Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

FIGS Toe Rods Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 08:51 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FIGS Toe Rods Squeaking

So I have had my FIGS Toe Control Arms on since fall now. However, this past week I started getting a squeaking sound from my rear going over bumps. I already had an appointment at the Lexus Dealership for a rattle I've been having so I had them check this sound out while they were under the car.

It turns out the squeaking sound is caused by the movement of the FIGS Toe Rods. Lexus lubed up the Toe Rods and the squeak went away. Unfortunately they also tried to convince me that the rattle I was getting was from the Toe Rods, even though I have had the rattle since before the Toe Rods were installed. I told them this, but they said they wouldn't be able to isolate the problem unless I installed new OEM Toe Rods. So basically I payed $100 for a diagnostic and the result was that they couldn't figure the rattle out. I am going to be writing a letter to corporate about that.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else was getting squeaks with the FIGS Toe Arms, and what kind of grease to use for them.

Sorry about the rant. I just don't like going to the Service Center that specializing in Lexus only to tell me they can't do anything unless I spend $665 (New Toe Rods + Install), just so that they can isolate the problem. Since I told them the sound was coming from the brakes they should have opened them up and checked.

Last edited by lexusben; 04-14-12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-14-12, 09:59 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You paid $100 for grease. lol.. j/k.

I'd contact figs.

Are the rods tightened to spec? Rattle from rear can also be the rear UCA.
Old 04-14-12, 10:45 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't believe they squeak. Lexus could have lubed up the whole rear end suspension and not just the rear toe links. I've had mine for... Close to a year and a half now I think and have had no problems with them. I have a rear squeak but it's caused by my rear upper control arms. The bushings are shot. I'd check those bushings first before saying the spherical bushings of the toe links are squeaking.. I don't see how metal spheres can squeak honestly, lol.
Old 04-15-12, 07:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

While it may not fix your problem, I would look into whether the tie rods are binding or not. Technicians have a bad habit of tightening things without realizing what they're doing. Rather than trying to hold the housing of the rod ends, they allow them to bind so they can tighten the nuts.. It may or may not fix your problem, but at least the rod ends won't loosen up..ask me know how I know.
Old 04-15-12, 09:25 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justablkv8
You paid $100 for grease. lol.. j/k.

I'd contact figs.

Are the rods tightened to spec? Rattle from rear can also be the rear UCA.
Lol basically

And the Squeaking was actually coming from the Toe Control Arm. They took me out to the car and when they moved the Toe Control Arm on the passenger side it squeaked. I am trying to think of a way I can create some kind of boot to put over the joint to keep grease in and dirt out so it doesn't squeak again. I need something like Electricity tape but a bit firmer that I can just loosely wrap around the joint. Any ideas?