Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking after replacing rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 05:35 PM
Marexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaking after replacing rotors and pads

So I just replaced the rotors and pads on my IS350 and tightened and cleaned everything in the process. I changed them because they were shaking so I assumed it was warped rotors. I did buy rotors from a member on here that said he had less then 1000 miles on them. The only thing I can think of is the rotors may have been damaged and warped in shipping. They weren't packaged very well

Before I call these rotors and pads a total loss and I'm out $150 bux is there anything else I'm missing?

Could I have put the pads in backwards? I am getting a brake squeal as well...I mean this isnt my first brake job and I made sure to reinsert the pin and cotter pin and tighten the caliper bolts.

I'm thinking it could be something else besides warped rotors that could be causing a shake while braking...hopefully
Old 04-10-12, 05:38 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

so you had a shake before and after the install ?
did you visually inspect all the other components?

A warped rotor you will feel on your foot once you apply the brakes. It only shaked during braking or at all times?
Old 04-10-12, 05:42 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
so you had a shake before and after the install ?
did you visually inspect all the other components?

A warped rotor you will feel on your foot once you apply the brakes. It only shaked during braking or at all times?
Correct shaking with the old rotors and pads and the new ones. Which inspecting the old ones they looked good just a little rusty but plenty of meat left on the pads. The new rotors and pads looked new during install just a little dirty. Everything visually looks amazing now just still shakes while braking
Old 04-10-12, 05:50 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Is this shake you speak of, only felt on the actual pedal once applied or the whole car?
Old 04-10-12, 05:58 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Is this shake you speak of, only felt on the actual pedal once applied or the whole car?
The whole car shakes when slowing down but will calm down after the initial braking.
Old 04-10-12, 07:06 PM
david.luu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have the same problem. Except, mine started shaking the whole car after a buddy changed out my rear brakes and I own an IS250.
Old 04-10-12, 07:11 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Thats odd, usually warped rotors the only vibration you will feel is the brake pedal, it will feel like it's "skipping" when you apply the brakes. me. I hate to try and diagnose something over the internet but I am trying to help here don't mind the million questions.
Old 04-10-12, 07:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Properly installed rotors do not warp. Really.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

The fact you have the same symptoms before and after suggest it might be something else, but did you properly bed the new brakes?
Old 04-10-12, 08:00 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Properly installed rotors do not warp. Really.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

The fact you have the same symptoms before and after suggest it might be something else, but did you properly bed the new brakes?
I don't know how they were installed previously, but I installed them correctly. Torqued the wheel to 76lbs each lug rolled the car out and re torqued them to be sure.

I had zero shims with taking out the old pads. Do I need shims or are they necessary only if the rotor thickness is less then OE spec?
Old 04-10-12, 08:12 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

Are u using the old brake pads or new ones?
Old 04-10-12, 08:20 PM
Marexus
Driver

Originally Posted by chaiyang7
Are u using the old brake pads or new ones?
The pads that were bedded with the rotors for the first 1000 miles...Problem is Im not sure what pad went where...maybe the groves in the pads aren't matching with the rotors and causing it.
Old 04-10-12, 08:22 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Actually can't any rotor be prone to getting warped by spraying water on them when hot?

I used shims even on my new pads. What pads did you get, like Kurtz said maybe not being bedded but then again you've had this problem even before.
Old 04-10-12, 08:25 PM
chaiyang7
Rookie

I just recently replace mines a month ago. cross-drilled slotted. after installation i took it out, went to 60mph slam on the brake til its almost to a complete stop but not all the way, then 40mph then 20mph to imbred "i think that how the spell it" the pads onto the rotors. But in these case u bought a use part so i wouldn't know what to tell u. Check ur brake fluid, inspect all the lines. U may need to bleed master cylinder maybe. THIS IS WHY I HATE USE STUFF< THEY WANT TO SELL IT FOR A REASON!
Old 04-10-12, 08:30 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't tell from your posts, but did you replace front and rear pads and rotors? You mentioned that it didn't have shims, yet they come from the factory with shims, so I think you may require them.
Old 04-10-12, 08:33 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How old is the car? Mileage?

It also could be the wheel bearings wearing out which can cause this as well. If this is the case, then the hub assembly would need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Shaking after replacing rotors and pads