Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 07:41 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i just drive super slow. i stay on the slow lane on the freeway. i go faster if i know the road is smooth.
Old 04-30-12, 07:44 PM
suprus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out my swap thread, that should give you a good idea of the direction that i am headed with the car.
Old 04-30-12, 07:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My bad, I was talking about your OP; How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?

Anyways, you get the point of what I'm saying right? But yeah, when I was doing my research of what needs to be done or precautionary actions prior to lowering, I read a lot about nothing being able to do about scraping the wheel wells due to its design being near to the wheels. Some posts dating back up to early '00's... The SC's chassis is high to the ground, then the entire cabin roof is so low that there's nothing you can do about the tires scraping the wheel wells when the suspension is compressed. I even hit it when driving up to a driveway on an angle. What I learned about the SC is, unlike other cars where you can get away by angling the car, the SC works better by going straight directly at the obstruction. When I angle I scrape the entire bottom of my SC, but when going straight it just scrape a little, most of times I don't even scrape.
Old 04-30-12, 07:52 PM
suprus
Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
My bad, I was talking about your OP; How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?

Anyways, you get the point of what I'm saying right? But yeah, when I was doing my research of what needs to be done or precautionary actions prior to lowering, I read a lot about nothing being able to do about scraping the wheel wells due to its design being near to the wheels. Some posts dating back up to early '00's... The SC's chassis is high to the ground, then the entire cabin roof is so low that there's nothing you can do about the tires scraping the wheel wells when the suspension is compressed. I even hit it when driving up to a driveway on an angle. What I learned about the SC is, unlike other cars where you can get away by angling the car, the SC works better by going straight directly at the obstruction. When I angle I scrape the entire bottom of my SC, but when going straight it just scrape a little, most of times I don't even scrape.
Ya I hear ya on that. I dont think my car is low enough to be scraping the chassis a whole lot though just the wheels for some reason.. But I checked out your thread the car looks good brotha I really like thos wheels. What are the next steps?
Old 04-30-12, 08:46 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Thanks! Glad you liked it! Just some small updates for now. Can't move forward with swapping the interior to black, there's just so many repairs that keep on piling up and budget won't allow everything to get done at the same time, cause I want OEM or OEM quality for every part I get. I'm just doing a restoration for now, no boosting or anything crazy, until the stock engine gives up.
Old 04-30-12, 09:12 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

as said, i do the normal things you guys do to stay low, angles, but as far as coil overs go i think going custom is a good idea, you can be extremly stiff and not wear out your wheel well/ rubber. if you continue to scape your well you pay want to look into the wire harness relocation DIY before you tear through it.
Old 05-08-12, 05:24 PM
XplicitlyR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it can be done, I lowered it for a photoshoot, but keep it higher for more aggresive driving.

this is raised up
Old 05-08-12, 05:29 PM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

to fully master one's driving kung fu, one must first slam the **** out of one's car. then, and only then, can you begin your true training and eventually unlock the proper driving spirit, chi, or swagger. whichever verbage one prefers.

basically, you learn to be more careful about dips, drops, potholes, speedbumps, etc. and sometimes, there ain't **** you can do about it but take a hit for the team. it happens.

Last edited by SCrollinSD; 05-08-12 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 05:37 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

^^^Lol^^^

Just get this on your smart phone;
http://www.slammednavigator.com/
Old 05-08-12, 10:44 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

If your really dumped, you won't get away with it, just gotta deal with it.
Old 05-08-12, 11:17 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vietunit
If your really dumped, you won't get away with it, just gotta deal with it.
amen to that. i recently just ripped off my brand new o2 sensor....after breaking the other one from being too low. lol.

i learned that if i go with bigger tires up front, i'll rub more, but it keeps me from scraping..not exactly sure which one is better...
Old 05-09-12, 12:04 PM
ZachTriggs
Lead Lap

you guys look way to far into all this haha. Lower your car and if you can't figure out to drive it then raise it. Take a grinder to the top of your fender wells if you want to fix that.
Old 05-09-12, 12:40 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZachTriggs
you guys look way to far into all this haha. Lower your car and if you can't figure out to drive it then raise it. Take a grinder to the top of your fender wells if you want to fix that.

use a grinder it solves all problems!
get some air.....
Old 05-09-12, 04:25 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

That's the difference between a grown *** man and kids modding cars. We pay attention to details to do it right.
Old 05-09-12, 10:21 PM
greens14
Lead Lap

what wheels are those? this car is for sale on craigslist right? very clean.

Quick Reply: How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?