Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

any reason for me to switch from f-sport setup to Megan EZ coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 06:52 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default any reason for me to switch from f-sport setup to Megan EZ coilover?

i currently have f-sport springs and shocks, no problem with them for over a year. now i'm tempt switching to coilover. i don't track my car, and will only drop 1.5 inches at most front and back. any benefit for getting coils over the f-sport setup just for daily sprited driving? speaking of Megan EZ, how is the build quality, do they last long?
Old 05-09-12, 06:58 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My f-sport springs and shocks are about to hit 45k.
Replacement cost is the issue. The EZs come in at half the cost, plus you get precise height adjustability (e.g., a little higher in winter for me). Most of them get good reviews for fitment and quality.
I'll be getting a set.

I've gone the high-dollar coilover route twice now, and was left with an awesome track car but a painful daily driver both times. The EZs are more street oriented, and seem to be right up this car's alley.
Old 05-09-12, 07:27 PM
ZeroSeVen
Lead Lap

Most people opt for coilovers for one main reason... height adjustability. You also have the added benefit of adjusting the damper force of the shock, You decide if your want a stiffer or softer ride.

The Megaz EZ might be more suitable for your needs if you're not planning in going really low.

I have the EZs and I've been quite satisfied with it. Rides like stock when I still had my stock wheels and tires. Mine is still going strong at 3K miles. I'll be happy if this set serves me well for 30-40K.
Old 05-09-12, 07:51 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

I would think that the F sport setup is definitely more durable compared to Megan EZs.
Old 05-09-12, 08:48 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

I would tell you to do it. if at any point you want to go low you can do it. The coil overs will most likely provide for better handling and you can always adjust the stiffness. Another thing is that if they ever need to be rebuilt, the Megan headquarters is in city of industry
Old 05-09-12, 08:53 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is it true that all coilovers only last about 25-35k miles? How about Springs? How long do springs last? sorry, i'm still new to this lowering scene and want to find out which one will suite me well as i drive quite a bit and does not have money to switch it every couple years lol
Old 05-09-12, 09:05 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Coils can last way more than 25-30K. It all depends how low you drive, how stiff you keep the dampening and how hard you drive your car. There was a member here who's could lasted like 50k? Also, with springs, your stock shocks have the potential to blow in about 30k miles. Coil overs, in my opinion, are the way to go
Old 05-09-12, 09:36 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

i'm assuming i have to get the set up just right to get max potential for the coilovers? is there an ideal set up for daily driving? I'm driving an IS250 AWD..sorry for throwing all these questions at you guys lol i'm really a noob with these stuffs and hoping to learn
Old 05-09-12, 10:02 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you plan to keep similar height as what you have now, I would keep the F-Sport as it is designed for our car and bilstein shock is good quality shock. And AWD can't be dropped too low anyway. Save the money for purchase and/or installation and use the money for something else.
Old 05-10-12, 12:12 AM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quang
. And AWD can't be dropped too low anyway. Save the money for purchase and/or installation and use the money for something else.
Are you saying i shouldnt drop my car?
Old 05-10-12, 10:10 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ my comment was assuming you don't plan to go lower and like the drop that F-Sport provides. If you plan to go lower, I read somewhere that you would have problem with cv boots if lower than 25" or 24" height.
Old 05-10-12, 12:29 PM
mycholly
Driver School Candidate

haha i think you got me confuse with the person that created this thread lol nvm
Old 05-10-12, 12:36 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Ha, yes, I did.
Old 05-10-12, 01:21 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Coilovers will give you height adjustment and damping control. They also have the stiffer upper mounts which will help a bit with steering feel.

Those are the differences. They each have their own merits.
Old 05-10-12, 03:01 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
The Coilovers will give you height adjustment and damping control. They also have the stiffer upper mounts which will help a bit with steering feel.

Those are the differences. They each have their own merits.
where in orlando are you guys located?

Quick Reply: any reason for me to switch from f-sport setup to Megan EZ coilover?