Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what happens when you swap perches from supra strut to sc400

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 05:57 AM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happens when you swap perches from supra strut to sc400

ok i swapped out perch from a blown supra strut to a to a sc400 strut and got some lowering springs for a supra dont know the brand but their blue. and the guy i bought it off of said it gives a 1.8 drop all around got them for 50 bucks brand used, my front struts are from supra my rears are still the sc400 but swapped out the perch my question is can something catostrophically go wrong? im just impatient and waiting for replacement struts ive been driving it for around 100 miles only bad thing is it rubs in the front, yes i know stock shock will go out cause of lowering springs, i have also seen the top strut part break off due to cut springs. but what about swapping perches? my guess would be the sc400 strut would have same lifespan as any other stock strut with lowering spring. well waiting to get rear struts to come but will keep stock fronts till i can afford new front ones, but i would like to wait untill i have all four new struts but in my situation i have to work with what i got which is nothing, i cant have stock suspension cuz the front stock is blown and id rather ride on good shocks now than ride on blown ones, so working with what i got i have 3 blown front sc shocks, 2 front supra shocks 1 blown rear and 1 good rear, this is my only car, and it gets me to work, i plan on checking out the suspension tomorrow but as of now the car handles good only complaint is the front rub but havent notice any problems with rear, no unexpected oversteer and i ran the car hard after i installed this, smashed through big freeway turns to winding roads i would drive it the most 15 miles at a time i will be checking the suspension tomorrow after running it hard one more time and decide what to do which might be to just put the stock springs back on and having a setup of front supra struts with stock springs
and sc400 strut and spring, but for me there is always this one point in time where i just have to dip, just would like to know when the time arises when i gotsta dip, i gotsta dip with no hesitation due to my unexpected situations the time where i would have to dip would be any time
but i have a feeling if this is how the car handles with used struts then just thinking of how the car would handle with brand new struts is enough motivation to get the funds for the fronts cuz the rears are already covered i am now working on figuring a way to get the fronts so that i can install all four struts at once with my guess i have maybe 3 or 4 months to do this, my job is unpredictable and unreliable but its the only thing i can do