Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 03:09 PM
suprus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?

Ive seen alot of sc's that are super slammed and flushed out and I'm just wondering how you guys survive over bumps and stuff? My car is not nearly as low as some of you and the top of my tire hits the top of the inner tire well hard sometimes. Do you guys do something to prevent that or just live with it? Here's how low my car is and you can see its not even that low. And more specifically I hit in the front not the back. The back has plenty of room for wheel travel but the front hits even when I have the coilovers on stiffest setting... Its not the fender lip, its the top of the wheel well thats the prob

Old 04-30-12, 03:20 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

dont have a sc, but i have a slammed GS

i dont have a picture but to give you an idea, i needa drive onto wood before i can fit a scissors jack, then after the scissors jack i use my lowprofile jack.

u just learn to live with it. on really big bumps i acutally reverse into them so i dont scrape frame

acutally for how low i am, i rarely scrape. its all about angles/geometry!
Old 04-30-12, 03:28 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

angles like said above! also i would recommend getting a differential. the 1st week i truely lowered my car on pbms i got stuck on my friends driveway with my rear wheel in the air haha i raised it after that i'll buy a diff whenever i drive my car again.
Old 04-30-12, 03:47 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in regards to your tires contacting the top of your tire well,
my initial thought was for you to go stiffer, but i see you have already done that.

what size wheels are those? 19s?
my next suggestion wouldve been to perhaps get a tire with a smaller profile/series (sidewall Aspect Ratio)
but again it looks like yours are already pretty small/low. what are those, 25 series?

besides stiffer suspension and smaller wheels/tires, the third option would be to take off the wheels, and go up in that tire well with a hammer and just hammer that **** in an upward motion...
that last option is coming from the 240 community and i realize how some people might be hesitant to do such a thing to their precious lexus.
besides stiffer front suspension and smaller tires/wheels, a third option would be to modify your
Old 04-30-12, 03:55 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

didnt notice earlier but running the stiffest/softest setting isnt too good for your coils
Old 04-30-12, 04:20 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, wheel/tire diameter matters a lot when it come to hitting the top of the wheel well. It looks like you have 20's, which is way heavier than 19's (which is ideal for SC's), and weight also contributes to how the suspension rebounds, plus the over all diameter of your wheel/tire is way past the factory specs.

Even before I lowered my SC I really drive slow if not carefully. I never speed over speed bumps, bumpy roads (like roads that has been patched up by multiple layers of asphalt), I brake for dips on the freeway, freeway bridges, etc... Then when I lowered my SC, I just became more cautious than before. Getting that perfect ride height and stiffness really depends on which are you comfortable with and especially your driving habits.

A lot of people ask the same question and I always tell them that when you go low, you can't expect that you can still drive your car like a stock car. Honestly, SC's don't even go as low as Civics or Subi's... I daily drive my SC, it's actually my family car, and I set my height and stiffness to where I can still drive my SC to my usual route. I guess the most important of all is you mod your car according to your liking and comfortability and not what others want. I don't go for that fad nowadays of kids amazement over static slammed BS. They're not gonna help me or pay for my cars' damages (knock on wood) if I catch myself on a bad situation so F what they say and do you.

But yeah, I scrape the top of my wheel well, but not so bad to cause problems. If you want pics click on my link down below. I'm about to update it in a few too...
Old 04-30-12, 04:20 PM
suprus
Driver

haha ya I hear you guys. Its not so much the slow bumps or driveways thats the problem as much as bumps in the road while I am cruising along at 50. Things like train tracks are what im talking about. And not even really train tracks because I can see those coming its the ones I dont see until its too late that screw me up. Ive pretty much tried all those suggestions even hammering out the inside of the wheel well like properD said. I Guess what it comes down to is just sucking it up. Just blows my mind what some of you guys do with the wheel offsets and slamming that ish though
Old 04-30-12, 04:22 PM
suprus
Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
First off, wheel/tire diameter matters a lot when it come to hitting the top of the wheel well. It looks like you have 20's, which is way heavier than 19's (which is ideal for SC's), and weight also contributes to how the suspension rebounds, plus the over all diameter of your wheel/tire is way past the factory specs.

Even before I lowered my SC I really drive slow if not carefully. I never speed over speed bumps, bumpy roads (like roads that has been patched up by multiple layers of asphalt), I brake for dips on the freeway, freeway bridges, etc... Then when I lowered my SC, I just became more cautious than before. Getting that perfect ride height and stiffness really depends on which are you comfortable with and especially your driving habits.

A lot of people ask the same question and I always tell them that when you go low, you can't expect that you can still drive your car like a stock car. Honestly, SC's don't even go as low as Civics or Subi's... I daily drive my SC, it's actually my family car, and I set my height and stiffness to where I can still drive my SC to my usual route. I guess the most important of all is you mod your car according to your liking and comfortability and not what others want. I don't go for that fad nowadays of kids amazement over static slammed BS. They're not gonna help me or pay for my cars' damages (knock on wood) if I catch myself on a bad situation so F what they say and do you.

