Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

any reason for me to switch from f-sport setup to Megan EZ coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 09:42 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
I would tell you to do it. if at any point you want to go low you can do it. The coil overs will most likely provide for better handling and you can always adjust the stiffness. Another thing is that if they ever need to be rebuilt, the Megan headquarters is in city of industry
mm, what do you mean by rebuild?
Originally Posted by A_Grasso
Coils can last way more than 25-30K. It all depends how low you drive, how stiff you keep the dampening and how hard you drive your car. There was a member here who's could lasted like 50k? Also, with springs, your stock shocks have the potential to blow in about 30k miles. Coil overs, in my opinion, are the way to go
so do people typically replace their coils with new ones after certain mileage?

after seeing your car i kinda wanna switch to coils too now
Old 05-10-12, 10:17 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I believe they rebuild your shocks. From what I've heard, most people just rebuild the coil overs. I might sell my LP's down the road in order to purchase BC coils with really aggressive spring rates
Old 05-10-12, 10:25 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ah i see. how much does it cost to rebuild? i heard it's almost better to pay a bit more for a new set
Old 05-12-12, 04:30 AM
fredster2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mycholly
i'm assuming i have to get the set up just right to get max potential for the coilovers? is there an ideal set up for daily driving? I'm driving an IS250 AWD..sorry for throwing all these questions at you guys lol i'm really a noob with these stuffs and hoping to learn
I'm in the same boat as you. The f-sport springs seem to be the "safest" setup in terms of long term durability but they have the least aggressive drop of all of the options.

For AWD owners like us we have to keep in mind that if we drop past a certain height we start to feel vibrations.
Old 05-12-12, 10:28 AM
BF350
Driver School Candidate

coilovers all the way, lot of advantage than springs alone. one of the biggest advantage is that if u put wheels on your cars, you can adjust the height and damper setting if cause if the wheels u put on rubs/scraps.
Old 05-13-12, 01:00 AM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fredster2
I'm in the same boat as you. The f-sport springs seem to be the "safest" setup in terms of long term durability but they have the least aggressive drop of all of the options.

For AWD owners like us we have to keep in mind that if we drop past a certain height we start to feel vibrations.
But the thing with us AWD is that the gap is much bigger than RWD. Last time i checked it was like 4+ fingers in measurement. So with 1 inche drop with springs, the gap would still be big and seems a bit pointless. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 05-13-12, 01:01 AM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BF350
coilovers all the way, lot of advantage than springs alone. one of the biggest advantage is that if u put wheels on your cars, you can adjust the height and damper setting if cause if the wheels u put on rubs/scraps.
I get what you're saying but the vibration problem with coilover is what holding me back right now lol
Old 05-13-12, 03:39 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeckt
where in orlando are you guys located?
Winter springs
Old 05-15-12, 04:17 AM
fredster2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mycholly
I get what you're saying but the vibration problem with coilover is what holding me back right now lol
you'll get the vibration problem with coilover or springs. From what I've read it's really just a matter of how low you drop the car. The perfect balance seems to be right about where H&R/Tein Springs drop the car so that it is aggressive enough but the vibration is barely noticeable. Coilovers can be adjusted for the same thing.