Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just got my alignment done

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 01:46 PM
HAiS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my alignment done

Feels like my car drives better. Are my numbers good?
Old 04-10-12, 06:29 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

Numbers are fine, you might get some inner wear on the fronts with that amount of camber. I'm running about the same numbers up front and have inner wear. Gonna install the spc kit to fix this.
Old 04-10-12, 08:26 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say the alignment is still off because it is not all in spec. You need to go to an alignment shop with the experience to do this right.

Have a look at my report. I do not have any inner tire wear and no kits required. Notice the cambers in particular from before and after.

Last edited by Sango; 04-11-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 04:17 PM
HAiS250
Pole Position

Thanks for the input. Forget to mention that my car is lowered about 2.5 inches. The sales guy said they did the best they could.
Old 04-23-12, 12:16 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I would say the alignment is still off because it is not all in spec. You need to go to an alignment shop with the experience to do this right.

Have a look at my report. I do not have any inner tire wear and no kits required. Notice the cambers in particular from before and after.
Sango - are those Lexus specs? I took mine for an alignment at the dealer and they assured me it was done to Lexus' specs, and I didn't ask for the printout like yours because I honestly wouldn't have known what to do with it. I had extreme inner tire wear and want to try and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Also, I have a more general question about the alignment. I noticed immediately after pulling out of the dealership (where they did a 4-wheel alignment on my 2007 IS350) that the rear of my car was sliding far more easily and often than before, or so it seemed. Prior to the alignment, the tail of my car every once in a while would slide if it was wet or if I was giving it too much gas on a turn. But the threshold for this sliding seemed to be much lower after my alignment. Seems like now on any sort of wet surface I'm sliding when turning or spinning my wheels when starting from a stop.

Can anyone think of any reason that an alignment would cause poorer traction at the rear wheels, making sliding and spinning the wheels more common?
Old 04-23-12, 01:17 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Sango - are those Lexus specs? I took mine for an alignment at the dealer and they assured me it was done to Lexus' specs, and I didn't ask for the printout like yours because I honestly wouldn't have known what to do with it. I had extreme inner tire wear and want to try and ensure it doesn't happen again.

Also, I have a more general question about the alignment. I noticed immediately after pulling out of the dealership (where they did a 4-wheel alignment on my 2007 IS350) that the rear of my car was sliding far more easily and often than before, or so it seemed. Prior to the alignment, the tail of my car every once in a while would slide if it was wet or if I was giving it too much gas on a turn. But the threshold for this sliding seemed to be much lower after my alignment. Seems like now on any sort of wet surface I'm sliding when turning or spinning my wheels when starting from a stop.

Can anyone think of any reason that an alignment would cause poorer traction at the rear wheels, making sliding and spinning the wheels more common?
Yes, it is the Lexus specs for the IS250 with factory sport suspension. For the IS350, the specs will differ slightly. As part of the alignment, the dealer would normally provide the result printouts to the customer.

Sounds like they did not perform an alignment properly. You will need to get the geometry corrected as well.

When I first got my car. It felt ok, drove straight and all but feeling how it drives, felt like there was not much confident feeling at the wheel. I was planning to get it aligned anyways so I was not worried. After getting it aligned, the tech confirmed what I was feeling as he explained the results besides seeing everything in spec. The car now feels confident and you can feel the car stick on the road as you drive through the steering wheel.

I'm pretty in tune with the car when I drive so I know it more by feeling than a technical stand point.

Last edited by Sango; 04-23-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 06:33 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

doing mine thursday after installing springs!
Old 04-23-12, 07:00 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I came off as a bit of an idiot, I created a thread that lead to a pretty good discussion on this issue a while ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ve-camber.html

Which I had conclusive results, but I've been lazy and opting to un-mount and re-mount my tires left-to-right for the past several thousand miles rather than actually getting a proper alignment done... partly because I'm having trouble finding a shop that I trust.
Old 05-01-12, 05:51 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the alignment sheet after my most recent alignment. For background, the inner edges of my two front tires were wearing down much faster than the center and outer edges, so much so that they split apart.

Just got my alignment done-untitled.jpg

It seems to me that the two possible culprits of such uneven wear on the inner edges alone would be toe and camber. The camber of my front two tires though looked to both be -0.6, and were left that way because that was in spec.

The toe is what confuses me. This sheet lists the spec range for toe as being -0.4 to .12. That seems like a big range. My two front tires were 0.06 and 0.07, well within the spec range, but they adjusted them down to 0.04 and 0.03, also within spec range.

So I ask this: can anyone tell me, if all the measurements for my front two tires were within the "specified range", why I'd be having such uneven inner tire wear that the inner edges would wear down and split apart?

The alignment sheet looks like they did basically nothing, and I definitely don't want this issue happening again.

Also, can anyone tell me if I should be concerned that my rear left wheel toe is 0.16 and my rear right wheel is 0.08? They left it that way because they were both in spec, but it seems they should be the same...
Old 05-01-12, 07:47 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Yea it almost looks like they did not really do anything to correct any geometry issues. For one thing, the camber and the caster report is not precise enough. Need to list in hundreds to get a better idea, and these are only tenths.
Old 05-01-12, 08:30 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

For all intents and purposes I had my alignment shop set my toe to 0 all around and kept everything else as close to spec as possible...

Worked out great so far.
Old 05-02-12, 11:48 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have my toe set to 0 as well and im running -4 camber and my tires are wearing surprisingly well...im gonna get a good 20k flipping them.
Old 05-03-12, 08:46 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did mine today after 2.5 years of owning the car and 1 weeks (~400km) of being dropped....

anyone got any comments/advice on mine?

sucks cuz did it in morning, and all afternoon i've been driving on crappy roads and lots of pot holes...
Attached Thumbnails Just got my alignment done-imag0465.jpg  
Old 05-06-12, 11:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Yea it almost looks like they did not really do anything to correct any geometry issues. For one thing, the camber and the caster report is not precise enough. Need to list in hundreds to get a better idea, and these are only tenths.
Camber and caster reading is fine. You don't need more than a tenth of a degree to see what's going on. With a hundredth scale, your reading will change easily once you sit back into the car or even lean on it. In a way, it's like reading 220.1 whp vs 220.16 whp.
Old 05-06-12, 11:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376

Also, can anyone tell me if I should be concerned that my rear left wheel toe is 0.16 and my rear right wheel is 0.08? They left it that way because they were both in spec, but it seems they should be the same...
The rear toe looks fine.

Quick Reply: Just got my alignment done