Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F Sport springs and wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 03:02 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F Sport springs and wheel alignment

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any issues with their alignments after installing the F Sport springs. I'm 99% certain that the box or instructions doesn't come with new alignment specs. Also, if anyone can post pics of their IS with the f sport springs and preferably stock wheels, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 03-22-12, 09:43 AM
Jassi1994
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mines installed and my fenders rolled because i have 20'' sorry no stocks but do have the fsports and the guy said there was no need for an alignment done, it'z just a inch drop
Attached Thumbnails F Sport springs and wheel alignment-fsport.jpg   F Sport springs and wheel alignment-fsport1.jpg   F Sport springs and wheel alignment-fsport2.jpg  
Old 03-22-12, 03:16 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm getting F-sport springs installed tomorrow and still riding on stock 17" wheels. For peace of mind, I'll also have an alignment done; it's only $70.
Old 03-22-12, 03:30 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

I'm getting F-sport springs installed tomorrow and still riding on stock 17" wheels. For peace of mind, I'll also have an alignment done; it's only $70.
Cool! Would you mind posting a couple pics after on here after it gets done? And possibly post a pic of the alignment sheet that they'll give you if it's no hassle.
Old 03-22-12, 03:33 PM
Hoac
Pole Position

I'm out to drop my car on some BR Coils. Everything i've been reading, including F sport springs, is that it will change the geometry of your car giving you negative camber. Basically the top of the tire will be pointed inwards on your car alittle. While you may not notice anything at first (and you may never from some of the posts i've read) this will cause inner tire wear, and if its bad enough you may have to get new tires like every 5-10k miles! I'm not sure what effects it will have on stock 17" but I would get the alignment done anyway after about 2 weeks of driving on them.

I've heard that a 2" drop will give you around a -2 camber which would cause problems, so i'm guessing a 1" drop will give you around -1 camber, maby less because of the size of the rims/tires. The only adjustable part of our suspension is "toe" and the camber is fixed. The only way to adjust camber is to by an aftermarket camber kit (SPC, Megans).

Hope this helps!
Old 03-22-12, 04:46 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

I'll end up aligning the car too, but the thing is I dont know if I would have to get a custom alignment or if I would be able to keep the stock settings.
Old 03-22-12, 05:47 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a few pics of my car. Sitting on F-Sport shocks, F-Sport springs, and OEM 18s.

Old 03-22-12, 07:28 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

looks good Greg! How long have you had em? Are your Tires wearing unusually if you've had an alignment with stock settings?
Old 03-23-12, 12:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
I was wondering if anyone out there has had any issues with their alignments after installing the F Sport springs. I'm 99% certain that the box or instructions doesn't come with new alignment specs. Also, if anyone can post pics of their IS with the f sport springs and preferably stock wheels, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Its best to stick with the factory specs. Once you lower the car, you change the stance of the vehicle. Because of the suspension design, it will typically give you negative camber the lower you go. There is no way around it. You can toe in the front wheels to help even out the contact patch to the ground, but you just put more stress/wear on the whole width of the tire than just the tire edge. The F Sport drop is not that aggressive that it will wear out your tires in just 10k miles. There are a lot of factors that contribute to accelerated tire wear but dropping it with F Sport springs does not require special alignment specs. Stick with the factory settings.
Old 03-23-12, 05:45 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
looks good Greg! How long have you had em? Are your Tires wearing unusually if you've had an alignment with stock settings?
I had everything installed at the beginning of February. I think the inners of my tires are wearing a little bit faster than the outers. But the drop is so conservative I'm not expecting it to be a huge issue.
Old 03-23-12, 04:54 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by greg0126
Here are a few pics of my car. Sitting on F-Sport shocks, F-Sport springs, and OEM 18s.

HEY GREG SOMEONE TOOK PICTURES OF YOUR CAR AGAIN! HAHHAHHA

Here is food for thought, Lobuxracer taught me that our cars have no camber and toe adjustability from the factory. If you lower the IS250 or IS350 you will eventually need to go with like a Megan Racing or FIGS rear camber arm and FIGS front camber dohicky...........I recently took my car to GranTurismo and they confirmed that. You can lower your car an inch without major issues, but like Greg stated you will see slight inner wear. So if your going to lower our cars, do it right all the way, I am just saying
Old 03-23-12, 04:57 PM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Its best to stick with the factory specs. Once you lower the car, you change the stance of the vehicle. Because of the suspension design, it will typically give you negative camber the lower you go. There is no way around it. You can toe in the front wheels to help even out the contact patch to the ground, but you just put more stress/wear on the whole width of the tire than just the tire edge. The F Sport drop is not that aggressive that it will wear out your tires in just 10k miles. There are a lot of factors that contribute to accelerated tire wear but dropping it with F Sport springs does not require special alignment specs. Stick with the factory settings.
Well stated!

But be aware of the camber as it goes low, a fix is the camber arms to bring the tires back innwards...food for thought!
Old 03-24-12, 01:47 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SiskoMax77
HEY GREG SOMEONE TOOK PICTURES OF YOUR CAR AGAIN! HAHHAHHA

Here is food for thought, Lobuxracer taught me that our cars have no camber and toe adjustability from the factory. If you lower the IS250 or IS350 you will eventually need to go with like a Megan Racing or FIGS rear camber arm and FIGS front camber dohicky...........I recently took my car to GranTurismo and they confirmed that. You can lower your car an inch without major issues, but like Greg stated you will see slight inner wear. So if your going to lower our cars, do it right all the way, I am just saying
Wait, so are you saying that we shouldn't take it to get aligned because there's no way for our cars to get the camber and toe adjusted? How would shops align our cars then? Sorry, new to this stuff
Old 03-24-12, 02:35 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

really needed an alignment when i installed mine, i advise you to do it.
Old 03-24-12, 01:14 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Wait, so are you saying that we shouldn't take it to get aligned because there's no way for our cars to get the camber and toe adjusted? How would shops align our cars then? Sorry, new to this stuff
The stock front suspension only has toe adjustment unless you invest in an adjustable lower control arm or sliding upper ball joint.

Quick Reply: F Sport springs and wheel alignment