Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC400 and Apex SAFC update??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 04:25 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default still not sure what's scientific about anything said here:

Ok,... if we're discussing dyno numbers,... who has posted any for the SC400 who used the SAFC,... to date, nobody,... and those who did, used their seat dyno,... that doesn't count.

I can only endorse it because I've actually used it, and your statement about 10hp is partially true,... that was probably at peak rpm,... the 24hp gain I was referring to was actually in the driving rpms,... around 3-4K. So it depends on if you're looking at max hp, or the whole graph.

True, they are different motors, with different ECU's,...but after looking at a group of graphs on the shop computer, all had fluxes in the stock A/F ratio,... EVERY SINGLE CAR, Acura's, Honda's, Nissan's, Mazda's,... all the car's they tuned, they saved the dyno charts and configurations. I can bet my car that once I get it on the wideband,... I'm goin' to see something similar to what I had goin' on in the last car. It's not gonna be 14:1 across the board.

And you are right,.. the SAFC doesn't replace the signal, it alters it to be read as if there was a condition that didn't exist to fool the computer into adjusting for that condition, thus adding or taking away fuel. If the wideband reports that at 3000 rpm, the A/F ratio is rich, you adjust the signal to make the ECU reduce the amount of fuel provided at that rpm, thus leaning the mixture.

If you know based on dyno charts what an SAFC has done for a SC400,... please post it, and then I can't argue with the results, because it has been documented by fact, not opinion.

no animousity,... just tryin' to get the facts so that the best decision can be made.
Old 11-05-02, 10:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by healerhand
I think the Stand Alone is the best, but the price will kill a lot of people. Secondly, not too many Stand Alone computer would support the 1UZFE engine.
while you're right about the standalone plus cost of tuning...
you're wrong on your second statement...

MOST standalones will work with nearly anything... they have no harness you have to build your own and use new sensors... i'd bet there's a ton of Australian tuners down under using their Haltech standalones and making a lot more power
Old 11-06-02, 11:50 AM
Lvangundy

What about the mixture tuner from retrodrive's site? the AD1

http://www.cureline.net/lex/performance/ecu_ad1.htm
Old 11-06-02, 12:22 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default I dunno know about that one..

The SAFC allows you to choose 8 rpm pts, and then tune them accordingly, independent of each other, thus the unit interpolating between them,... that AD-1 didn't specify any rpm based adjustments,... just a low/hi setting,...and I think that's a pretty generic fix, and doesn't account for much between 1K - 6.5K.

I posted a dyno sheet from my 96 Z with/without SAFC with the A/F ratio on it in the Engine/Transmission section.
Old 11-18-02, 10:44 PM
texus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would the SAFC effect the use of nitrous?

Would there be any advantages to this system if you were spraying? I could see some advantages of advanced timing here. What do you think?
Old 11-20-02, 03:35 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

I'm not really sure,....because I don't know how the SAFC would know when you are using NOS or not, and the A/F mixture rule wouldn't apply here,...or would have to be programed for the addition of NOS. I'm sure it'd help,.... just not sure how much, and if it would hinder performance when not spraying NOS.
Old 05-12-03, 03:30 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does anyone know if this is a good buy for the SC400 or not?

Philly