Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Chassis Stiffening,NOT suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 09:26 PM
MWSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Chassis Stiffening,NOT suspension

Does anyone know if anyone makes "Fender Braces" or "Side Tower Braces" as some people know them. Ive serched all over CL and tried reputable websites such as Nengun performance and Titan Motorsports. My buddys have them on there S14's and they said out of the 6-10 braces they have minus a roll cage that brace is what they noticed the biggest difference in handling. Yes I already have Daizen Steering Rack bushings and K-Sport coilovers. Any help would be appreciated....

http://throwdownperformance.com/inde..._image&pID=311
Old 04-05-12, 12:18 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly im not so sure your gonna see as big of a difference as in an S-chassis nissan. But it doesnt look very complicated at all im sure you could have a local fab shop or even an exhaust shop make you up a custom set-up for a reasonable cost.

I honestly dont feel that much chassis flex in my sc and i hit the twisties hard. I have contemplated having a custom subframe built over the existing hardware just to stiffen everything up.
Old 04-05-12, 05:58 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408
I honestly dont feel that much chassis flex in my sc and i hit the twisties hard. I have contemplated having a custom subframe built over the existing hardware just to stiffen everything up.
Truth. It's almost bizarre how little flex such an old unibody has. I don't know whether it comes from having a full rear bulkhead or what it is, but there really isn't much room for improvement. A strut tower bar is a nice addition up front. I haven't taken a fender off yet so I don't know how much they weakened the front crumple zone or if a fender brace would really be beneficial.
Old 04-05-12, 08:11 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Our cars have a 'fender brace' built in. Front strut bar would help, some poly sway bushings, and maybe some metal adjustable end links as well. Me and a few other members on here fabbed up our own rear strut bars, who knows if it actually helps lol
Old 04-05-12, 08:31 PM
MWSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. I didnt relaize there was a fender brace built in. I was almost assuming it was like the S chasis. Would anyone recommend going full aftermarket on sway bars or using Supra sway bars with the rear adaption kit from Driftmotion? Any specific Endlinks that people have noticed any difference in handling?
Old 04-06-12, 01:38 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by MWSC300
Thanks guys for the positive feedback. I didnt relaize there was a fender brace built in. I was almost assuming it was like the S chasis. Would anyone recommend going full aftermarket on sway bars or using Supra sway bars with the rear adaption kit from Driftmotion? Any specific Endlinks that people have noticed any difference in handling?
Yeah there was a little more lovin put into our chassis than the S im sure, i mean it is a supra chassis.
I was planning on going supra tt bars just for being cost effective. On the endlinks im not sure of a specific type but im sure if your lowered getting slightly shorter ones would help keeping the sway bar level with the control arms.
This is cause usually when you lower it and keep stock end links it tilts the sway bar slightly up and in turn slightly reducing the effectiveness.
Old 04-06-12, 05:47 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Changing my shocks was a real pain so I ended up having to saw off the oem rotted end links, I seen a new set go for 70, but now that the car is lower I didn't want to use stock-height end links, so I bought all the components to make these fully adjustable bad boys and it was about 50 or 60 bucks
Old 04-27-12, 06:06 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I had solid (UHMW) lower control arm bushings for about a year until I replaced them all together. It made a nice difference, especially under braking. I made them in a lathe, used the original sleeves, polished up a bit.