipers were compressed due to the new pads you instaled. You should have done a brake fluid bleed at the same time if the fluid is more than 6 months old. Check your fluid level, make sure its not over the max line then just wipe everything down thoroughly and recheck after a drive.
Old 10-16-12, 03:57 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

you usually dont add brake fluid, only after a brake service. so you when you compress the pistons, extra fluid is will expel.
Old 10-16-12, 05:33 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zaero
The fluid leaked thru the cap when the calipers were compressed due to the new pads you instaled. You should have done a brake fluid bleed at the same time if the fluid is more than 6 months old. Check your fluid level, make sure its not over the max line then just wipe everything down thoroughly and recheck after a drive.

I am positive that the fluid is leaking from the connections from the resevoir to the master cylinder.. I can move the resevoir slightly and see the fluid seep from the connections... I need to know if there is a way to stop the resevoir from moving/vibrating from the master cylinder... and how to remove the resevoir from the master cylinder to replace the seals...
Old 10-20-12, 05:05 PM
keerc
Driver School Candidate

Default remove the resevoir from the master cylinder

Originally Posted by keerc
I am positive that the fluid is leaking from the connections from the resevoir to the master cylinder.. I can move the resevoir slightly and see the fluid seep from the connections... I need to know if there is a way to stop the resevoir from moving/vibrating from the master cylinder... and how to remove the resevoir from the master cylinder to replace the seals...
I found the following info: to remove the resevoir from the master cylinder, remove the roll pin/or screw from the bottom of the resevoir to the mastercylinder. Lift the resevoir and catch the brake fluid in a shallow bowl as you lift the resevoir seals from the master cylinder...

I placed a 12 inch cable tie around the resevoir and master cylinder and tightened snugly... this compressed the neopreme seals tightly against the master cylinder and the leak stopped...

so a new set of seals should repair the leak correctly..

thanks guys..