Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front brake rotor ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 01:59 PM
rockinalex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front brake rotor ?

Is250 2006 : the dealer told me that I need a brake service and that the front brake rotor needs to be replace too since you cannot turned the disk like a particular car . True ? If so can I just replace the pads and be okay ? Dealer Quoted me at 500$ just for the front .
Old 03-27-12, 02:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinalex
Is250 2006 : the dealer told me that I need a brake service and that the front brake rotor needs to be replace too since you cannot turned the disk like a particular car . True ? If so can I just replace the pads and be okay ? Dealer Quoted me at 500$ just for the front .
He's lying.

Possibly about multiple things.

You certainly can turn the rotors, but unless there's something seriously wrong with them you're just wasting good metal to do so.

If the rotors are in good shape (does the car brake and stop smoothly now? if so they're likely fine) they yeah just slap on new pads and go.

Heck you might not even REALLY need new pads as they'll often say you do long before you actually do.

FInd out the measurement of the remaining pad from them... 1 mm is min spec.
Old 03-27-12, 02:27 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Just find a reliable meahanic in your area and have them replace it when necessary
Old 03-28-12, 01:39 AM
rockinalex
Rookie

yeah that is exactly what i thought. the front specs are 6mm and the rear are currently at 3mm. the car brakes smoothly still , just getting a fine random squeeking noise from the rear from time to time.. so i will just buy pads on the outside and possibly just do the job myself. thanks guys
Old 03-28-12, 02:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockinalex
yeah that is exactly what i thought. the front specs are 6mm and the rear are currently at 3mm. the car brakes smoothly still , just getting a fine random squeeking noise from the rear from time to time.. so i will just buy pads on the outside and possibly just do the job myself. thanks guys
From my understanding, squealing like that could just be the result of dirty brake shims and/or overly "clean" rotors I think. The latter is a problem lobuxracer has mentioned before that can be fixed by a couple of hard stops to get some pad material on the rotor. I have experienced some squealing/squeeking for a good while on my car (although it went away over the last year or so), and my brakes were fine.

So squealing brakes don't necessarily indicate a real problem with your brake system on this car from my experience. When your pads are low, the wear indicators will make a noise which apparently is quite different from the squealing that I think you're talking about.
Old 03-29-12, 11:17 AM
rockinalex
Rookie

thanks Rocket# .. yeah the rear squeaks only when i am almost at a complete stop. but i been with the same brakes for over 3years now, and have put about 40k on them. so its time for a new set. i just dont want to spend much on replacements.
Old 03-30-12, 08:52 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have about 45K on my front brakes, and they just now are about ready to be replaced (the pads at least, not yet sure about the rotors -- I suspect the rotors still have some life left to give) and over 60K on my rear brakes, and they still have like 20% of their life left.