Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which Rotors for ls400 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 09:49 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Rotors for ls400 upgrade

Hey guys ive read 3 long threads about ls bbk... i just want some opinions on which rotors i should get that are drilled and slotted and quality(gonna last).

Also how much you got it from and where would be nice. Thanks guys.
Old 05-19-12, 09:59 AM
MattieVSS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're better off sticking with normal rotors for your LS. Slotted and drilled rotors are REALLY only needed to stop very quickly. Unless you're a very aggressive driver, those special rotors really arent needed. The factory OE rotors are specifically designed for your car and will give you the smoothest stop. which isnt that what lexus is all about? As for long lasting.....Performance brakes ARE NOT designed to last, they are designed to PERFORM/STOP the car. Performance brakes components will cost you more and wont last as long as OE brake components. I hope this was a little helpful
Old 05-19-12, 12:48 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

I am aware of what slotted and drilled rotors are used for. I also don't like doing things twice, so yes i know that my summer car wont need those rotors except for track days, but im not gonna upgrade just when i wanna go to the track or switch em on and off. I am just asking about brands and reviews. Recommendations please
Old 05-19-12, 12:59 PM
SupraSam
Driver School Candidate

MattieVSS, Please stop talking out of your ***..

Everything you just said is exactly the oposite of the truth.
Slotted and drilled rotors only have the holes and slots for heat disapation and looks...they have nothing to do with stopping power other than cooling the pads and rotors. I have slotted and drilled rotors along with wilwood calipers on my supra and it stops stronger and smoother than any OEM brakes I have seen. Also, "performance" brakes is such a genaric term. The only part of the braking system that wears quickly on "performance" brakes are pads, and that is only in some cases. Otherwise aftermarket brakes are designed for better durability and stopping power.

On my SC I am looking to go with some TT brakes or LS brakes with OEM rotors and pads. Being such a better system aftermarket pads and rotors aren't worth the extra $$ in my opinion.
Old 05-19-12, 01:25 PM
MrCJ305
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SupraSam
MattieVSS, Please stop talking out of your ***..

Everything you just said is exactly the oposite of the truth.
Slotted and drilled rotors only have the holes and slots for heat disapation and looks...they have nothing to do with stopping power other than cooling the pads and rotors. I have slotted and drilled rotors along with wilwood calipers on my supra and it stops stronger and smoother than any OEM brakes I have seen. Also, "performance" brakes is such a genaric term. The only part of the braking system that wears quickly on "performance" brakes are pads, and that is only in some cases. Otherwise aftermarket brakes are designed for better durability and stopping power.

On my SC I am looking to go with some TT brakes or LS brakes with OEM rotors and pads. Being such a better system aftermarket pads and rotors aren't worth the extra $$ in my opinion.
I agree the drilled & slotted rotors are for cooling & looks. But I'd use slotted & drilled because it gives your car that more aggressive look. You can use OEM rotors as well...it'll stop the same.
Old 05-19-12, 02:15 PM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well back to wut the OP was saying. I just did my ls bbk 3 months ago and I went with some stoptech drilled and slotted and theyre great
Old 05-19-12, 09:42 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

I have purchased my rotors from 88Rotors.com in the past for the 3 different cars and never had an issue. Two had slotted and drilled, and the other was just slotted. I will add that either configuration is going to wear your pads just a little bit sooner unless you do a lot of spirited driving at he track or local autocross. Plain rotors are obviously going to save you some money, but the slotted or drilled rotors look especially good if you have aftermarket wheels where you can easily see the calipers and rotors.

Short answer...go to 88Rotors.com.
Old 05-21-12, 12:56 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Thanks for last two post.. gonna go look n shop
Old 05-21-12, 05:28 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just as a big money saving tip... If this car is going to see legitimate track use SKIP the drilled part. Drilled rotors crack. Slotted is fine but for any amount of track use, stay away from drilled.
Old 05-22-12, 08:10 AM
cheez
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try thmotorsports.com if its over $100 its free shipping and of course theres coupon codes. i also forgot to add that the stoptech ones are powdercoated to prevent rust on certain parts of the rotor
Old 05-23-12, 02:08 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Just as a big money saving tip... If this car is going to see legitimate track use SKIP the drilled part. Drilled rotors crack. Slotted is fine but for any amount of track use, stay away from drilled.
X2 drilled rotors due traditionally get small spider lines leaving from the drill holes and are stress points from heat dissipation.
Old 05-24-12, 06:27 AM
Initial J
Driver

i bought R1Concept slotted rotors and i have to say with my brake set up i couldn't be anymore happier.
Old 06-04-12, 01:59 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you want some crazy **** then get yourself some slotted kangaroo paw vented brake rotors and some hawk pads and a neck brace.. LOL
Old 06-11-12, 08:10 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^wwtf^^^^
Old 06-11-12, 10:40 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeahhh... That's what I wanna hear.. lolol

Quick Reply: Which Rotors for ls400 upgrade