But yeah, I scrape the top of my wheel well, but not so bad to cause problems. If you want pics click on my link down below. I'm about to update it in a few too...

They're 19's not 20s
Old 04-30-12, 04:24 PM
suprus
Driver

tires are 275/30s in rear and 245/35s in front. I dont really want to go thinner. In fact I wanted to go to 35's in the rear to soften up the sidewall a little for when I have more power going to the wheels so I dont just slip and slide all over the place. Not like 35s are very good anyway
Old 04-30-12, 04:26 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

well said, when your this low u cant expect to speed off.

ill admit its hard to do 65 on the freeway! but thats what it comes down to! you gotta slow down at speed bumps, railroad tracks (i did this with my stock car too) and it saves gas too!

and yes, my civic was SLAMMEDDDDD to the max. i didnt really care as it was a civic and was sparking frame on the freeway!
Old 04-30-12, 04:52 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by suprus
tires are 275/30s in rear and 245/35s in front. I dont really want to go thinner. In fact I wanted to go to 35's in the rear to soften up the sidewall a little for when I have more power going to the wheels so I dont just slip and slide all over the place. Not like 35s are very good anyway
That's another common misconception of people. Just because you have wider tires means its the best for the car. Remember, engineers build cars that are well thought of up to the brand and specs of tires. If you go bigger and wider wheels/tires, you're actually decreasing the factory performance of the vehicle without compensating the suspension, engine performance etc... There's a lot of factors to consider when going aftermarket. Just see how much MPH is thrown off with those wheels you have right now. On mine, there's a 5mph difference when I use my GPS. That means, your car is 5mph slower if it was on stock wheels. Or something like that.

I'm not flaming you btw. You were asking so I'm answering.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
well said, when your this low u cant expect to speed off.

ill admit its hard to do 65 on the freeway! but thats what it comes down to! you gotta slow down at speed bumps, railroad tracks (i did this with my stock car too) and it saves gas too!

and yes, my civic was SLAMMEDDDDD to the max. i didnt really care as it was a civic and was sparking frame on the freeway!
That I couldn't give up. That's another thing I considered prior to lowering. I need to be able to drive to 80mph on the freeway without any major issues. But I brake hard on dips or bumps.
Old 04-30-12, 05:11 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suprus
haha ya I hear you guys. Its not so much the slow bumps or driveways thats the problem as much as bumps in the road while I am cruising along at 50. Things like train tracks are what im talking about. And not even really train tracks because I can see those coming its the ones I dont see until its too late that screw me up. Ive pretty much tried all those suggestions even hammering out the inside of the wheel well like properD said. I Guess what it comes down to is just sucking it up. Just blows my mind what some of you guys do with the wheel offsets and slamming that ish though
I would suggest planning out your route, to avoid those tracks and dips in the road. This is coming from someone that had a 97 Q45 that was slammed. I would always plan out my route or know what lanes to be in our out of at a certain area., even though it was slammed I knew when i could go 80mph and when I had to slow down to avoid bumps. for me now its second nature, even on my rims specs and my tires I still rub occasionally on big dips.
Old 04-30-12, 05:34 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They don't , Girl friend don't like, The law don't like, Most drive ways don't like, Oil pan don't like.

We in trouble..
Old 04-30-12, 06:02 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

What kind of wheels are those? Your car looks very clean!
Old 04-30-12, 07:36 PM
suprus
Driver

That's another common misconception of people. Just because you have wider tires means its the best for the car. Remember, engineers build cars that are well thought of up to the brand and specs of tires. If you go bigger and wider wheels/tires, you're actually decreasing the factory performance of the vehicle without compensating the suspension, engine performance etc... There's a lot of factors to consider when going aftermarket. Just see how much MPH is thrown off with those wheels you have right now. On mine, there's a 5mph difference when I use my GPS. That means, your car is 5mph slower if it was on stock wheels. Or something like that.

I'm not flaming you btw. You were asking so I'm answering.:
What did I ask? lol The whole point (for me) of getting wider tires was so that I would have better traction when Im trying to put 500hp to the ground and when I am in a corner. I want the most amount of tire possible to be on the pavement. If I kept stock wheels I would never be able to get above 4500rpm. Thats why I didnt want to do the whole stretched tire super hella flush crazy camber thing. I want to go really fast not look cool sitting in a parking lot. So maybe the rims would decrease the performance of the car if the car was factory stock like you said, but my car aint stock no mo. I just wondered why no one else ever says anything about their wheels scraping the wheel wells, but I guess it happens to everyone so its expected these days..

Quick Reply: How the hell do some of you guys get away with riding so low?