Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT Koni Struts on SC400 Eibachi Pro kit Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 10:31 AM
ultimate
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra TT Koni Struts on SC400 Eibachi Pro kit Springs???

Hello fellow club Lexus community members, i have purchased my car about a year and a half ago. My struts we're giving out on my car and i was looking to replace them. As you all know there isnt much for performance suspension upgrades for the sc400, but supra parts fit on the sc400. So I went out and bought Koni Supra TT Struts for my sc400 (Front #30.1583Sport, Rear #30.1584Sport), and also bought Sc400 (not supra tt) Eibach pro kit springs (#8230.140). I'm worried there might be an incompatibility issue between the struts and springs, im looking to get them installed really soon, just want to hear your guys suggestions. So what do you guys think, can I use my sc400 eibach pro kits with my supra tt koni struts? I checked online and the supra tt eibach springs and sc400 eibach springs lower the car similary, just the supra tt eibach springs lowers the front @ 1.2inches and 1.0 in the back, while the sc400 eibachsprings do 1.0 in the front and 1.0 in the rear.

Last edited by ultimate; 03-21-12 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 03-21-12, 12:58 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will be fine, but check the condition of your tophats and shock covers.
Old 03-21-12, 01:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

moved to suspension.

PS, konis are great shocks. had a set on my mazda
Old 03-29-12, 11:30 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ehhh i was under the impression to use supra struts you had to use supra springs. if they were interchangeable then why would they make different part #s.

pretty sure your gonna have to use sc struts with sc springs and vice versa
Old 03-31-12, 12:22 AM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

i had supra tt lowering springs on my 95 sc400 fronts where supra tt strut and supra tt lowering springs and the rears were supra tt lowering springs and sc400 oem struts, but it requires a hammer and a 2 ton jack handle, i wouldnt do it to your new supra tt struts get some supra tt lowering springs, oh and the rear might be a little higher than the front like .3 or maybe .5 i have no idea what springs they are but they are blue i bought them used and no box no brand name on them i also got some oem na supra springs
Old 04-08-12, 12:48 PM
ultimate
Rookie

Update: So I tried to get the Koni struts and Eibach springs installed, they are incompatible, the front springs fit just right, but the rear ones wont sit on the baffle, the springs are too big on the bottom, So I went out and tried to purchase eibach supra tt springs and posted up my sc400 red powder coated eibach springs for sale on craiglist... they got discontinued about 2 years ago, no more eibach for supra tt, cant find it anywhere online, or cant order anywhere online, if you do find it online and try to order it they will tell you that they cant order it because its discontinued, the only way to get eibach is to find it used in supra forums or sc forums, SOO... disappointed as I was, I searched what other supra tt springs were available, I found a couple. The only company that had the same quality and same drop as eibach was tanabe. So I order tanabe springs, waited for them to come in, finally got the springs in, had time to install it yesterday, everything worked perfect, drop was very nice, adjusted the koni struts just right too, now I need to roll my front fender, my rear fender was already rolled because it was rubbing before I lowered it because of my 265 wide tires, so the front fenders have to get rolled next.

Later on I found out http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html
Any OEM and aftermarket suspension designed for the MKIV Toyota Supra will also work with the SC coupe. This includes all Supra coilover packages. Ony thing you must consider when shopping for Supra lowering spring packages: you must swap the entire strut-spring assembly from the Supra rear end, not just the springs.
So I already learned my lesson, never mix 2 different car model parts together, the springs and strut has to be from the same model. Also I realized my strut mount was worn, but during the time i was installing it I didnt have replacement strut mounts, so I used the old oem strut mounts, my suspension still squeaks when going over bumps or pot holes, so now I have to retake it off and reinstall it with new strut mounts. Other then that the ride is great, its a nice comfortable stiff ride, takes turns great! Now I cant wait for my supra sway bars =D, I will post pictures of the drop soon.

Last edited by ultimate; 04-08-12 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 04:27 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by ultimate
Update: So I tried to get the Koni struts and Eibach springs installed, they are incompatible, the front springs fit just right, but the rear ones wont sit on the baffle, the springs are too big on the bottom, So I went out and tried to purchase eibach supra tt springs and posted up my sc400 red powder coated eibach springs for sale on craiglist... they got discontinued about 2 years ago, no more eibach for supra tt, cant find it anywhere online, or cant order anywhere online, if you do find it online and try to order it they will tell you that they cant order it because its discontinued, the only way to get eibach is to find it used in supra forums or sc forums, SOO... disappointed as I was, I searched what other supra tt springs were available, I found a couple. The only company that had the same quality and same drop as eibach was tanabe. So I order tanabe springs, waited for them to come in, finally got the springs in, had time to install it yesterday, everything worked perfect, drop was very nice, adjusted the koni struts just right too, now I need to roll my front fender, my rear fender was already rolled because it was rubbing before I lowered it because of my 265 wide tires, so the front fenders have to get rolled next.

