Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Left & Right axles blown at 50k PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 01:25 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Though I don't follow alot of the 2IS AWD threads, I have read enough to know that AWD owners say that lowering the cars cause excessive strain on the half shafts and cause pre-mature wear/breakage.
Old 03-24-12, 01:28 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
When you change the boot, you clean all of the old grease out and put new grease in. It is not a band-aid fix unless components are already damaged. As for why you would do one and not the other, well that's usually cost based.

I'd rather keep my factory axle with a new factory boot than put in an aftermarket axle.

Jeff
I understand how you feel, I would have loved to keep my factory axles as well. Nothing better than OEM.

The cost of labor, is most likely going to be the same for replacing boots or replacing the whole axle (not including the cost of parts). In order for them to change the boots, they have to take out the axle, remove the joint and then replace the boot. Yes they will add new grease. But if you dont know the condition of the joint itself, replacing only the boot is risky. It might already be damaged ( it doesnt have to click or make noise). And then one day you will have to replace the axle, and pay more labor cost to do it. Then you have to get another alignment and pay more.
Old 03-24-12, 01:33 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

So what do you think I should do? I dont think this is covered under the powertrain warrenty. Could I ***** at coperate to see if they will cover it or atleast pay half?

On another note you say I just can repair the boots right? I may be giving up the car in a year so If I can save money thats what I would like to
Old 03-24-12, 01:35 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flektone
Im going to see what the dealer says. Do you think once they see the coils hes going to put in on that? I will also go as fas as complaining to corperate but I cant if they are going to blame the coils
Dealers love to blame aftermarket components. They might be right this time, but its not unheard of for dealers to blame engine problems on a aftermarket muffler, which is nonsense. Or the can claim that the aftermarket components void the warranty and so forth. So Yes, I would reinstall OEM components before heading to the dealer.
Old 03-24-12, 01:38 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by evogt500
Dealers love to blame aftermarket components. They might be right this time, but its not unheard of for dealers to blame engine problems on a aftermarket muffler, which is nonsense. Or the can claim that the aftermarket components void the warranty and so forth. So Yes, I would reinstall OEM components before heading to the dealer.
yeah unfortunately thats not going to happen. Im not paying $350 to have the coils taken out. Cuz if I do that I want to make sure that the coils are the cause of this problem. If so I will go back to OEM suspension and sell the coils
Old 03-24-12, 01:50 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

If your good on taking pictures (safely)... Shows what you got..!!!!

Im curious to see if its the hubs giving you issues and NOT the axles....

Of course verifying a "torn boot" would be good to do as well..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 03-24-12, 01:54 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also if decide to get new axles, know that its really not new. they are remanufactured. basically they take the olds ones and rebuild them, then resale them

i wouldn't say coils is the cause but it can cause it to wear out faster. thats the thing about modding cars, things tend to wear faster!!! (supension and engine performace upgrades)

Last edited by Denver; 03-24-12 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-24-12, 02:22 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

funny how this thread hasn't moved to the drivetrain section
Old 03-24-12, 02:27 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Some have that issue in the AWD and some don't. When I had mine installed at 12k till 26k when I traded I had no issues.
Old 03-24-12, 02:34 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

If its one thing i absolutely hate is when someone suggests to "take off the aftermarket part and go to the dealer!"... essentially defrauding the dealer and warranty. If lowering the car put undue stress on the boots, then own up to it and fix it out of your own pocket, dont expect Lexus to cover it. Especially when you dont do your services there. If the coils didnt cause the failure, then it should be warranty. Should be pretty easy to tell if the car is up on a flat rack, you can see the angle of the cv joint and tell if its going to cause damage. You said the car has only been lowered for 10k miles... im assuming it wasnt leaking prior to that. I can honestly say that leaking CV boots are extremely rare in the IS, whether it be 2WD or AWD... Let the dealer take a look at it. Dont instantly threaten to call corporate... both the dealer and corporate will not take you seriously... especially with no service history and aftermarket parts installed.
Old 03-24-12, 03:01 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RTIS250
If its one thing i absolutely hate is when someone suggests to "take off the aftermarket part and go to the dealer!"... essentially defrauding the dealer and warranty. If lowering the car put undue stress on the boots, then own up to it and fix it out of your own pocket, dont expect Lexus to cover it. Especially when you dont do your services there. If the coils didnt cause the failure, then it should be warranty. Should be pretty easy to tell if the car is up on a flat rack, you can see the angle of the cv joint and tell if its going to cause damage. You said the car has only been lowered for 10k miles... im assuming it wasnt leaking prior to that. I can honestly say that leaking CV boots are extremely rare in the IS, whether it be 2WD or AWD... Let the dealer take a look at it. Dont instantly threaten to call corporate... both the dealer and corporate will not take you seriously... especially with no service history and aftermarket parts installed.
Sorry to offend you. But like i said before, it is not unheard of for dealers not fix a problem due to an unrelated aftermarket part. In this case, if it IS related, then he should own up.
Old 03-24-12, 03:15 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Which ever mod moved this put this in the first gen IS section lol
Old 03-24-12, 09:56 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

So what does everyone think around here? is it 50/50 that lowering your car could put stress on the boots? I heard about boots leaking and what not on here before. If someone can tell me that the lowering is to blame I will bring it back to stock. Ill be bringing it to the dealer this week. Never told the guy im lowered on coils but he saw the car and know its low. I will just wait to they say something to me about it
Old 03-24-12, 10:49 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Can someone post a diagram of the suspension or CV boot set up so I can kinda understand whats going on and how maybe lowering the car would effect it?
Old 03-25-12, 09:03 AM
Likwid XTC
Lead Lap

Ive had my is serviced before being modded. If they determine the problem is from the coils then they won't cover it. I've been lowered since about 10k miles and my car has about 84k now and it still runs perfectly.

Quick Reply: Left & Right axles blown at 50k PLEASE HELP