Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs starting to rattle after 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 10:28 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Springs starting to rattle after 6 months

So I've had Tanabe DF210 springs installed on all 4 corners of the car for aorund 6 months and now the drivers side rear (only that once corner) is starting to rattle for the smallest bumps. They were completely silent until today when I drove it around this morning.

Have I blown my shock so its resting on just the spring and is starting to rattle? It's slowly driving me insane...All 4 corners have the plastic silencers installed if that makes any difference...
Old 03-14-12, 10:35 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are all the springs rattling, or just one? Do they rattle at a certain speed or under certain road conditions? Is there vibration accompanies with the rattle? Have you noticed that your car is lower on one side than the other? Tried to be a little more detailed here...

Shouldn't this be in the suspension and brakes subforum?
Old 03-14-12, 10:36 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

I think one sides always been a bit lower, but it was that way on stocks too so no change there.
Only one spring is rattling (the driver's side rear) and they'll rattle over little bumps and potholes on the road, if the road's smooth, no rattle
Old 03-14-12, 10:42 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ sounds like something wasn't tightened properly.
Old 03-14-12, 10:44 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

So only one spring is rattling (not all of them)?

Have you lifted up the car on that one spring and inspected...? It could really be numerous things... bad shock/spring... problems with your end links... best bet is to jack up the car and take a gander.
Old 03-14-12, 10:48 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by karasha
So only one spring is rattling (not all of them)?

Have you lifted up the car on that one spring and inspected...? It could really be numerous things... bad shock/spring... problems with your end links... best bet is to jack up the car and take a gander.
I live in an apartment so my car lives outside and I have no jack...I installed at my friend's garage so I'm trying to set up a time to use his stuff and jack the car up. I'm just trying to figure out what it might be before I go ahead and rip apart everything again.

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ sounds like something wasn't tightened properly.
if it wasn't, wouldn't I have noticed immediately? Not 6 months later....unless it became loosened by something.
Old 03-14-12, 10:50 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Could definitely be what Jason said and something wasn't tightened properly. When you get under the car, just definitely check everything out that I previously mentioned (and then some) on the side that rattles...
Old 03-14-12, 10:55 AM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I would check out the bolts on your underside... something wasn't tightened properly. i had the same problem
Old 03-14-12, 10:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cybeclipse
if it wasn't, wouldn't I have noticed immediately? Not 6 months later....unless it became loosened by something.
just because something wasn't tightened properly doesn't mean that you would detect it immediately.

unless the proper torque specs were followed, nuts and bolts can become loose over time, with forces acting on/against it.

i agree with karasha. jack up the car and take a gander. asking us to help you diagnose it with a semi-descriptive post results in conjecture at best.
Old 03-14-12, 11:27 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projectdna
i agree with karasha. jack up the car and take a gander. asking us to help you diagnose it with a semi-descriptive post results in conjecture at best.
I agree as well...just posting to see if anyone had seen this kind of thing before. Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-12, 11:47 AM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Spring twisted somehow and became un-seated?
Old 03-14-12, 11:54 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
Spring twisted somehow and became un-seated?
It's possible. Any ClubLexus members in the diamond bar/ Pomona area wanna help me out with a garage and tools? Lol I'll buy dinner!
Old 03-14-12, 01:44 PM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like me when i dropped my accord 2" on stock shocks. it would eat through ball joints for breakfast and i would always get a rattle/clunk. Something to consider.

It's possible. Any ClubLexus members in the diamond bar/ Pomona area wanna help me out with a garage and tools? Lol I'll buy dinner!
Old 03-14-12, 01:55 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Welp, I'm at Longo Lexus now having them take a look at it.

Edit: my service advisor just came and told me that while they were lifting it up, the forgot to lift one side a totally just ****ed my side skirt and driver side rear door.... -_- At least they told me and didn't try to play it off like it was something I did.
Old 03-14-12, 02:01 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Welp, I'm at Longo Lexus now having them take a look at it.

Edit: my service advisor just came and told me that while they were lifting it up, the forgot to lift one side a totally just ****ed my side skirt and driver side rear door.... -_- At least they told me and didn't try to play it off like it was something I did.
dealerships....sorry to hear. do let us know what they say about the rattling tho!

Quick Reply: Springs starting to rattle after 6 months