Later on I found out http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

So I already learned my lesson, never mix 2 different car model parts together, the springs and strut has to be from the same model. Also I realized my strut mount was worn, but during the time i was installing it I didnt have replacement strut mounts, so I used the old oem strut mounts, my suspension still squeaks when going over bumps or pot holes, so now I have to retake it off and reinstall it with new strut mounts. Other then that the ride is great, its a nice comfortable stiff ride, takes turns great! Now I cant wait for my supra sway bars =D, I will post pictures of the drop soon.
yeah like i said... they wont work together..
Old 04-14-12, 12:02 PM
mikevandam
Driver

yep, if youre going with supra shocks, springs have to be for a supra too.
Shocks on a MKIV are shorter than the SC's so when an SC has, lets say TT suspension, it drops lower than the TT does. Around an extra .5' drop.
Old 04-17-12, 10:21 AM
ultimate
Rookie

Update: After driving my new suspension for almost 2 weeks, i can see the flaws appearing. I had my front fenders rolled recently, and found out that the wheel on the front left side is hitting the black plastic wheel cover, on the right side it does the same, so we went ahead and trimmed the wheel cover, while removing the wheel cover from the left side, i saw what was really rubbing against the tire, there is a white 2 inch wide piece of plastic that runs through the top of the wheel well. I found out that that plastic is used to protect a wire behind it, that plastic is almost completely annihilated, it actually shreeded past the white plastic and the wire is actually exposed now... I also realized the squeeking is still there, i need to buy new strut mount, but im having a hard time finding the whole assembly with the dust cover, do i get the one for the sc400 or supra tt? Which brands do you guys recommend for strut mount replacement for my konis.

Also i realized my ride is bouncy, there are 4 click settings for the strut 0, 1, 2, 3 (0 is stiff, 3 is soft), i have mines set at 2, but i was thinking, arent these struts designed for the supra tt? Isnt the supra tt, twice as light??? So dosent that mean i should have my struts set to 0??! I researched the forums and found out that a guy is having the same bouncy problem with his koni struts on a different set of springs just like me, he also recommended stiffening the struts all the way to 0 for the sc400. We waited for his reply back on the thread, but he never came through to see if he fixed the problem by stiffening or not, so i will plan a day to stiffen up the suspension while i install the supra tt sway bars and new strut mounts, once i find out which strut mounts to get with your guys help. =D

Last edited by ultimate; 04-17-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 06:08 PM
ultimate
Rookie

The rubbing was far worse then i thought,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: Found a DIY on how to relocate the wire harness w/o cutting https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elocation.html

I just tried to relocate the whole thing myself... after 4 hours I managed to relocated the entire wire harness around the tire well.

So now since my wire harness is away from harm, i gave my vehicle a TEST drive and found out that its still rubbing on the left, and the right side.... It rubbing against this piece of metal facing straight down like a razor blade, on both sides, it wont rub unless you drive the car hard and turn while hitting a bump, do you guys have this problem? I though about hammering the metal and tweaking it side ways to avoid it cutting the tire any further, lines are showing up on both of my front tires, it looks like a straight cut mark all the way around the tire. Waiting for your guy's suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by ultimate; 04-22-12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-08-12, 10:20 PM
ultimate
Rookie

Last Update: Sorry about the very long delay, heres the picture of my car filling up gas, lowered suspension =D

I had problems with my struts after 5 months dealing with the same problem I have finally finished everything. One of my front struts was leaking air (even though the struts were brand new) I took it on a dirt road and it didnt handle well, so we got Koni warranty and went ahead to replace it. Then my SECOND front strut had a problem, the threadings were stripped, installation error? maybe? So i had to get another warranty and replace the second one just today. Now I hear squeaking noises in the front going 70mph, Im assuming its the busing in the front, as we all know the bushing should of worn off by now, I also hear creaking noises in the back, one of my control arms need some greasing up or brand new bushing... But if im going to replace bushings, I might as well replace the balljoints for maximum smoothness? then I learned that the ball joints are not removable, (lexus way of making money) so you need to buy a complete new arm instead if you want a new balljoint... But I hear that balljoints last longer then bushings, so by replacing my bushing all the creaking noises should disappear.

Also, lets review the main points in this forum postings
- you cant mix and match springs from different model cars (supra and sc400) the spring and strut set either has to be from an sc400 spring/strut set or a supra spring/strut set.
- I learned supra springs and struts lower you car an extra .5 all around
- I learned you need to roll rear fenders if you got 265 width tires or above
- I learned the front dosent really need fender rolls at width 235, but recommended at 245
- When you lower you vehicle you "NEED" to do the wire harness relocation DIY (Do it before you strip the wires!)
- Replace your BUMPSTOPS on you struts they are used almost everytime you drive, when i drove with my sliced/broken bump stops, everytime i hit a bump the rubber of the tire would hit the top wheel well chassis of the car and will start cutting into the tire on the front, this is happening because if you look on the top of the wheel well, you will see a piece of the chassis sticking down like a razor blade, what I did is took a stone mallet and hammered downthe razor sharp metal sideways so it dosent cut the tire anymore, after I replaced my bumpstops, the rubbing problem from hitting bumps to hard was also solved about 95%, the only time it will rub, is when i hit a bump really hard, the bump stop dosent stop it from hitting the chassis, all that force from hitting the bump that hard still makes it hit the top part of the chassis of the wheel well,still hitting the piece of metal, that used to stick down like a razor blade, now sideways. This never happens when driving casually, only happens when driving rough =D.
- What else I miss? oh yea, check condition of you dust covers... the mounting brackets never have to get replaced unless its tweaked, broken (which is almost never) Dont buy aftermarket dust covers and bump stops, they suck, KYB makes good products but this is nowhere near good to comparison towards the original OEM dust cover and bump stop

Last edited by ultimate; 07-08-12 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 03:04 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info, yes I'm bumping this thread. If ur still on club Lexus, what size rims do u have?