Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Line Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 04:45 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Line Dilemma

Morning,

I've been a member here for a few years, but rarely post. In fact I think this is my first post in the Suspension and Brakes forum.

Here's my situation: I own a '95 SC400 and the front brake hoses/lines are deteriorating. The brake hoses/lines are about $60 a side through my local dealer. Being the price is pretty close to what I've seen stainless steel braided brake lines go for, should I go with a full set of them or just go with the OEM front lines? My thought is, if the front hoses/lines are deteriorating the rear will follow soon.

A little about the car: The car has 180,000 miles on it and is our family's third car; however, it is my daily driver. I do not track the car, nor do I ever wish to in the future. I plan to get the car resprayed sometime this year and give her some new leather seat cover.

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Mousiee
Old 05-01-12, 05:50 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would go oem, the reason behind this is simple. Youre probably the first one to replace brake lines on your car. Since they lasting you about 17 years, you may be able to get another 17+years out of new oems. You said you wont be tracking your sc, thus upgrade to stainless is not nessesary ( it does change the way the brake pedal feels too) since you dont have a big brake kit. Hard brake lines can be built(bent) with the right tools and proper techniques( Lexman custom made his entire brake lines and even deleted some stuff) if you want to save some money vs oem. As for aftermarket I can't speak for, too many fails out there
Hope that helps
Old 05-01-12, 06:09 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do them all. Do them stainless.
Don't look back
On a stock style pad, I doubt you would even feel the added precision of a stainless line but its a cheap enough upgrade so why not do it.

Either way you choose to go, the fact that they have to bleed your brakes is going to make the car brake 10x better than before assuming you never bled the brakes.
Old 05-01-12, 08:26 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the relies! I think for the money, I'll just go w/ the upgrade, stainless steel braided lines. Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality product @ a good price w/ quick shipping?